• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Doncaster v Tranmere

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An opportunity for Rovers to quickly get back on the bike following Saturday's disappointment.

The hosts are in pretty poor form and had a bad result at the weekend, losing at home to struggling Hartlepool. Their supporters don't seem impressed with their January transfer business, so you would think this game presents an opportunity to get back on track. However, regardless of Donny's form I think it will be a much closer contest than the match on Boxing Day. The quick rearrangement of the fixture was a bit of a pain as I am away next week and will miss the game, albeit we clearly need to avoid fixture congestion in the closing weeks of the season.

In terms of selection, I think Hendry will start in place of Merrie but we will otherwise be unchanged. I have been impressed by Chalmers, who I think might offer more in general play than Hawkes. However, Josh's goals from midfield have been invaluable and it is difficult to justify leaving him out.

None of our direct rivals play in midweek and a victory would take us up to tenth position. A win would certainly be a boost ahead of three vital games against promotion contenders, and we really need to take a point from the game as a minimum.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A win would be a massive boost indeed especially with a decent Salford side coming to PP on Saturday. Doncaster were very poor on Boxing Day, overdoing the playing out from the back which ironically led to Stockports third goal yesterday.

Agree there won’t be many changes but I’d expect hendry to start after his impressive cameo. Despite the goals of hawkes it wouldn’t shock me if Micky did drop him for chalmers.

The game could probably go either way but after losing at home to Connor Jennings lowly Hartlepool we may well suffer a reaction from the home side.

Prediction: a draw which does neither side any favours

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm going, nuff said.

Donny fans don't seem happy with their manager or team at present.

Micky seemed relatively content with the Stockport showing, which surprises me a little, although the goals, a few match reports and social media aren't the best guide. While I've no particular beef about Hendry replacing Merrie, have doubts that just one change will make a vast difference.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we really have to win this game. As Sparky says a draw favours no-one. We are in danger of falling behind the chasing pack so just to keep us in contention, we need the three points. I'm hoping the new lads will have had more time to gel albeit it will still take another couple of games for them to form some cohesion on the pitch.

I'd like to see some of the new lads playing from the off as I think we have some real capable players in there that can cause Doncaster some problems. Hopefully we can make this four defeats in a row for the hosts.

Player
Manager
John King
While I've no particular beef about Hendry replacing Merrie, have doubts that just one change will make a vast difference.
In the medium term, I would agree. If we stick with the core of the existing squad we know we are unlikely to finish higher than mid table, so I would imagine the new signings will be gradually integrated in the weeks ahead.

However, I think Hendry offers something significantly different to the other midfielders and will make a difference.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
However, I think Chalmers offers something significantly different to the other midfielders and will make a difference.
Agreed and that is what we need. Playing the same team that got us to 14th after 28 games will only yield a similar set of results for the rest of the season.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I think we really have to win this game. As Sparky says a draw favours no-one. We are in danger of falling behind the chasing pack so just to keep us in contention, we need the three points. I'm hoping the new lads will have had more time to gel albeit it will still take another couple of games for them to form some cohesion on the pitch.

I'd like to see some of the new lads playing from the off as I think we have some real capable players in there that can cause Doncaster some problems. Hopefully we can make this four defeats in a row for the hosts.
I do agree. Micky needs to slot the new lads in where he can. Even if regular/best first eleven player gets the axe. At the end of the day they were part of the team that did OK, but were unlikely to get us in the pro.otion mix. Presumably the most of the new players were not brought into to sit on the bench. Equally the new players would be disappointed to be limited to bench warming.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I like this site as comments are reasoned if inevitably not agreed by all. Equally I like Mellon as he is easy to read and his decisions rarely surprise, however with more changes than used to be seen as healthy in a summer- a lot is up in the air.
The use of all five subs, with the first new boy not even used this time change is in the air. The introduction of speed or physical presence is the prime objective of replacements, it is however unfair to compare directly such game changers with those they replaced after a long shift.
I'd like to see O'Connor left to anchor a midfield with all four in front of him advancing more behind Hemmings, can't see that happening though.
The bench intrigues me, with T-C coming in probably for Burton or maybe Lewis?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This is a decent chance to get back to winning ways as they are a poor team who lost at home to Hartlepool on Saturday.
I'm going for a 2 0 win

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I like this site as comments are reasoned if inevitably not agreed by all. Equally I like Mellon as he is easy to read and his decisions rarely surprise, however with more changes than used to be seen as healthy in a summer- a lot is up in the air.
The use of all five subs, with the first new boy not even used this time change is in the air. The introduction of speed or physical presence is the prime objective of replacements, it is however unfair to compare directly such game changers with those they replaced after a long shift.
I'd like to see O'Connor left to anchor a midfield with all four in front of him advancing more behind Hemmings, can't see that happening though.
The bench intrigues me, with T-C coming in probably for Burton or maybe Lewis?
Burton played fairly well coming on in the Orient game and with an assist and nearly grabbing an equaliser late on at Stockport, it would be a surprise if he doesn't make the bench. Know very little about the Newcastle kid and it will be interesting to see if he features at all tomorrow.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The hosts have lost four out of their last 6 and the last three in row. Apparently on Saturday the atmosphere was bordering on toxic after their home defeat to lowly Hartlepool.

We must therefore get the first goal. I hope Micky makes some positive changes and we don’t do the old sit back until half time, keep it tight and try and nick a goal in the second half.

We all know what happens when we’re up against an out of form side….

ADD

Player
Norwood
We need to win this one pure and simple as Ian says and absolutely no reason why we can't.
Personally I would expect Burton to remain on the bench come what may even if Turner- Cooke is in the squad.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Got a feeling there might be the odd radical change in the line up. Henry in possibly nailed on, but he might make room for Chalmers and/or the Newcastle lad.

Player
Manager
John King
Hendry and Walker both come into the side, as I suspected they would sooner or later. O'Connor is on the bench but Merrie drops out of the squad.

A positive selection I think.

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The midfield 2 have been poor in the last few games and deservedly drop-out

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Hope Walker is mobile enough when Hendry gets involved further up the field.
Credit to Micky - Nice to see the new lads get a chance.

Player
ian goodison
glad to see the changes although I would have gone 1 step further and played chalmers before hawkes/morris saying that MM has been quite radical for him

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good news to see the new faces. Come on Rovers!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLCs predicted central midfield into action a little earlier than expected. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. Disagree with bigmart as I thought Merrie had a decent game v Orient, however it’s looking clear that he won’t be around next season so perhaps no surprise he’s missing tonight.