• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Doncaster v Tranmere

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I thought he played well for 45-60 minutes, but probably should have been taken off in the second half.
He did show that he's going to be a top player for us when fit. Maybe bringing him on for 30mins for game time would have been better as he didn't look match fit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was surprised Micky was so critical of the team after the match. I know we lost 2-0 but there were elements, especially in the first half that we can play football. It was going quite well and we were controllling the game until the second half. We have the same problems up front but we've had them for some time now. Maybe he was just fed up.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was surprised Micky was so critical of the team after the match. I know we lost 2-0 but there were elements, especially in the first half that we can play football. It was going quite well and we were controllling the game until the second half. We have the same problems up front but we've had them for some time now. Maybe he was just fed up.
Yes, they were my thoughts. I did not think it was that bad a performance overall, just an incredibly disappointing result.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Yes, they were my thoughts. I did not think it was that bad a performance overall, just an incredibly disappointing result.
You've nailed it there. I thought we played some decent stuff and before they scored I thought it was only a matter of time before we broke through. BBC stats underline this (61% possession, 18 shots to their 6, 9 corners to their none). It was so gutting because despite such dominance we let them score on both their first two meaningful attacks, more than an hour in. If you can't convert your domination into goals then you're always putting yourself at risk of suffering what happened last night. It may be a cliche but the old saying about the first goal being so important was underlined brutally last night.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having now had a chance to look at the match footage; the view of the opposite end where both Doncaster goals went in, isn't great, I'll lob my thoughts into this discussion.

Firstly the goals. At the time, I wondered if Hewelt was at fault for the first goal, but it's clear that it was a bit of a freak, taking a significant deflection. I agree with Sparky's assessment that Bristow could do more to cut out the initial cross and Walker was easily turned, but there wasn't much pressure put on the striker, the defence seeming to adopt a watch and wait approach. The second was definitely preventable and although Davies might have done better passing it back, even when Walker lost possession, we should have been doing more defensively to make it difficult for them, instead of looking like the parting of the Red Sea. Aside from the goals, Hewelt had smothered a half chance a few minutes earlier but in terms of Doncaster attacks, that was just about it.

Next defending. Last night showed that the problems go much deeper than an inexperienced keeper, Hewelt did most things well in this game. As well as that mentioned above, there was a tendency to give away silly free-kicks, in fact Hendry got wrongly booked for an offence committed by Tom Davies. Can't quite put my finger on why, but Turnbull and Davies, both capable at this level, don't seem to have quite clicked as a pairing. There didn't appear to be as much protection from the new midfield as usual, perhaps that will come with time. Dacres-Cogley had another indifferent game, is he, even at at a sub-conscious level, reacting to being unable to move on in the January window? Bristow was arguably the better of the full-backs last night, but it is troubling that the defensive side of his game in particular positioning and awareness of danger don't seem to be developing. Despite the January departures, Micky chose not to reinforce the defence and it is clear that Brad Walker, at current levels of fitness, would struggle to fill in defensively if required, so we're pretty much stuck with the current four and Jameson/O'Connor as stop-gaps.

Up front, Hemmings is not delivering consistently and I'm not convinced, particularly with his lack of aerial strength that he's suited to a lone-striker role. Thought Saunders played quite well, but given his pace, it's a shame that none of his teammates tried giving him balls to run onto. For differing reasons none of the other forward options look like making a significant impact. Jay Turner-Cooke is described as an attacking midfielder, so it's unlikely that he'll have a significant contribution to make, although we hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Regan Hendry was probably the pick of those in a green shirt. I liked the way he made himself available for the return ball and wasn't afraid to have an attempt on goal. It remains to be seen if he has the killer pass in his repertoire. Brad Walker's was a curate's egg of a performance; good in parts. The attacking side of his game was good and he does have the ability to conjure something out of nothing and pick a pass. Less convincing defensively and until he's nearing full fitness, it might be wiser to use for part of the game and treat primarily as an attacking midfielder and selecting his partner in line with that. approach.

I think Micky was right to be downbeat after that performance. Rovers played fairly well in the first half, without ever getting full control by converting possession into goals. However, the way we imploded after conceding an unfortunate first goal raises again questions about the character of the team. With hindsight he might also be recognising that Walker should have come off earlier and whether the right choices have been made in re-vamping the team.

drwhoman

It is a simple fact that if you do not take chances when on top then you are always open to the sucker punch of a deflected goal! Our striking options are a reflection of our financial position. It is easy to blame the owners and MM but where would be without them? Still in the National League or NLN? So many ex League clubs live in that world!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It says more about Mellon !
I tend to agree. For whatever reason, although attitude seems unlikely, MM has always had doubts about Merrie, usually the first to get pulled when things aren’t going well, bringing in Warrington in last season and two central midfielders this window, when other areas seemed in more need of strengthening. It doesn’t help that Chris doesn’t fit neatly into a defensive/attacking midfielder bracket. I’ve come to accept that Micky’s mind is set on this and Merrie will be gone in the summer.

O’Connor had been looking a bit jaded, although didn't hear much criticism about how he played at Stockport, so it made sense if the manager believed Walker was fit enough, to try a change. That didn't work out. While in an attacking sense, Walker did well, defensively less so, although his height helped in some of the sessions of head tennis. Too early to judge Walker as a defensive midfielder yet, but his current levels of fitness make him unsuited to that role at present. Arguably both Walker and Hendry are upgrades on the previous midfield pairing, but at Doncaster they didn't protect the defence enough in the second half. I would be surprised if Walker gets more than a half on Saturday.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Yep I agree. I thought there were positives to be taken out of how we played. I think Micky's disappointment was that we didn't create enough clear cut chances. And is that the strikers fault through lack of clever movement, or midfielders not picking the clever pass and providing the chances. TBH we have decent athletic full backs, and whipped balls into the box are great, but it would be nice to see them get they're heads up and pick someone out on the edge of either box or the pen spot.
For me instead of another striker i'd get the two cleverer and most skilful players playing closely behind him eg Morris and Chalmers...both of whom also work to get the ball back. Maybe Hendry, O'Connor and Walker/Merrie in a midfield. 4,3,2,1

I don't think the 18 shots on goal were anything to write home about. A few times the shot was a poor choice.

Player
Manager
John King
I tend to agree. For whatever reason, although attitude seems unlikely, MM has always had doubts about Merrie, usually the first to get pulled when things aren’t going well, bringing in Warrington in last season and two central midfielders this window, when other areas seemed in more need of strengthening. It doesn’t help that Chris doesn’t fit neatly into a defensive/attacking midfielder bracket. I’ve come to accept that Micky’s mind is set on this and Merrie will be gone in the summer.

O’Connor had been looking a bit jaded, although didn't hear much criticism about how he played at Stockport, so it made sense if the manager believed Walker was fit enough, to try a change. That didn't work out. While in an attacking sense, Walker did well, defensively less so, although his height helped in some of the sessions of head tennis. Too early to judge Walker as a defensive midfielder yet, but his current levels of fitness make him unsuited to that role at present. Arguably both Walker and Hendry are upgrades on the previous midfield pairing, but at Doncaster they didn't protect the defence enough in the second half. I would be surprised if Walker gets more than a half on Saturday.
The only way Walker will get match fit is by playing, and he and Hendry are better players on the ball than the two they replace. The defensive side of Walker's game will get better as he gits fitter.

In terms of the control of midfield possession, we looked better on Tuesday night than we have all season in my view. If we persist with Merrie and O'Connor as a central pair, we know we won't be good enough to challenge at the top of the table.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The only way Walker will get match fit is by playing, and he and Hendry are better players on the ball than the two they replace. The defensive side of Walker's game will get better as he gits fitter.

In terms of the control of midfield possession, we looked better on Tuesday night than we have all season in my view. If we persist with Merrie and O'Connor as a central pair, we know we won't be good enough to challenge at the top of the table.
Like it or not, Walker shared some of the culpability for both goals we conceded. Accepting, for the sake of argument, your perception of greater control in midfield, ultimately, it didn't actually count for anything against a poor Doncaster side, in any event. It's a judgement call whether the risk of similar errors by a player lacking fitness is outweighed by the individual regaining some fitness and greater control in the middle of the park and for me that is far from clearcut. Even if we had Odegaard and Rodri in central midfield, we're unlikely to be good enough to challenge at the top of the table because of unrectified weaknesses elsewhere in the squad.

Player
Manager
John King
Like it or not, Walker shared some of the culpability for both goals we conceded. Accepting, for the sake of argument, your perception of greater control in midfield, ultimately, it didn't actually count for anything against a poor Doncaster side, in any event. It's a judgement call whether the risk of similar errors by a player lacking fitness is outweighed by the individual regaining some fitness and greater control in the middle of the park and for me that is far from clearcut. Even if we had Odegaard and Rodri in central midfield, we're unlikely to be good enough to challenge at the top of the table because of unrectified weaknesses elsewhere in the squad.
Greater control of midfield will improve us in the long term. All parts of the team need to function effectively if we are to be successful.

The alternative of sticking with Merrie and O'Connor has already been tested to destruction, and won't take us any higher than mid table.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Walker will be a top player for us, but his lack of fitness was clear the other night and played apart in Donaster goals. I'd bring him on in the second half. As it stands O'Connor/Merrie are no mugs and have had their fair share of MOM nominations. Sub one 2nd half for Walker. We have some clever enough players in Morris, Hendry and Chalmers to get us playing In the meantime.

Reactions: Boz