• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Comings and goings

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Hi own manager obviously rates him. Still looks a bit lightweight - presumably he is one for the furture.

Someone mentioned Ian Sharps might be coming back to fill the void in central defence - has he been released from somewhere. I recall he was at Shrewsbury or Rotheram?

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Could Glackin be part of the search for a replacement for Max, who it is rumoured has turned down a new contract? Obviously, the media linkage to Celtic, Burnley or Brighton may well have influenced his decision.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Could Glackin be part of the search for a replacement for Max, who it is rumoured has turned down a new contract? Obviously, the media linkage to Celtic, Burnley or Brighton may well have influenced his decision.
Hope it's not Celtic as we'd get no compensation, as happened with Ash.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hi own manager obviously rates him. Still looks a bit lightweight - presumably he is one for the furture.

Someone mentioned Ian Sharps might be coming back to fill the void in central defence - has he been released from somewhere. I recall he was at Shrewsbury or Rotheram?
Sharps has been at Burton, but deemed surplus to requirements. Mansfield was the most likely destination, but now we've expressed an interest, who knows...

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
Talking of defensive reinforcement, isn't local lad jon otsemobor available on a free still? I think we had him for a couple of games not too long ago.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Talking of defensive reinforcement, isn't local lad jon otsemobor available on a free still? I think we had him for a couple of games not too long ago.
The poor lad injured himself early on falling into the crowd and never played for us again. He might be worth another punt.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I came across the following when I was looking at potential free's for us to look at. There are some interesting names who are actually unattached...not sure alot would want to come to a struggling league two club though!

http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/football_club.aspx?football_club=unattached

What do you think?
I agree with you. If we've heard of them, we probably can't afford them! I notice that Jake Cassidy has left League One Notts County and is now with our rivals, Southend United. I assume we could have signed him, but chose not to.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The poor lad injured himself early on falling into the crowd and never played for us again. He might be worth another punt.

He was awful during his loan spell last season and I don't think he is a serious option to be honest.

Ian Sharps may be a decent signing (assuming he was interested), but at 34 his best days might be behind him.

M

Mal

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/754254617?-297:792

Despite the assertion by some that we have a poor defence, we are 10th out of 24 as regards goals conceded. The area for improvement is/was in scoring goals. Hopefully this has now been addressed with recent signings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Didn't think Sharps was still playing. Always liked him. Remember him and Mike Jackson pushed Goodi out to left back in the Brian Little era.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Whilst I think the Jennison Myhre-Williams loan signing seems good business, and acknowleging that attack is the best form of defence, I share some of the concern expressed at the potential fragility of the defence. Given that we may not have Holness for most, if not all, of the remainder of the season I notice that Josh Thompson's loan from Colchester which was extended in early January actually now expires on the 24th of this month. Unless this loan is renewed again we certainly will need further cover in the central defensive positions sorting fairly quickly.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/754254617?-297:792

Despite the assertion by some that we have a poor defence, we are 10th out of 24 as regards goals conceded. The area for improvement is/was in scoring goals. Hopefully this has now been addressed with recent signings.
The trouble is that Donacien has been recalled by Villa, Thompson's loan ends after the Pools game and I don't think it can't be extended further and Holness is out injured, probably for the rest of the season; in a nutshell we're down to the bare bones defensively. Micky is aware, but hasn't been able to recruit further.

Myrie-Williams, not sure. The positives were that goal at Leeds and stepping up to take a penalty in a home game when more senior players chickened out. Ronnie mainly played him on the right-wing, despite being a left-footer and JMW apparently prefers that. He came back to PP about a year later on loan, can't recall the side and was played on the left-wing, to my mind looking better. He's been around the houses since.

Player
Manager
John King
I actually rated Myrie-Williams more than most of our supporters, his performance at Elland Road being the obvious highlight, and I am pleased by this signing. Significantly, his best playing days came under Adams at Port Vale where he won promotion with them and was selected in the team of the year (I also seem to remember an impressive performance against us in the JPT in that period). Hopefully Micky will be able to get him going again.

I don't think there is any doubt that the defence needs strengthening. While we might have a decent defensive record under Adams, playing four at the back at the weekend we looked a bit shaky, and with the uncertainty surrounding Thomson and Donacien we have to bring at least one centre half in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
JMW, probably a good signing at this level and has a lot more experience under his belt.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Don't forget JMW was a teenager when he last played for us eight seasons ago and he's still only 26. He should be at his peak for a winger. Although his career has been up and down with a lot of clubs including several loans. As RLC says, his most productive period was under Micky at Port Vale, where he was a regular, scored a high percentage of his goals and helped Vale to promotion to League One. For some reason, he rejected Micky's offer of a new contract and joined Scunthorpe last summer. Clearly, it hasn't worked out and he's trusting Micky to get him firing again.

I'm pleased with this move. As wingers go, he's probably as good as we're likely to get. And he's here till the end of the season. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As with others I am pleased with this move but was a tad surprised given most people know we have defensive issues plus only last week we signed 2 left footers in Taylor & Molyneux. The good thing is that JMW can play on the right and I've always liked wide players who can come inside on their stronger foot. As BBTC says he is a good age too, has plenty of experience and was done very well in L2 in the recent past.

We must have a decent sized squad now and hopefully can offload some of the 5 transfer listed players.

What is the situation with Max? Rumours were of a 750k move to Brighton which would be great given he is out of contract and has really only had one good season at the lowest level of league football. I would snap their hands off personally although he would be an obvious loss but not irreplacable if we got some funds.

Player
Manager
John King
What is the situation with Max? Rumours were of a 750k move to Brighton which would be great given he is out of contract and has really only had one good season at the lowest level of league football.

I don't think that is completely fair. When Wallace got injured in 2012-13 he did a very capable job as his stand in considering his age and lack of experience. Last season he was played out of position by Ronnie much of the time, which probably hindered his development.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Rumours on another site of a central defender coming in this week, likely to be a permanent deal but no names mentioned.