• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Comings and goings

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Taylor apparently doesn't like playing as wing-back, so maybe a change of formation so he can be deployed as a pure winger.

Molyneux has served his time and hopefully learned from it. He doesn't seem to have done that badly in his spells at Accrington. Again, although he started as a left-back, seems he plays better going forward, though perhaps he could do the wing-back role.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm slightly underwhelmed by these two signings. It's strange that Micky pays money for a player he released from Port Vale only a few months ago, while the other can't even get into a team near the bottom of League One. However, Micky knows them both and we have to trust him.

As a general point, I have a lot of sympathy for our manager. He has very little money to splash out, we are not the most attractive career move for a good player and six-month deals will only bring in those who are desperate for a club. I can't wait for this season to end.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'm slightly underwhelmed by these two signings. It's strange that Micky pays money for a player he released from Port Vale only a few months ago, while the other can't even get into a team near the bottom of League One.

I am far more positive about these signings to be honest. If you read the comments of the Mansfield fans, Taylor is one of their better players and he featured regularly in a Port Vale side that won promotion from this division a couple of years ago. And when was the last time we prized a decent player away from a club with a transfer fee ? I think your comments are slightly harsh on Palios, as I am sure will be spending more money than any other side in the bottom six in the transfer window - probably more than most teams in this division. We are not the paupers of the bottom two divisions any longer.

Molyneux also has a decent reputation at this level, despite any misgivings about his character.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think your comments are slightly harsh on Palios, as I am sure will be spending more money than any other side in the bottom six in the transfer window - probably more than most teams in this division. We are not the paupers of the bottom two divisions any longer.
I'm not at all critical of Palios. He's rescued the club with his own money. But he's not mega-rich and so Micky has limited funds and the club is taking the calculated risk of not offering deals beyond June. I suppose he's ensuring we don't go under financially if we lose our league status.
Molyneux also has a decent reputation at this level, despite any misgivings about his character.
I'm not sure how you get this impression. Crewe fans don't rate him and he hasn't done much. However, Micky knows more about them and should be able to get the best out of them. I hope they repay his faith and earn themselves a longer contract.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Molyneux seems to have lost his way a little, although Accrington fans wouldn't have minded keeping him, largely based on his successful first spell there. Will have to see how he fares.

It looks as though Micky will have to turn his mind to the defence if rumours of Holness being out for the rest of the season are confirmed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Defencei is a little bit of a worry if Holness is out for the season. Just hope the two new lads fit in and improve on what we've got. We really need to be picking up more points and has to be a much more constructive second half of the season. Any news on Odejayi?

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Good to see some movement. It looks like these two could be competing for the same place - left mid/left wing back. If play four at the back presumably Ridealgh would get the nod - if fit.

Hope something happens in central defence and striker areas.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Holness reported on the o/s as having serious ligament damage, which suggests we won't see him again this season. I didn't get a clear look at the incident which resulted in the injury, but Kevin Ellison seemed to be involved.

While Ridehalgh can fill in at central defence, arguably this area has become the top priority for strengthening imo. Ian Sharps is one of the names in the frame.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm not at all critical of Palios. He's rescued the club with his own money. But he's not mega-rich and so Micky has limited funds and the club is taking the calculated risk of not offering deals beyond June. I suppose he's ensuring we don't go under financially if we lose our league status.
I'm not sure how you get this impression. Crewe fans don't rate him and he hasn't done much. However, Micky knows more about them and should be able to get the best out of them. I hope they repay his faith and earn themselves a longer contract.

Since the arrival of Palios we have had a mid-table, perhaps top third budget, that is all I was trying to say. The funds Micky has are not limited by League Two standards, as Adams has himself said in interviews. As Boz has pointed out, Molyneux did well in his first spell at Accy which is why he got a move into League One. He might not be good enough for Crewe, but we are no longer a League One side and they are twenty places above us in the pyramid.

drwhoman

A bit of irrelevant trivia I know but I wonder if Lee is related to John Molyneux who started and finished his career at Chester, his best days being at Liverpool in the late 1950s/early 1960s where he partnered Ronnie Moran at full back? On more relevant stuff it is heartening that the squad is being strengthened but I still wonder who is going to score the necessary goals on a regular basis? I see Richards scored two for the reserves the other day although it was only Nantwich. Micky clearly has no faith in him and he is presumably negotiating to go elsewhere given Micky's decision to let him go if Elliott so chooses.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On more relevant stuff it is heartening that the squad is being strengthened but I still wonder who is going to score the necessary goals on a regular basis? I see Richards scored two for the reserves the other day although it was only Nantwich. Micky clearly has no faith in him and he is presumably negotiating to go elsewhere given Micky's decision to let him go if Elliott so chooses.

One of the things evident in the Morecambe game was how few chances we created. Throw into the mix that aside from Odejayi, none of our forwards seem to attack the ball in the box and make things happen that way and neither Laird nor Jennings are going to be prolific from midfield and there is a potential shortfall in goals scoring. I think Taylor will help creating more scoring opportunities and Molyneux might get on the scoresheet.

I take your point about Richards, but both Baggie and Rowe have scored more than him and are also transfer-listed.

Player
Manager
John King
One of the things evident in the Morecambe game was how few chances we created. Throw into the mix that aside from Odejayi, none of our forwards seem to attack the ball in the box and make things happen that way and neither Laird nor Jennings are going to be prolific from midfield and there is a potential shortfall in goals scoring. I think Taylor will help creating more scoring opportunities and Molyneux might get on the scoresheet.

The attached Youtube footage of Molyneux's time at Stanley offers some encouragement......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm sure he'll be able to contribute with some goals at this level. Regarding Bell-Baggie and Rowe, they aren't players built for this league. They are too lightweight at this level when a certain amount of skill and trickery with the ball just doesn't cut it. You've got to be physical, be able to take the knocks and get stuck in. I can't see much of a future for these guys at the club. Same goes for Richards.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

The attached Youtube footage of Molyneux's time at Stanley offers some encouragement......

OK, you've made your point. Clearly someone rates him enough to make a video. He at least will be gutted to lose him. Those are all quality goals but interestingly every goal Lee has scored in his career has been with Stanley. His career has been a rollercoaster with sustained success only at Accrington. It looks like we have someone to take free kicks and penalties, and who can hit the target in general play. Let's hope he can reproduce that form for Rovers.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm sure he'll be able to contribute with some goals at this level. Regarding Bell-Baggie and Rowe, they aren't players built for this league. They are too lightweight at this level when a certain amount of skill and trickery with the ball just doesn't cut it. You've got to be physical, be able to take the knocks and get stuck in. I can't see much of a future for these guys at the club. Same goes for Richards.
Micky obviously agrees with you, Ian. There's also an argument that Stockton is too lightweight, as doesn't attack the ball enough or use his natural strength.

The counter argument is that there's little point in fielding a side of hulks, if there is no end product. Would we turn down a Messi or Silva because they were too lightwieght? If Iain Hume were to become available during his Indian sabbatical and we could afford him[all wishful thinking alas]...?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Micky obviously agrees with you, Ian. There's also an argument that Stockton is too lightweight, as doesn't attack the ball enough or use his natural strength.
I would agree with that. For someone that is 6'1" and weighs nearly 12 stone, he is surprisingly lightweight, very frustrating to watch.

The counter argument is that there's little point in fielding a side of hulks, if there is no end product. Would we turn down a Messi or Silva because they were too lightwieght? If Iain Hume were to become available during his Indian sabbatical and we could afford him[all wishful thinking alas]...?
Think we have to be realistic in our arguments. You can have a physically big team who still have the necessary attributes. Like I said in another thread, Odejayi is the perfect example. Big and strong, but is decent on the floor and can score a goal or two. Perfect for this division. I just think Micky was bang on with his assessment of what is needed in this division.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with both of Ian's points above. Cole has more natural ability than Danny Holmes, and arguably more than Max, but he has not progressed at the same rate as those two players. He does not quite seem to have their drive and appetite. I think he can be a decent player regardless, but if he pushes himself more I think he could play in the Championship.

Regarding Ian's second point, Micky's teams that won promotion from this division were obviously able to play a bit as well as being competitive. Baggie, Rowe and Richards are simply not his kind of players, which is not to say they could not de a decent job in a different set up.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Agree that central defence is a priority given recent injury to Holness. Also striker require, although nice to see Odejayi getting some credit now - some thought he was less than useless. Anyway ref Cole, I have said before he needs to be on the move more in the box and get on the front foot. He has the potential, but just doesn't look like he is going be prolific - his size is not really of consequence unless Micky intend to use him as a target man and lump balls into him.