• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Who stays, who goes?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Andy Robinson has signed a one year deal at Shrewsbury. How many players is that they have signed now? Mellon must have money coming out of his ears!
I really don't think he has the legs now. He struggled massively last season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I really don't think he has the legs now. He struggled massively last season.

I agree that it is a bad signing for them. I can't see him featuring for them on a regular basis and he won't have come particularly cheap.

A great player in his prime, but his fitness and attitude have both deserted him now.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Joe Thompson on trial at Bury came on as sub tonight.
What's going on? Did we not want him or did he not want us? After all the support he got from the club and the fans last season, I'd have expected him to want to stay. I would also expect Rob Edwards to give him a chance to get match fit before judging him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd also like to know what happened with regard to Thompson. Either Rovers weren't prepared to offer him a chance to get fit with a new contract as the incentive or Joe wants to move on. It would be good to hear from both sides as to why we are where we are.

drwhoman

Who knows what is going on at Prenton BBTC?! The squad is clearly inadequate, and too small, as yesterday demonstrated. I have grave concerns for this season but I have no sense that anyone really cares. It is all very well recruiting more scouts but we need decent players right now. More loan players will be signed I suppose, some of whom will be good, the rest rubbish. No wonder Mellon preferred to go to Shrewsbury.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd agree the squad is small, I mean it's never going to be a big squad but we do need more in reserve. Although not sure how you come to the conclusion that the squad is 'clearly inadequate' after a couple of friendlies. Probably best to assess after a few weeks of the season at least! Surely our reliance on loan players and signing lower league journeymen is no surprise to anyone.

drwhoman

I understand what you say Ian and you make a fair point. But by the same token you acknowledge that the squad is small and we that do need more in reserve. That is what I was really trying to say - poor semantics on my part perhaps. We do need people to stay fit and let us hope that they surprise us!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sorry, thought you meant inadequate in terms of lacking quality.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Have been off the radar for a few weeks, but would like to know if goalkeeping places have been resolved - I knew Mooney has gone.?

On another note I read with interest in Sunday's Echo that there was a winger playing for Vauxhalls (has been on a scholarship in USA) and was due to sign for Oxford, but got messed about so ended up signing for Vauxhalls as it fitted in with his teacher training studies and can only train for 3 days. Apparently he the fittest at the club anyway and has pace to burn. Apparently he played well against us - worth a look?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Looks like OFW will be wearing the no.1 shirt.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thanks Ian. I thought he would be on his way. I suppose letting Mooney go has saved a few quid to be spent elsehwere and just rely on Ramsbottom for sub role if required - but get emergency loan if required for longer term.

I have noticed Rowe has got the odd decent review in the friendlies, yet during the season I recall he never had many fans. I thought he was a decent squad player and if he is to be in the mix for a regular place he will have had to have improved, or our expectations have been lowered - even though we are now L2

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
At the Lairds game, Williams was asked whetther he was staying or not to which he replied he was.

If he gets the chance to be 1st choice keeper he will leave as I believe the only offers so far have be to be 2nd choice.

drwhoman

It is being reported on the BBC that Edwards is looking for a left back as Ridehalgh might be out for a while after being injured at the weekend.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well he's positive if slightly delusional.

drwhoman

Time will tell! They have signed some decent players - I would only imagine that Andy would be seen as a 'come on for the last 20 mins and try and do something sort of a player'. I think you said recently that you thought he was past it given his injury issues in particular.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Time will tell! They have signed some decent players - I would only imagine that Andy would be seen as a 'come on for the last 20 mins and try and do something sort of a player'. I think you said recently that you thought he was past it given his injury issues in particular.
I'm amazed any club could afford to sign a player who can only last 20 minutes! After his performances last season, I've no idea why Shrewsbury have signed him. He couldn't even do a job for us last season as a late sub.

drwhoman

Maybe he is playing for widgets with some sort of bonus if he does well? Might be an old pro raging against the dying of the light. It will be an interesting reflection on the relative managerial skills of Mellon and McMahon if he does well!