• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Who stays, who goes?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think Atkinson was that bad a player for his type, it was simply that he was patently unsuited to a defensive midfield role and there wasn't a player of that ilk alongside him. Must play deals should be avoided if possible.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The latest comments from Rob Edwards suggest that while there are players he could sign now, he's playing a waiting game presumably in the hope better players without a club reduce their demands as the new season approaches. I'm unsure about this as any players signed late in the day who've not been involved pre-season will require bedding in. Whether the higher quality compensates for this is a moot point.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The latest comments from Rob Edwards suggest that while there are players he could sign now, he's playing a waiting game presumably in the hope better players without a club reduce their demands as the new season approaches. I'm unsure about this as any players signed late in the day who've not been involved pre-season will require bedding in. Whether the higher quality compensates for this is a moot point.
I agree, Boz, it's better to get everyone in early to help the team gel in time for the first match, but when was the last time Rovers started the season without some last minute panic signings? In truth, Rob's got little choice. Yes, he'll be waiting for good players without clubs to drop their demands, but I expect he'll be hoping to sign a couple of long-term loanees, who tend to become available quite late in the summer.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Even for the players we signed a few weeks ago, there's still a lot of change from last season. Half the team will be getting to know each other and then you've got a new manager with a new style. I think it's going to take quite a few weeks for the team to start gelling and knowing each other's strengths and weaknesses. Will make for an interesting start to the season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Edwards' approach is sensible. We have been offered trialists in recent weeks who we could have brought in to make up the numbers, but were patently not good enough. The problem last season was not a series of last minute panic signings, rather the fact that the players we brought in well in advance of the season were not good enough (Foster, Horwood, Sodje). Better to sit tight and try and bring in a couple of defenders of decent quality; there will still be mediocre unattached players available in two weeks if we are that desperate.

In any case, I think Woodards will probably join us, which just leaves us looking for a back up centre back and another wide man (although Bruna may also be brought in permanently).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Is Woodards any good? Didn't really notice in a positive/negative way at Marine. The only other time I can recall seeing him in action was as part of the Franchise defence ripped up by Dale Jennings.

Player
Manager
John King
Is Woodards any good? Didn't really notice in a positive/negative way at Marine. The only other time I can recall seeing him in action was as part of the Franchise defence ripped up by Dale Jennings.

He was good tonight and against Everton and I would sign him based on what I have seen. Bristol Rovers fans rated him but saw him as too injury prone to play a 46 game season; that is less of a concern if he is effectively providing cover to Ridehalgh.

drwhoman

Six months is a shrewd move given his injury record but it also gives scope to keep him on if he does well. RE is seeming quite smart but early days yet.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Six months.. It's almost a loan signing... If he is versatile, it will help us in defence.

Player
Manager
John King
To be honest, I would prefer that we had got him on a longer deal, but certainly a good addition to the squad.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm with drwhoman on this. We have signed more than our fair share of crocks over the years and it has been costly. This is a win-win. Danny has a chance to get fully match fit and prove he can sustain it. If he does, then surely Rob will give him a longer contract. The club wins as it has cover for Liam for up to six months - and maybe for some other positions - probably at low cost and certainly without too much risk.

drwhoman

I see Jake Cassidy has gone on loan to Notts County. Shame his last spell with Rovers was not more productive. Mind you it cannot do much for a player's confidence if his home club keeps loaning him out!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see Jake Cassidy has gone on loan to Notts County. Shame his last spell with Rovers was not more productive. Mind you it cannot do much for a player's confidence if his home club keeps loaning him out!
I'd have been happy to see him back here, but I would guess he'd be too expensive and Wolves would prefer him to be playing in League One. I can quite see him signing permanently for the Magpies at the end of the season.

Never mind, with a bit of luck, we'll see Stockton and Richards forming a successful partnership. It will make a nice change to see us playing with two strikers after making do with one for so long.

drwhoman

Agreee BBTC but with a small squad Rovers really do need to avoid too many injuries. 46 games is a long season. At least at this stage we do not have any loanees who we have to play. Until you see guys play in your team you can never be sure they will cut the mustard and the last thing a team like Tranmere needs is passengers. I think Stockton and Richards will do well together if they stay fit.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Sounds like a good combo upfront. Only reservation is we will need good engines in midfield and hopefully the strikers will be prepared to put a shift in. We know Cole can put the hard yards in and wonder in anyone has seen anything from Richards that would indicate he will help defend from the front if we play two strikers.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm with drwhoman on this. We have signed more than our fair share of crocks over the years and it has been costly. This is a win-win. Danny has a chance to get fully match fit and prove he can sustain it. If he does, then surely Rob will give him a longer contract. The club wins as it has cover for Liam for up to six months - and maybe for some other positions - probably at low cost and certainly without too much risk.

However, only offering him a six month deal runs the risk of him getting snapped up in January by a club that can offer higher wages. I think there is a possibility he will be chosen ahead of Ridehalgh, so such a situation could be disruptive (as happened when we lost loanees in January a couple of years ago).

drwhoman

Junior Brown has joined Oxford. A player with a bit of potential but not someone RE chose to pursue. Do we need another wide man perhaps?