• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Who stays, who goes?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Being reported in press in Ipswich that the deal is around £3.75 million possibly rising to £7 million.

drwhoman

Jeremy Butler has said on the official site that we will not get a lump sum but a percentage of payments as they are made to Ipswich. The deal with West Ham is tiered based, presumably, on first team appearances and so forth. Better than a kick in the mouth but Rovers will not see a big chunk in the short term.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whatever the payments it's a welcome bonus if we can use it on the squad. Really surprised he's moved up again, fair play, he might have improved considerably since he was with us playing at a higher level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's exactly a month until our opener with York and our squad is paper-thin; goalkeeping uncertainty, lack of cover at the back and no defensive midfielder the main concerns. It would be good if some of the Cresswell money found it's way back to the playing budget, but as time passes optimism wanes.

Player
Goodison

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, yes but it is pretty rough looking that main stand. :eek:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Scott Laird signed 1 year deal, midfielder 28 played 34 times at Southend last season can also play left back quite happy with this signing.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Oh that it was Scott Laird but I'm afraid we've got his injury prone namesake Marc Laird from Southend with only 126 performances (40 off the bench) with 7 different clubs since January 2007. I hope I'm wrong but this doesn't inspire at all.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
wrong Laird, I actually think hes a decent signing for us and will do a good job for us.

With our financial situation I don't know who people expect us to sign.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
wrong Laird, I actually think hes a decent signing for us and will do a good job for us.

With our financial situation I don't know who people expect us to sign.

Our financial situation should be quite good in comparison with other L2 sides; we get reasonable crowds and have funds from player sales. As I've said before, it is hard to understand why we are apparently in such a bad position, yet still able to turn down a significant investment from the Trust, to keep them off the board.

Marc Laird seems to have been well thought of by Shrimpers fans if their message board is anything to go by. He wasn't able to get back into the side after a ligament injury, but most seem sorry to see him go. In that respect and the fact he's only got a 1 year deal; presumably to see how things pan out and if he is going to be constantly injured, it's a reasonable signing.

My doubts more concern squad balance. Laird seems to be a box-to-box midfielder in the style of a Power, Rowe, even Koumas to a degree, rather than someone who breaks up play and fills a defensive role like Jennings, while we also have Gill's experience in midfield. Given the indication is that we're only likely to make one or two more signings and Marc is beyond the age where we can develop and sell, is this the best use of our limited player budget?

drwhoman

Sorry to sound negative but it smacks to me of signing anyone half reasonable who will actually join us. We really do need Alex Hay to come up with those non-league diamonds! If it were not for the betting thing I would be saying that someone should give Goodi a ring and see if he still has his boots!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I tend to agree with Bigmart. I don't have high expectations over the quality of players we can sign. Until PJ finds a buyer for the club I suspect he will only put in the minimum to keep the club competitive.

Laird has had injury issues so is a risk but at least its only a years contract. Drwhoman makes a valid point. I've lost track of the squad now with all the comings and goings but Goodi as a cheap back option would have been a good idea.

Any news on Fonners and Jenno? Surely we have given them an ultimatum by now - stay or leave.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't know much about Laird, so I can't comment on that individual signing, but I agree with Boz: there should be more quality in the squad given the relative size of Rovers and the majority of clubs in League Two and the money that has come into the club over the summer. Clubs with far more limited resources than us have made better signings and I don't believe that our financial situation is worse than Wimbledon, Carlisle et al.

If PJ is merely putting in the minimum to enable us to form a squad, I think it is the wrong strategy. With the lack of balance and quality in the squad at present we risk being draw into another relegation scrap.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Despite my negative comments above, having done some research on Laird it seems he was very highly rated at Southend and, along with Holness, would seem one of the better signings of the summer so far. However, as Boz says above, it does not appear he is a holding midfielder, which still leaves us short in that area; Jennings plays in a friendly for Port Vale tomorrow and now seems certain to leave.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sparky, Jennings is likely to sign for Port Vale he will not be signing for us, as for Fon still no news by all accounts.

Player
Manager
John King
It has been confirmed that Max Clayton of Crewe is on trial at Sunderland but I would be really surprised if they are interested in Kirby; I am not totally convinced he is up to League One / Two football yet, never mind the Premier League. However, if he does go there, good luck to him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Kirby to Sunderland ? Its not April 1st is it ? Must be some sort of joke !

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Joe Thompson on trial at Bury came on as sub tonight.

drwhoman

Andy Robinson has signed a one year deal at Shrewsbury. How many players is that they have signed now? Mellon must have money coming out of his ears!