• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Whites v Super Whites

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Every match we play (except perhaps Lincoln) is against a team chasing promotion or battling against relegation. Yes, all games are winnable if we play at our best - but we are too inconsistent and not clinical enough in front of goal. We have to beat Wrexham and Eastleigh, but we don't play Braintree or Dover again, so are relying on one of them losing both games in hand. Even if that happens, we have to put together our best run of the season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it's fair to say there's a chance but a slim one at that. It's all ifs and buts but you do wonder where we'd be now if our form hadn't dipped so dramatically in the first half of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Every match we play (except perhaps Lincoln) is against a team chasing promotion or battling against relegation. Yes, all games are winnable if we play at our best - but we are too inconsistent and not clinical enough in front of goal. We have to beat Wrexham and Eastleigh, but we don't play Braintree or Dover again, so are relying on one of them losing both games in hand. Even if that happens, we have to put together our best run of the season.

There are probably only 3 teams currently; Lincoln, Bromley, Macclesfield who have nothing to play for. The others all are in danger of relegation or have a chance of making the play-offs. So from that angle, Rovers are currently in no worse a position than any other team. The numbers of sides with something to play for will diminish as the season progresses, but, assuming we're still in with the chance of making the play-offs by then our last 3 games are against sides likely to still be involved in the play-off battle, while there's a slim chance Grimsby will have a chance of automatic promotion in the last game.

I'd agree, given what's gone before, that it's asking a lot for Rovers to make the play-offs though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm with BBTC on this. Just can't see it happening. Too many better teams than us. Prediction at the moment is play offs will be Forest Green, Grimsby, Dover & Eastleigh. The latter have been on a bad run but I think their win last night could be a turning point. The likes of us, Braintree, Wrexham to finish anywhere between 6th and 10th.

The difference between us and last night was hit home with Dover scoring 4. Our downfall (as well as our poor run earlier in the season), is down to not scoring enough goals IMO. And GB must take some responsibility for this. He brought in a half fit striker in Higdon at a crucial time of the season, shipped out the most natural goalscorer we had in Mangan, and hasn't given Margetts a fair chance despite him scoring goals this season for the first team, reserves in Senior Cup, Altrincham, and Stockport (ok a lower level).

The lack of goals in open play is a real problem and GB has contributed to this IMO. Not our only fault of course and to be fair, defensively we have been fairly solid in recent weeks, but I think we'll just fall short.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
All I would add is that we have not been inconsistent since Xmas and as Ian points out, it is entirely our form in the autumn that has cost us. Since Xmas we have averaged two points per game. I agree with sparky that Dover and Eastleigh will probably get the remaining places.

Player
Liam Palmer
Still reckon someone will implode/explode in the final weeks. Still everything to play for. I think we'll creep in to the play-offs and a defeat on Saturday still might not change my mind. Glass half-full since New Year.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hope you're right TT64. Then we have the lottery of the playoffs. Think my glass is half empty.

drwhoman

One should never say never and I will be delighted if we make the play offs but I have to agree with BBTC and Sparky. I think the analysis by the latter is fair with the caveat that I am not sure man for man that some of these teams are actually better than us. We have tended to lose out on the tactical side - GB.

Player
Manager
John King
The difference between us and last night was hit home with Dover scoring 4.

However, it does also show that it was a good point that we got there on Saturday. Dover battered a decent Lincoln side and have scored goals at home all season, but not against us.

I agree that we don't score enough goals, but defensively we have been solid pretty much all season, which we have to give Brabin some credit for.

drwhoman

Agree re your last comment RLC. Signing McNulty was a coup although the likes of Hogan were also doing well until he got injured.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we'd have had a natural goalscorer all season I'm convinced we would have done much better. When you think about the amount of chances we've created in some games but not be able to convert. Quite a lot of us before the start of the season were not expecting an instant return. GB's second season will be make or break for him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If we'd have had a natural goalscorer all season I'm convinced we would have done much better. When you think about the amount of chances we've created in some games but not be able to convert. Quite a lot of us before the start of the season were not expecting an instant return. GB's second season will be make or break for him.
I'd argue Andy Mangan fell into the natural goalscorer category. Norwood's conversion rate doesn't feel that good, though I haven't seen any stats would guess around 1 in 4.
Will Brabin get a second season, if we don't make the play-offs? He was appointed as an 'expert' at this level. We've not had the attractive football promised with the season-ticket price hike and of all our recent managers including Adams, he seems to have least rapport with the fans

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah I think he'll get another season to prove himself.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree with Ian. Barring a disastrous end to the season, assuming we don't go up but finish in the top 10, I think GB will get another year. MP won't want to have to start all over again unless it was really necessary. I am not GBs biggest fan at all but since Xmas things have improved and if we ended the season in good form but not going up, could lead to some good momentum into next season.

Promotion was always going to be a massive task at the first time of asking, but GB has done himself no favours with many odd decisions. But whilst many don't agree with letting Mangan go, signing GTF, and an unfit Higdon at a strange time, GB has made some good signings with the likes of Big Mac, Davies & Norwood.

Boz is right re a natural goalscorer. Norwood does miss chances and don't forget although they count, a number of his goals have been penalties. I reckon Mangan would have had at least 15 by now had he played every week, possibly more. I would argue the same for Margetts were he given the chance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree Sparky about the strange decisions but I am a big believer in giving managers enough time. One season really isn't enough time and I think you really get to make your mark and shape your squad in the second term. Being honest a few of the players he's signed need to go and it will give him a chance to strengthen again.

There will certainly be more doubters and critics if after next season we are not in a better position in terms of league table and squad strength.

Player
Manager
John King
I think it would be harsh and counterproductive to sack Brabin, even if we do miss out on the play-offs by a few points. We have had promotion winning form since Christmas, which we can hopefully carry into next season. Most of GB's transfer dealings have been good (I appreciate there have been a couple of recent exceptions) and we have a strong squad for this level: the last thing we need is another summer of disruption.

I think the board, not just Brabin, made a mistake in promising greater entertainment this season. National League football is simply not attractive most of the time, and that applies as much to Cheltenham and FGR as ourselves. I would take issue with Boz's assertion that Brabin is more unpopular than Adams, who was reviled by the time he left. However, the SWA certainly have not warmed to Gary and I think he does himself no favours. His pitchside demeanour, with the constant berating of officials and the lack of focus on our own players, is irritating. In addition, his insistence after virtually every game that we 'deserved to win it' even when we clearly did not (for example, the two matches last week) annoys supporters who would prefer some honesty.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think it would be harsh and counterproductive to sack Brabin, even if we do miss out on the play-offs by a few points. We have had promotion winning form since Christmas, which we can hopefully carry into next season. Most of GB's transfer dealings have been good (I appreciate there have been a couple of recent exceptions) and we have a strong squad for this level: the last thing we need is another summer of disruption.

I think the board, not just Brabin, made a mistake in promising greater entertainment this season. National League football is simply not attractive most of the time, and that applies as much to Cheltenham and FGR as ourselves. I would take issue with Boz's assertion that Brabin is more unpopular than Adams, who was reviled by the time he left. However, the SWA certainly have not warmed to Gary and I think he does himself no favours. His pitchside demeanour, with the constant berating of officials and the lack of focus on our own players, is irritating. In addition, his insistence after virtually every game that we 'deserved to win it' even when we clearly did not (for example, the two matches last week) annoys supporters who would prefer some honesty.
With only about half a dozen players under contract beyond this season, there's going to be a fair bit of disruption, even if Brabin stays.
I agree with what you say about the fans perspective on Adams by the end, but there were certainly "Micky give us a wave" chants along the way. Can't recall a single one directed towards Brabin, although you go to more games than me and may know different?

Player
Manager
John King
[QUOTE="Boz, post: 35057, member: 19
I agree with what you say about the fans perspective on Adams by the end, but there were certainly "Micky give us a wave" chants along the way. Can't recall a single one directed towards Brabin, although you go to more games than me and may know different?[/QUOTE]
No, I can't remember a single positive chant directed towards brabin all season. I would characterise the attitude of the SWA to him as cold indifference.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree that unless our form plummets before the end of the season it is likely that GB will keep his job. I don't know how long his contract is, but I assume it doesn't just expire in May. However, soon he will need to be told that his job is safe and that he needs to extend the contracts of the players he wants for next season. I would assume he'll want to keep the majority and that few will choose to leave, but you never know. The sooner it's sorted the better. I know that who stays and how much they get paid will depend on which league we are in, but we can't leave it until the end of the season.