• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Whites v Super Whites

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Higdon got injured in the warm up, I think, and according to Brabin was too late to change so that may have accounted for his subdued performance.

drwhoman

Thanks Ian. Silly me I thought Gary might have made a tactical change! (LOL!) If the league table looked any different we would have been more than happy with that point and if RLC reckons they tried hard we cannot ask for more. I was just reflecting on who might stay and who might go if we do not make the play offs. RLC and others who watch the team regularly may have a different view but they seem to have the makings of a decent team that might go better next season with just a bit of tweaking. Whatever finally happens this season, I would be surprised if this was not Steve Jennings last hurrah.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's always interesting comparing the perspectives of the opponent through their local radio station, with that of a Rovers fan, here RLC. From the Dover viewpont our best players were Davies and McNulty, with Kirby and Norwood getting positive mentions and Mekki (their former player) a more negative one. Jennings, RLCs MoM they hardly mentioned, so I'm guessing he functioned in the usual water carrier role.

Drwhoman raises an interesting question about next season's squad, if we don't make the play-offs [or if we do, but don't reach the promised land of L2] I suppose it depends on whether Brabin remains in charge. If that happens I can certainly see Jennings being offered a new deal. I'd like to see Davies and Mekki stay, possibly Harris and Vaughan. However, I'm not sold on the recruiting players in the late 20s/early 30s who've done it before approach adopted this season. If we don't go up, that strategy hasn't worked and the manager, whoever it is, should be looking at a more balanced approach, introducing some youngsters into the mix.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I actually thought McNulty was a bit off the pace today, possibly still feeling his injury. In the first half he looked uncertain when their pacey front three went at him, although he had little protection from midfield. He was better in the second half and Ihiekwe did very well again. Davies made a couple of decent saves, but was not tested that often.

Mekki was man-marked (as several of our players seemed to be) and could not get into the game. He seemed tired and it might be time to give Mackreth a run out now. Jennings got forward well on a number of occasions, in addition to his defensive duties. However, whenever he or Hughes got their foot on the ball in good areas they were generally fouled by the opposition. It was very difficult for us to get our passing game going against a team as physical and cynical as Dover, which is way I think the home games against FGR, Wrexham and Grimsby might actually suit us more.

Regarding the squad, I think we now have a core of decent players who we should try and tie up on longer deals. There is still probably an imbalance between youth and experience, although the signings of Vaughan and Mackreth and Kirby's return to the side have helped in this regard. More generally, even if we do miss out on the play-offs, I think our form from Christmas onwards should be considered when assessing Brabin's performance. If we continue to average two points per game to the end of the season, there is an argument for keeping the manager to carry some momentum over to next year and give us the continuity and stability we have lacked in recent years.

Last edited:

drwhoman

The involvement of some younger players would be a good idea to give physical balance and youthful enthusiasm to the side. This season the Manager seems to have had little or no interest in any homegrown players from the reserve side. In the past there has always been at least one decent young player coming through. Is this not the case at present? Must be pretty uninspiring for them anyway.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You do wonder if there are underlying issues with Mekkis fitness as he regularly fades from games towards the latter stages.

Maybe that's why he hasn't really don't much at previous clubs.

As for the result, as commented it's a good result on the face of it. That depends of course how we do with 2 tough home games coming up that could make or break our season.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Must say I came away from the game not feeling very confident that we are likely to mount a rich vein of form for the run in. The game was awful as a spectacle and only marginally better than Boreham Wood away for entertainment value.

Thought that Dover whilst combative were nothing special at all and had we started with a starting eleven more in keeping with the entirely predictable challenge, the result may have been different . Whilst the debate has moved onto a more strategic level a few further observations from the game:
There was sadly no sign of a partnership developing between Higdon and James Norwood with hardly any interplay and understanding. Higdon does not run for anything and in particular move to attack the crossed ball. Thought his display was woeful with an example being one of the few occasions in the first half that we had a promising move with Hughes crossing from the right with only two defenders back which was very inviting but not pin point with Higdon not moving an inch which prompted howls of shall we say 'disappointment' from the SWA.
The running at the central defence that RLC mentioned reminded me of the Woking away game when the midfield was porous as it was in the first half yesterday. We were improved by the bite of Harris and at our most likely to score after the introduction of Maynard who whilst not my favourite player for technical ability, does bring more of what is required to succeed in many games at this level. Paradoxically the only real clear cut chance fell to Lois with a unmarked header if either side of the keeper would have been a certain goal but alas was directed straight at him. However we did have a couple of other half chances in the final ten minutes after not looking like creating anything hitherto.
Agree entirely with RLC that Steve Jennings was MOM for us and he covered a lot of ground yesterday making runs I thought were of the past and doing all he could in an offensive role as well as breaking up play with great anticipation.
Michael Ihiekwe had a good game making some classy tackles and Davies kept us in the game with a couple of saves with one in particular right near the death bravely with his feet that he took a heavy knock as a result which led to chants of appreciation by the SWA. Thought Jeff Hughes was one of the better players working hard and he does have a good reading of the game.
Yes a battling performance taking something from the game and another clean sheet albeit with the assistance of the crossbar. My wife decided to join yesterday and I thought this would put us is in jeapordy of losing as her never having seen a defeat record has to go one day but thankfully not (this season W3 D2). When asked what was the best part of the game she answered the stop off at Canterbury for lunch on the way which aptly summed it up!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Re the GB debate, I agree with RLC in that success or failure is not the issue. It's whether we have a good foundation for next season. Certainly, if we get to the play-offs this will be a massive achievement and if we finish promisingly, he should stay. If not, we just start again from nothing.

Ironically, if it we fall behind and it becomes clear we are not going up, this should give GB the chance to blood some youngsters. We've seen what a confident Kirby can do, but the balance between hardened pros and enthusiastic young players isn't yet ideal. GB has gambled almost entirely on experience and reputation and it hasn't quite worked so far.

Player
Manager
John King
Must say I came away from the game not feeling very confident that we are likely to mount a rich vein of form for the run in. The game was awful as a spectacle and only marginally better than Boreham Wood away for entertainment value.

In fairness, since Christmas we have been in a rich vein of form, with 8 wins and 3 draws from the last 14, which is almost automatic promotion form. If we fail to get in the play-offs it won't be because of yesterday's result, but because of the home defeats in the first half of the season to Boreham Wood, Barrow and the rest.

With the way Dover approach the game, I don't think it was ever going to be an attractive match yesterday. The reverse fixture at Prenton Park was no different. In general, I think the entertainment value at this level is moderate to low and we just have to accept that until we get back in the League.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
One other player who deserves an extended contract is Ihiekwe, who plays much better in central defence and seemed on both radio Kent and Brightonian's accounts to have a decent day. However Brabin singled him out for some negative remark about having his heart in his mouth when Ihky defending, though he does say he's the ability to become a decent defender. He's never as critical of the senior pros...

Player
Manager
John King
Brabin singled him out for some negative remark about having his heart in his mouth when Ihky defending, though he does say he's the ability to become a decent defender. He's never as critical of the senior pros...

I noticed that. I thought they were daft comments as he was better than McNulty yesterday.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Of course it is a given that we gave ourselves a mountain to climb with the run of disappointing results in autumn and a minor miracle that we have succeeded in getting into the mix.

A point away at Dover may have been a satisfactory result at an earlier stage in the season but I wonder if the more recent form of two wins from the last six games will prove to be a sufficiently rich vein of form to secure a play off place, given that many of our rivals have games in hand?
I sincerely hope that we will find the formation and tactics to string together a run of wins however narrow the margin but I gave an honest personal view that I was not too optimistic but of course there will be many twists and turns to come and that is the beauty of football!

drwhoman

Re RLC's last comment. Gary probably has a more one on one relationship with the senior guys. Had to 'stroke' them to come and play with us maybe. This sort of relationship might explain the spat with Mangan who was prepared to tell it how he saw it. Ihky was not one of his signings either. Anyway, I agree - a daft thing to say.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Re RLC's last comment. Gary probably has a more one on one relationship with the senior guys. Had to 'stroke' them to come and play with us maybe. This sort of relationship might explain the spat with Mangan who was prepared to tell it how he saw it. Ihky was not one of his signings either. Anyway, I agree - a daft thing to say.
Frankly, I find it difficult to work out what Gary's management style is. He doesn't get as excited as Ronnie and you don't learn much in his interviews. Coming from a job in youth development at Everton, you'd think he'd be especially good at getting the best out of younger players, although before he came I was told by a Luton supporting friend that he was not too good at bringing the youngsters through. In fairness, this isn't the best season to blood youngsters. However, it does seem from reports that senior pros can have a poor run and not get dropped, while if youngsters have one poor game they are out. Mekki and Kirby seem to have blossomed lately despite rather than because of Gary's careful nurturing.

Player
Manager
John King
Bad set of results for us tonight with Dover and Eastleigh both winning. Down to sixth.

The only positives were a defeat for Lincoln, which surely puts them out of the race, and a draw for Braintree. The latter have Cheltenham at home on Saturday and hopefully their fixture backlog will start to catch up with them now. Either way, we probably need six wins to make the play-offs.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very bad, and this is why we really need to be converting these draws into wins. There are basically two places left assuming Grimsby secure 3rd place. Of the teams still in this, Dover and Braintree have two games in hand on us and just below us, Eastleigh and Wrexham have a game. We're going to have to go on a pretty mean run now for the last eight games. Agree we need 6 wins out of 8. Can we do it?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thought Bromley might have got something at Eastleigh, given their recent form, but expected Braintree to win.We can't rely on others. 6 out of 8 wins and the games v Wrexham and at Eastleigh must be amongst them. I think it's unlikely, but we'll have to keep hoping

Player
Manager
John King
There is a chance. After Saturday we have four eminently winnable games which could get us right back in there before we play Wrexham and Eastleigh. We won 5 out of 6 just after Christmas, and we just have to repeat that form. Braintree's remaining fixtures are arguably worse than ours. But I accept we are outsiders.