• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Walsall (1) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Walsall

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Walsall (1) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Bescot Stadium
Saturday, December 16, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 16, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Thought Walsall were a decent side to be fair - better than perhaps I had expected. Quicker than us in the first half to the loose balls and they missed an absolute sitter as well from the edge of the 6 yard box. That said on another day we would have scored 2 or 3 ourselves in the first half. Apter looked good again I thought but needs to be given more of the ball. Belehouan despite being partially at fault for the goal (I also thought McGee could probably have stayed on his line given Matt was running away from goal) did pretty well I felt and suspect long term he will do better than Yarney.
Shame we didn't get anything from the game with Morris having a late chance which on another day he would score from but overall we were pretty solid and ultimately had enough chances to at least get a point from the game.
Re Dennis I disagree with Frenchrover - he most definitely is not a "waste of space" and I really hope he doesn't start getting the "Hemmmings" treatment. He is a clever footballer at this level but yes like Hemmings last season is being played in a formation that does not suit given he has no target man to feed off.
Final point, I really don't get why Taylor seems to have been frozen out completely now (despite being given a new contract). Our most natural goal scorer by far of the young players and he can't even get on the bench. Curious to say the least....
Clutching at straws here, but have known young players withdrawn other than training to d extensive strength building in the gym. Taylor maybe weak in this department and the arrival of a high tech man in NA could explain this. That said the fixture glut should see him re-appear. The upside of the roadrunner Saunders is really escaping me, we have to hope that he burst into a position where he can pass to a scorer who will probably be yards behind!!

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
DB your constant sniping at Saunders is starting to grate. While we’re all aware of his limitations, especially in relation to goal-scoring, Harvey offers more than just pace. Although that speed has its uses. He’s 3 assists to his name and one of those was the dink ball over the top for Morris to score, think v Grimsby. He’s also tenacious and does a fair bit of defensive work.

On Sam Taylor, I agree that he may benefit from bulking out, he’s physically fairly lightweight at present and lacks the guile of a Dennis to win foul awards. We saw his limitations in holding onto the ball at Sutton. In an away game, we had 3 attacking players on the bench already and can see why Adkins didn’t pick him. Home matches are different and we should be selecting a more attacking bench, plus Sam is at least as likely to score as Jolley and Saunders, so there is a strong case for him to make the bench there.

Couple of other things, even with the central defensive crisis, Hockenhull didn’t make the bench. If he’s that bad shouldn’t we negotiate to terminate his contract? Rhys Hughes came on as a sub for Curzon Ashton yesterday, has his loan spell been extended?

Player
Aldo
Clutching at straws here, but have known young players withdrawn other than training to d extensive strength building in the gym. Taylor maybe weak in this department and the arrival of a high tech man in NA could explain this. That said the fixture glut should see him re-appear. The upside of the roadrunner Saunders is really escaping me, we have to hope that he burst into a position where he can pass to a scorer who will probably be yards behind!!
I suppose the idea behind Saunders is ti stretch the game, provide a foil for Walkers passing , but a striker with little goal threat himself , I am not sure of the value of that , maybe he is better in training , Sam came on against Mansfield and seemed to get out muscled so maybe the plan is to bulk him up

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
DB your constant sniping at Saunders is starting to grate. While we’re all aware of his limitations, especially in relation to goal-scoring, Harvey offers more than just pace. Although that speed has its uses. He’s 3 assists to his name and one of those was the dink ball over the top for Morris to score, think v Grimsby. He’s also tenacious and does a fair bit of defensive work.

On Sam Taylor, I agree that he may benefit from bulking out, he’s physically fairly lightweight at present and lacks the guile of a Dennis to win foul awards. We saw his limitations in holding onto the ball at Sutton. In an away game, we had 3 attacking players on the bench already and can see why Adkins didn’t pick him. Home matches are different and we should be selecting a more attacking bench, plus Sam is at least as likely to score as Jolley and Saunders, so there is a strong case for him to make the bench there.

Couple of other things, even with the central defensive crisis, Hockenhull didn’t make the bench. If he’s that bad shouldn’t we negotiate to terminate his contract? Rhys Hughes came on as a sub for Curzon Ashton yesterday, has his loan spell been extended?
Hockenhull must be in the chocolate teapot category now, letting his contract wind down saves paying a lump sum. It seems to me that Nigel identifies certain players as having no alternative so seeks to keep them on, when in cases he would normally prefer to refresh. LOC change baffled me however. No one can match Hendry's mobility and McAlear seems able to do a job only. The wingers seem to put in ever longer shifts. The Saunders ploy is fairly obvious.
I suspect Lewis will again get a matchday role, but Hughes, Merrie and a host of others must be in the useless bracket now.
The other Norris smells of some unwarranted use due to his connections? I remain baffled how we have a collection of left backs and just one injured centre forward. Surely we can't gamble on a Norris return we must sign a strong forward, do I need to spell out who we saw yesterday who would fill a role.
I think our first corner was in injury time yesterday so I remain unaware of centre halves abilities up there. Yarney did look safer on the right side, the other lad looked positionally all at sea throughout. I don't want to here someone is young, if they are not good enough it is irrelevant.
I want to build a promotion team and MP wants to develop sales. Both aims seem swamped by future non-league players.
Walsall were very poor

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Having watched the full replay, there was not much in it and we had more than enough chances to take something from the game.

I thought Belehouan was poor in the second half. He lost Matt for the goal following a straight ball through the middle, and a few minutes later was dragged out wide leaving a three v two in the six yard box, with Stirk left unmarked but fortunately missing a sitter.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I actually thought there was going to be a few goals in the game with our makeshift defence and Oldham's mistakes at the back but as Nigel said post match, you've got to take your chances.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having watched the full replay, there was not much in it and we had more than enough chances to take something from the game.

I thought Belehouan was poor in the second half. He lost Matt for the goal following a straight ball through the middle, and a few minutes later was dragged out wide leaving a three v two in the six yard box, with Stirk left unmarked but fortunately missing a sitter.
I haven't seen the full game. Was Belehouan reasonable in the first half? The little I've seen of him, he looks a little bit raw, but some opinions suggest that, despite the error leading to the Walsall goal, he was the better of the two central defenders yesterday. I've seen more of Yarney, who's another on my undecided list. He was highly thought of at Oldham, but while he's had no totally dire games for us, seems a bit disappointing measured against the expectations raised.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I still prefer Yarney of the two. Possibly a bit harsh on Belehouan, but he just does not seem commanding to me and does not fill me with confidence. I think if we were without Davies and Turnbull for an extended period we would leak goals again.

I appreciate the first choice pair were making individual errors in the early weeks of the season, but they have cut them out since the switch to 442.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Belehouan seemd decent enough to me especially considering it was his first League start. Hopefully that will stand him in good stead if he is needed again. Whether either are genuinely good enough however I am unsure.

Yes Belhouan was at fault for letting his man go for their goal but as others have said Turnbull and Davies have both done that on several occasions this season (albeit as RLC said better recently) but indeed last season as well... they are L2 defenders for a reason and Turnbull getting no takers at L1 level despite supposedly trying for a move confirms that in my book.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The fact is the established two are head and shoulders better, only age will get them at this level. Yarney was a liability last home game, on reflection I think Walsall failed to expose them on Saturday. Belehouan went missing when the odd decent cross came in, Yarney saved one with a back flick and you can see Belehouan yards away strolling.
He's 23 and a non-league player. I'd keep Yarney until summer give him a chance and we need cover.
Fans hate us signing locals, but the only time we game the system is by doing just that as they seek to re-domicile before retirement. Otherwise proven players get better offers than we can make.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think Boz hits the nail on the head by saying Beloguan looked raw. Plus that is what you’d expect of course as he’s very inexperienced and only a youngster. It was a tough gig for him second half up against someone at the other end of the scale in the highly experienced Matt (Turnbull would probably have gotten sent off dealing with him! :) ).

Beloguan is 4th choice and one for the future so hopefully will learn from it. JT will be back on Saturday to face his former club Swindon and hopefully Davies injury isn’t serious.

Reactions: Ian

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I think Boz hits the nail on the head by saying Beloguan looked raw. Plus that is what you’d expect of course as he’s very inexperienced and only a youngster. It was a tough gig for him second half up against someone at the other end of the scale in the highly experienced Matt (Turnbull would probably have gotten sent off dealing with him! :) ).

Beloguan is 4th choice and one for the future so hopefully will learn from it. JT will be back on Saturday to face his former club Swindon and hopefully Davies injury isn’t serious.
Two years ago, at 21, he spent in tier 6 never got in the squad, got three starts and got dropped again. Last year more starts but dropped out of the team. I'd guess any profit from Bristow has gone in the expenses of all these failed types.
Should be burying tier 6 strikers not failing to get in the squad. Sorry just cannot see the upside of these signings. The first eleven as we now have, only LOC and Hawkes when he plays are development signings. The rest are seasoned pros. Apter would be a great signing but relies on Blackpool kicking upwards. Taylor could be anything. Meanwhile we are paying for about 8 undeveloped, I forgot about Jolley- still time there maybe

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I didn’t realise he was 23, assumed a bit younger and DB makes a valid point about if he’s been a striker and we’d signed him and he’d looked out of his depth then we’d be thinking it was another Darren Stephenson.

I guess he’ll be cheap and plenty of players work out after taking a punt on them. Will be tough for a young lad though getting in ahead of Turnbull and Davies albeit left footed centre backs are often in demand. On that subject manny monthe is a regular bench warmer for league one Northampton these days, wonder if he’ll look for first team football in January

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I didn’t realise he was 23, assumed a bit younger and DB makes a valid point about if he’s been a striker and we’d signed him and he’d looked out of his depth then we’d be thinking it was another Darren Stephenson.

I guess he’ll be cheap and plenty of players work out after taking a punt on them. Will be tough for a young lad though getting in ahead of Turnbull and Davies albeit left footed centre backs are often in demand. On that subject manny monthe is a regular bench warmer for league one Northampton these days, wonder if he’ll look for first team football in January
Ash Taylor might be a better fit, Manny won't be a Palios type after his disciplinary. Ash seems more in favour after Sparky but who knows? Presume he is still locally attached and was a fan.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ash Taylor might be a better fit, Manny won't be a Palios type after his disciplinary. Ash seems more in favour after Sparky but who knows? Presume he is still locally attached and was a fan.
Ash i think lives near Heswall, I've seen him and his wife around town a few times and his young son is in school in Heswall

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ash i think lives near Heswall, I've seen him and his wife around town a few times and his young son is in school in Heswall
Yes plus he has a local coaching set up I think. The Ash Taylor Academy or something.