• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Walsall (1) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Walsall

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Walsall (1) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Bescot Stadium
Saturday, December 16, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 16, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
With Rovers on a five match unbeaten run, they take the relatively short trip to the Bescot Stadium to take on Walsall this Saturday. The Saddlers have been struggling recently but will be in confident mood after an excellent 2-1 away win at high flyers Notts County on Saturday. Although Rovers' form has improved of late they are still not picking up enough points away from home and this would be a great opportunity to put that to bed and go level with Walsall on points.

A little early for team news at this stage but hopefully Apter will have recovered from his knock and Adkins will have a good squad to choose from although I would not expect many changes from the winning side we have seen in recent weeks. Turnbull should return for Yarney at the back.

I think this is a game we could really take to Walsall and finally win an away game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Turnbull is actually suspended for a second game, but I agree this might be our first away victory.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
A win would be fantastic and would take us above our opponents in the table. They haven't won a home league game for 2 months, so it must give us a fighting chance. I'm going for a draw and another away point, though.

Very winnable, as are all our remaining games this month. Walsall’s coupon buster win at Notts County should help us approach the game properly focused, rather than overly confident, as well.

2-1 win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The signs are good, I just hope we don't let ourselves down on the day. We need a battling, 90-min performance.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As much as I would love us to win I think they will beat us 2 1.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A first trip to the Bescot will be my third away game of the season. Hopefully defeats at Crewe and Stockport won’t mean third time unlucky. The saddlers have the experienced Jamille Matt up front and although they lost Manny Monthe in the summer have another ex rovers centre back Donervon Daniel’s on their books. Danny Johnson has failed to score the goals he did last season on loan at Mansfield.

The hosts do concede a healthy number of goals so as has been said this is an opportunity to pick up an away win especially given our upturn in form.

Like RLC I think Turnbull is still suspended so Matt may try and target Yarney as a weak link in our back 4. Assuming everyone else is fit then it’ll likely be the same starting 11 as last week. Kieran Morris returning to where his career really started.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
You need to be a little more optimistic i mean this in a, good way we know the away form has been poop but we have to win somewhere LOL

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
You need to be a little more optimistic i mean this in a, good way we know the away form has been poop but we have to win somewhere LOL
It's called being cautious!
We have not won away since March.
Yes, the form on paper is decent, and we have had a couple of away draws is an improvement.
However, being convinced that we are going to smash Walsall, is a little too much, for those who have reservations about our squad potential, with the injured and suspension.

Another draw will do me. A win would be fab.

drwhoman

Completely off topic (!) but Stockport lost at home to Aldershot in the Cup!Goal 2 minutes from time.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yea thats 5 with no wins for them now and fair to shots they played very well

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
It's called being cautious!
We have not won away since March.
Yes, the form on paper is decent, and we have had a couple of away draws is an improvement.
However, being convinced that we are going to smash Walsall, is a little too much, for those who have reservations about our squad potential, with the injured and suspension.

Another draw will do me. A win would be fab.
Tend to agree. In a decent XI now I see the keeper and left back as the weak spots; plus the lack of balance up front less Norris. However Yarney playing between those two named gives me major concerns. That is the whole left triangle at the back, wonder what the Walsall right wing is like?
2-2

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yarney ain't that bad.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yarney ain't that bad.
When we signed him I thought he’d provide decent competitor for Davies and Turnbull. He had a shortish stint at Oldham albeit in the league below and got supporters player of the year. They wanted him to stay but he came to us. I’ve not been overly impressed with him though but as we’ve said before, what do we expect from a back up centre back in league two? I also wonder whether he’s not suited to playing on the left of the two but we’ve probably not got the funds to bring another one in.

Just have to hope Turnbull stops getting sent off!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Tend to agree. In a decent XI now I see the keeper and left back as the weak spots; plus the lack of balance up front less Norris. However Yarney playing between those two named gives me major concerns. That is the whole left triangle at the back, wonder what the Walsall right wing is like?
2-2
One of the most important aspects in football is partnerships, and if the players can't play together, never mind their skills levels, it is an issue. I think sometimes are back line has been disrupted far too often, swapping and changing is disruptive.
Our keeper situation is better than we have had for three seasons.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unlike DB I don’t think goalkeeper or left back are our biggest concerns at present. While Yarney isn’t Turnbull standard, the goal we conceded v Newport could be attributed to failings on both sides of the park and was actually finished on our right.

Think we will do well to get a draw out of this , but am fairly hopeful we’ll manage that.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Unlike DB I don’t think goalkeeper or left back are our biggest concerns at present.
Yes, I agree. I had my doubts about Wood when he first arrived, but he has been excellent recently.

Very good news about McGee. The permanent appointment of Adkins and the recent upturn in form will have influenced his decision you would think.

I won't be able to make this now due to Covid, so we are nailed on for a first away win of the season. :)