• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Walsall (1) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Walsall

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Walsall (1) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Bescot Stadium
Saturday, December 16, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 16, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Yes, I agree. I had my doubts about Wood when he first arrived, but he has been excellent recently.

Very good news about McGee. The permanent appointment of Adkins and the recent upturn in form will have influenced his decision you would think.

I won't be able to make this now due to Covid, so we are nailed on for a first away win of the season. :)
Hope you feel better soon RLC.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes, I agree. I had my doubts about Wood when he first arrived, but he has been excellent recently.

Very good news about McGee. The permanent appointment of Adkins and the recent upturn in form will have influenced his decision you would think.

I won't be able to make this now due to Covid, so we are nailed on for a first away win of the season. :)
Hope you are feeling better soon and are back watching the whites soon.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There was a suggestion in Nigel's pre-match of some rotation, so maybe we won't line-up identical to the Newport game. Luke Norris just past his operation, while Starbuck and Lewis only just started training again and not in contention. Turnbull is banned for another game, otherwise all available.

ADD

Player
Norwood
There was a suggestion in Nigel's pre-match of some rotation, so maybe we won't line-up identical to the Newport game. Luke Norris just past his operation, while Starbuck and Lewis only just started training again and not in contention. Turnbull is banned for another game, otherwise all available.

Yes it was noticeable that I think for the second or third time Adkins said that we had a large squad clearly implying that it was suboptimal and that come January we would address that.
As to the game Lewis likely will return to the bench as sounded as if he was fit. Apter may unfortunately be a forced change as unlikely he will have recovered that quickly unless it was a simply precautionary substitution. Who knows frankly re the result. We are going to have to win an away game at some point and no reason why it can't be today. Confidence is up. The players appear far more motivated - it was noticeable in Newport game that when we got it back to 1-1 we were keen to get the ball back to the half way line to restart so we could go for the win which duly came.

I am going to go for a 2-1 win... with Jennings getting one of them.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
ADD, had forgotten about Apter’s injury, but don’t think NA name-checked him during the interview, certainly didn’t come out and say Rob was unavailable. It may be to keep the opposition guessing. I didn’t get the impression Lewis was an option today, though think Nigel would like him to be available due to concerns about Walsall’s height. For the same reason maybe Leake replacing Wood at left-back, though think we’d be better off sticking with Wood.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think if Apter is a doubt then he may bring Jolley in up front and perhaps play Jennings wide in midfield.

But I’m expecting the same 11 as last week. We’ll need the big squad over Xmas with all those games but they’ve had 7 days since our last game so hopefully apter has recovered

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I read his notes seemed quite clear really. Except Norris, 30 trained but Lewis and Starbuck not ready. No midweek match and not one next week, any rotation will start once fixtures come quicker.
I'd expect same again, worried about left side but let's see

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Belehouan comes in for Davies, who is injured presumably.

The centre half pairing does not fill me with confidence I have to say.
Well, looking for positives, this is a chance for Yarney to earn a regular start and for Belouhan to earn a contract extension.

I’m less confident than I was, but this will be a true test of the spirit and discipline of the squad. I still think we’ll win.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s got the aura of penalties and red cards against Rovers today. If we were to lose either Yarney/Belehouan during the game then our central defensive options look limited, move Walker back or O’Connor across?
I wondered if Adkins might go for the greater defensive contributions of a Jolley/Saunders up front ahead of Dennis, even before the news of Davies’ absence broke. Not disputing Dennis’ greater ability, but this defence needs more protection than a full strength one. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Struggling a little early on in the full backs positions. Seems to be getting stretched and too much space for my liking. Hopefully things will settle down.