• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Tykes (2) v Rovers (2) (6-7 PEN)

Match result

• Barnsley

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tykes (2) v Rovers (2) (6-7 PEN)
Posted by Ian
Oakwell Stadium
Tuesday, August 8, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Shepherd up..

Misses!!!!!!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done Rovers, excellent result!

Vince Vaughn Party GIF

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A win on penalties good for confidence and a welcome boost after the barrow result. Hopefully we can carry it on to Saturday at MK

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well done lads. We deserved it. And full credit to Dawesy for the balls he’s shown tonight.

Then only downside is who can he possibly drop on Saturday?

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wow, after Accrington last year, another long shoot-out with Rovers winning out. Hoping we get another decent tie.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A couple more observations.

We’ve had a few lean years and this must be our best performance since we beat Watford in the FA Cup.

I was a bit surprised to see Hawkes and Hemmings brought on as subs. This reduces their value a bit as it makes them ineligible to play for any other team in this cup.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was a bit surprised to see Hawkes and Hemmings brought on as subs. This reduces their value a bit as it makes them ineligible to play for any other team in this cup.
I’m unsure that it would amount to a reason for not buying either by an interested club. Most teams seem to have played depleted sides this round, while Hemmings has been linked with NL sides who would not be affected.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I’m unsure that it would amount to a reason for not buying either by an interested club. Most teams seem to have played depleted sides this round, while Hemmings has been linked with NL sides who would not be affected.
And 50% of the teams who played in this round will take no further part in the competition.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I did say rovers would win so to all those who said we would lose haha only playing boys fair play to Daws he needed that now to get a few LG wins also glad for the 3 lads up top good to have more options up top now

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we were superb and fully deserved to win in ninety minutes. It was a much more intense and focused performance than any of the previous games under Dawes, and Norris, Dennis and Taylor made a big difference.

There were lots of good individual displays. Leake linked up really well with Taylor down our left side. The former was given a tough time by their wide man but gave as good as he got and had a really good game defensively. Taylor continues to impress and I am sure he will start on Saturday. Morris and Hendry were both excellent, Lewis was actually effective defensively, and McAlear had a reasonable game as an auxiliary right back, which might have given Dawes food for thought. Norris led the line extremely well considering he must still be nowhere near full fitness. Dennis was stuck out on the right wing, which I still don't like. He had some nice touches, but there were periods of the game where he was not involved at all.

Barnsley caused us problems on occasions when they moved the ball quickly, and Murphy had to make two or three excellent saves to compensate for his howler for their goal. However, I thought we were the better team with and without the ball.

We have got some decent players this season, and if we perform like that in the weeks ahead we will be fine.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Both Rovers goals were quality, a well-worked free-kick and a superb Taylor volley.

Quite a lot for Dawes to think about, particularly with regards to the forwards. In the short term maybe rotating Norris/Dennis during a match as they build up fitness.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report RLC. Sounds like an impressive performance and who would have thought that would happen after the respective results of both sides last Saturday. Yes the hosts made changes but we made seven of our own.

Interestingly Dawes mentions we’ll have to get used to changes and rotation especially in the final third. He also suggests we’ll be sticking with 3 up top for some time so he’ll have to keep some people happy who may not even make the bench. It’s good we have competition in attacking areas and a complete contrast from last season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
RLC how did Yarney play? I’m expecting turnbull to start on Saturday but another decision for Dawes to make