• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Tykes (2) v Rovers (2) (6-7 PEN)

Match result

• Barnsley

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tykes (2) v Rovers (2) (6-7 PEN)
Posted by Ian
Oakwell Stadium
Tuesday, August 8, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is Barnsley up next for Rovers in the League Cup.

After Saturday's disappointment, we could not really have asked for a more challenging fixture. Following defeat in last year's League One play off final, the hosts beat Port Vale 7-0 at the weekend with Devante Cole scoring a hat trick. It is debatable whether he or several others of their first eleven will feature in this game, but whatever team Barnsley put out they will start as huge favourites given the gulf in status between the clubs. We did actually give them a decent game in an FA Cup third round tie three years ago, albeit when we were in a better place on the pitch ourselves.

I would imagine there will be some rotation, but we will still effectively put out our strongest available eleven. Dawes implied yesterday that Norris and Dennis won't be fit enough to start, but hopefully they will both get at least thirty minutes again. Dennis's movement was excellent when he came on yesterday, and you feel that if we are to do anything under Dawes their availability and form will be key.

I just hope we see a more focussed, disciplined performance than on Saturday, even if we lose the game as anticipated.

I am looking forward to my first visit to Oakwell for many years, a ground where we have never won (!), but travelling more in hope than expectation.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Enjoy the trip RLC! I really cannot see anything but a loss here but I do hope we put in a good performance. I'd like to see a bit more of Norris and Dennis so hopefully they get some more minutes on the pitch.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like RLC I’ve not been to oakwell for many years, but won’t be making the trip this week. It is strange to think our next two games are against sides who scored 7 and 5 on the opening league weekend.

I’m sure Barnsley will make changes. I‘m Guessing Walker might be dropped for us although he’ll only get fitter playing matches. I’d like mcalear to get a game ahead of Lewis and some more minutes for the new strikers is important.

can’t see anything other than a home win sadly but hopefully we give a good account of ourselves

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Probably going to this as the only game I can make in August, though after both scores at the weekend not at all hopeful.

If Walker.is as far off the pace as suggested, then he needs to work on that outside of the match environment and I’d definitely start with Morris. Are Dennis and Norris fit enough to last a half each? Otherwise wouldn’t expect many changes but unsure Dawes knows himself what the best team from the current squad actually is.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Probably going to this as the only game I can make in August, though after both scores at the weekend not at all hopeful.

If Walker.is as far off the pace as suggested, then he needs to work on that outside of the match environment and I’d definitely start with Morris. Are Dennis and Norris fit enough to last a half each? Otherwise wouldn’t expect many changes but unsure Dawes knows himself what the best team from the current squad actually is.
I thought we might just have a slight chance. Until you said you were going. ;)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can only see a very comfortable win for them 4 0

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Well i recon we will win 1-0 if i am being serious love it if we did we need to get the new forwards playing

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don’t know who’s been casting spells, but due to a late finish at work I now won’t be able to get to this game

ADD

Player
Norwood
Norris and Dennis start as does Taylor. Interesting. Hemmings on bench.

Attachments

• 20230808_184827.jpg
    20230808_184827.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not sure Norris and Dennis are that fit but a start is good at least. I hope they play well. Will be interesting to see how Yearney fits in at the back and how young Taylor gets on. Shame Lewis gets another start. It looks like Dawes is doing some experimenting early on.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Walker not involved at all, hopefully just a precaution rather than another injury

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The formation will be interesting and I hope Dennis isn’t playing wide in a 3 with Taylor on the other side. Assume mcalear is right back

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I have reservations that we’ve made so many changes, particularly as Barnsley’s weakened team gave us a glimmer of a chance.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I think all the changes are about giving some more, some match minutes!
I think it says, the manager is not hopeful of a result!
Hope my thinking is wrong!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds like we’ve made a bright start albeit on th Twitter feed. Pleased Norris and Dennis both have starts.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
GOAL!!!!!!!!!!
Poacher Norris with the tap in.