• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer rumours

drwhoman

VINNI

Yes - Sparky - a Brazilian who studied in America who has only played proper football as opposed to futsal for a couple of years. Should be interesting - a superstar or an embarrassment - time will tell!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He's a risk but hey, at least it's not a huge financial risk. And les has said he's only young so it's not like he's going to be thrust straight into the team. Les is still looking for a second striker. Regarding Lowe, he's too expensive. Time to look elsewhere.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Lets hope Vinny isnt another Kithson Bain !

Bain was recommended by Barnes

Vinny by McAteer !!

Lets give him a chance and you never know

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We don't even know that that Dantas will get a work permit, so nothing to get excited about yet. Interesting that Les says the Lowe thing has been overplayed, Rovers did nothing more than ask. However let's hope that we can recruit another striker with reasonable experience.

Rumour has it that Mahon has been offered a deal to terminate his contract, but similar ones before haven't been correct.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We don't even know that that Dantas will get a work permit, so nothing to get excited about yet.
Normally you have to be a regular international or an EU citizen to get a work permit. He'll probably have to get a European passport. A lot of Brazilians seem to get Portuguese nationality. You would think they'd have looked into it before giving him a trial. It may not be straightforward - remember how long it took before Calvin Zola was cleared to play for us.
Rumour has it that Mahon has been offered a deal to terminate his contract, but similar ones before haven't been correct.
The Mahon saga is unbelievable. OK, he has a three-year deal, but I'm sure neither he nor the club are happy for him to see out his contract without playing. Either we save a bit of money by paying him off and allowing him to find another club or we loan him out for a contribution to his (high) wages. Surely one of those options makes sense?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ridiculous giving a 32-year old a 3-year contract. What were they thinking? God, he must have been laughing all the way to the bank. 12 apps in 2 years. Brilliant.

drwhoman

MAHON

Darrren Anderton used to be unkindly referred to as 'sicknote'. I wonder what you call Mahon? Barnes clearly saw him as an experienced midfield organiser but Les seems to have no time for him even when fit, so, as others have said, why not get shut in some way or other? Maybe even use him in part exchange for some half decent Div Two or Conference striker? I think there is going to be too much reliance on Enoch again this season - even he can only stand being belted around for so long before his fitness gives way! We are then stuck with the promised McGurk and the famous Akins who the official website has never indicated as being re-signed. Embarrased maybe?!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On the Mahon debate - as we know, he will be on a decent wage. But more importantly than that, I suspect that given his injury record, Mahon knows that if we settled the final year of his deal now, the chance of him getting a deal elsewhere, when you consider how many players are out of contract out there, plus his lack of games,,,he probably thinks the chances are no-one will offer him a deal....so if he has bills to pay etc, I don't blame him for picking up the money. It was JB (and PJ I suppose) fault to give him 3 years in the 1st place.

DRWhoman is right - once again I am sure we will reply too much on Enoch who by his nature, will pick up knocks. But I still cannot see Les changing from 4-3-3 unless he has to - which means McGurk will play wide which is a shame as he did well playing in the middle towards the end of last season.

I don't really want to comment on Useless Akins - except to say lets hope he has left the club quietly.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Alan Mahon has left the club.

Regarding PJ, he is certainly Mr Marmite, you either love him or hate him. I respect him for rescuing the club all those years ago however I generally agree that some of his business dealings over the years have been decidedly questionable. Whether or not he still cares for the club remains to be seen, yes he didnt sell us to the Americans but lets face it that could simply have been because they didnt offer up what he wanted rather than he was concerned what they may do to us in the long run.

It would be nice to have money to splash out on players but lets face it we are a club that has to do everything on the cheap so I imagine spending money on transfer fee's is probably not an option. I agree with Boz that the way froward would be to look at players currently out of contract and use the money to pay slightly higher wages to attract a better calibre of player. In my own humble opinion I would like to see a creative midfielder, 2 wide men and if there is anything left in the pot a striker.

It genuinely concerns me that as a team we lack creativity and fire power.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see we've signed Vinni, subject to work permit. It's a big gamble recruiting a player who has played 11-a-side, outdoor football for just two years. For that reason, I think he'll either be a great success or a miserable failure. Given that LP etc have seen him play and I feel he can only get better with experience, I am really excited about him. I just hope he gets encouragement not criticism from fans. I expect he will also need a fair bit of protection from referees.

Glad to hear Mahon has gone. (Not on OS, how did you find out, BBE?) I have nothing against Alan Mahon, but as recently posted, his departure must be good for all concerned.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
im not sure he will get a work permit unless he has a portugese or european passport

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I presume he has a Portugese passport otherwise we wouldn't even bother trying.

Heard he looked **** in one of the pre-season games. Can't see him having much of an impact. He'll be on a pittance so it doesn't really matter.

M

Mal

For crying out loud. H played half a public game in a changing team.....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Clearly he hasn't, otherwise as a citizen of the EU he would not need a work permit. Footballers from outside the EU usually need to be regular internationals to get a work permit, so I think we'll struggle. Futsal does not count. :smile: According to the OS, Les says the process will take some time and has written him off for the start of the season. The good news is that Les is still looking for another striker.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If Vinni was the chap who played in the second half at Chester, I have to say I was less than impressed. He was quite strong and held the ball up ok, but lacked pace and mobility, so I don't really see how he could act as a foil for Enoch: he seemed a straight forward target man to me.

However, I won't judge him on 45 minutes. Hopefully the coaching staff have seen something behind closed doors that I didn't.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, he played at Chester. I had to point out to some Chester fans that he was in fact a Brazilian striker and not Enoch Showunmi as some had presumed.

Player
Liam Palmer

Heard he looked **** in one of the pre-season games. Can't see him having much of an impact. He'll be on a pittance so it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, let's write him off before we even see him play.....

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
But "we" have, evidently. Pretty hard to disagree with anything I said. He was poor at Chester, he's a very cheap risk. Kitson Bain. That's it.

I'm quite quickly starting to catch up with the "we need to start signing some players" bandwagon.