• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
How has Gumbs performed at left-back? He seems to have played more pre-season than the other youngsters. Hopefully, we'll see him in the squad rather than loaned out.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Gumbs played really well against Liverpool. I think he is ready to be involved in the first team squad, but given Brabin's attitude to youngsters I doubt he will get much of a look in this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Has Maynard played left-back in pre-season? Gumbs has and Vaughan did last season, maybe more likely Brabin will opt for one of those and slot Maynard in on the right, if the need arises?

Stephenson was recruited in part because of his pace. If, as the reports suggest, he's struggling to make an immediate impact, might we be in the market for a more experienced paceman,given that was one of the areas identified for strengthening?

Not going today and unlikely I'll make Fylde,so hard to fathom for myself how the squad is shaping up.

Player
Manager
John King
Although I have not been impressed by Stephenson so far, I doubt we will be making more signings in the forward areas where we look strong now. Norwood, Jennings, mekki, Stephenson and Kirby give us varying degrees of pace and mobility.

M

Mal

Cannot remember where I saw this but someone said they were given a lift from Vauxhall game by Mark Palios who apparently said another two players are to join us. I understood from the context that they were in defence. However, who knows with social media posters....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Palios said to me we were still after a couple of players and suggested one was a left back. The trialist who played at Vauxhall was solid enough although against poor opposition. The lad who stood out was the winger Liandro Martis who was lightning. I assume he hasn't featured anywhere since.

I guess after releasing Matt Hill, GB had to decide whether Ridehalgh & Gumbs can cover the LB position or whether we need someone else.

Ridehalgh for me isn't good enough and I haven't seen enough of Gumbs.

M

Mal

Ah, ok Sparky. My comment on social media posters was not aimed at you personally. I have just seen too many where they said various players were definitely coming and going and it was complete hogwash!

Player
Manager
John King
I did have reservations about Ridehalgh, but he has done well in pre-season and I would be happy for him to start at left back. However, we probably still need another player as cover as it is asking a bit much for Gumbs to play out of position given his lack of experience.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm still far from convinced about Ridehalgh although he's probably OK at this level and if he's having a decent pre season, that will bode well going into the season.

Player
Manager
John King
He is a very good player, but it seems unlikely. Unless Frear is unsettled I can't imagine moneybags FGR accepting £15,000 for him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
would think it unlikely that they would accept £15 k for him

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He may be a pal of Norwood's? While a decent player, not an area where there's a pressing need for Rovers to strengthen, even if he were available at the knockdown price quoted in the article.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We already have 3 players on the bench who can wide in our 4-3-3 !! Kirby, Mekki & Stephenson - don't need any more thank you very much.

Personally I'd say the squad doesn't need strengthening in any department at the moment. Long may that continue.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We already have 3 players on the bench who can wide in our 4-3-3 !! Kirby, Mekki & Stephenson - don't need any more thank you very much.

Personally I'd say the squad doesn't need strengthening in any department at the moment. Long may that continue.
I agree, Sparky. You wonder how these rumours start. After the move to Cheltenham broke down, I bet his agent is trying to engineer an alternative.

It only makes sense if we sell or loan out one or two of the wide men you mention.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, CK. I doubt the paper just made it up. My money is still on Frear's agent. I'll bet the player wants a move, but I think it's unlikely he'll get one now.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
I see Cole Stockton scored again tonight in the league cup against premier league Bournmouth. He grabbed a goal in Morecambe's last cup game against Rotherham as well. That's sure to do his confidence the world of good! He is someone who frustrates me as he has all the ability to be a good league striker, he just never seems to have kicked on.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see Cole Stockton scored again tonight in the league cup against premier league Bournemouth. He grabbed a goal in Morecambe's last cup game against Rotherham as well. That's sure to do his confidence the world of good! He is someone who frustrates me as he has all the ability to be a good league striker, he just never seems to have kicked on.
Sadly, after all the investment in him (including a four-year contract), we are likely to lose him on a free next year. Of course, Morecambe know this, so won't pay us a fee.