• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In fairness, I think the ending of the transfer window will mean smaller squads are sustainable, as clubs can loan at will. This may slightly favour poorer clubs. PL and FL clubs will be looking to give their younger players experience and the NL will be a good option for many.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Margetts has confirmed today he has left the club which is no real surprise. I was a big fan and this time last year he was banging them in when on trial.

I still feel he wasn't treated well by GB but the signings of Cook & Jennings meant Johnny was even further from the team. Good luck to him and will be interesting where he ends up.

Strong rumours we've signed Jeff Hughes permanently. Not a bad player but too lightweight in my view.

Ex rover LB Evan Horwood signs for Chester and will Presumably replace another ex rovers LB Gareth Roberts. We still need a decent LB in my view and Horwood may have been it.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Sparky about Margetts, but disagree about Hughes who I think his an excellent player at this level. I will be delighted if we sign him as he is definitely more creative than our other midfielders. Will his presence plus the new signings be enough, or do we need another creative midfielder ? Time will tell.

I am not sure about Horwood. He is decent going forward but was awful defensively when he was here. However, I am surprised he has not gone to a better club than Chester.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Also agree with Sparky re Margetts, who never got a fair chance off Brabin. I take a similar view to RLC regarding Hughes and hope he does sign. He did best for us playing in central midfield, but was far too often pushed out wide to accommodate the Jennings-Harris 'dream team' and much less effective there.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
OS confirms we have signed Jeff Hughes on a two-year deal. Although he increases the average age of the squad a little, he brings experience and variety to our play. There is no mention of a transfer fee, so I presume Cambridge United cancelled his contract. I think the squad is almost complete, although we are a little light on defenders. I would expect us to be looking to take on two or three trialists (left-back, central defence and midfield), but we have more than enough players already to fill the bench for tonight.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm not disappointed by the signing of Hughes but not excited either. I felt last season at times, especially at home, our midfield wasn't able to unlock defences. We still have the same players in Mekki, Jennings, Harris, Maynard And Hughes. I don't think personally that those 5 have enough quality going forward at this level. Yes Hughes is neat and tidy and I'm not convinced he's that effective but he's not strong enough imo.

Of course we also now have Stephenson which I'm excited about and Connor Jennings who can play the no.10 role so hopefully that will help but I'm still not sure we have enough creativity from midfield areas. I'm a bit surprised we gave Hughes a 2 year deal but that's just because I'm not convinced by him.

Reactions: Ian

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Pleased with Hughes re-signing.
He's clearly not everybody's cup of tea.
In the kick and rush that is unfortunately the NL he can control and see a pass.
Elementary, yes, but a skill in short supply where we are.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Sorry all, this isn't the thread for this post for which I apologise but...
I'm in a pub in mid wales, we have a static van there. These pubs rely on hen/stag coaches doing the route.
One has just turned up, French theme, but half a dozen SWA!
Unbelievable. We get everywhere!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Margetts signs for Lincoln on a 1 year deal after 5 goals in 2 friendly matches. Good luck to him.

Him and that big striker they still have (I think) in Rhead could be a good partnership.

Hope he doesn't come back to haunt us....

Player
Manager
John King
I think he is a decent striker and was badly treated by brabin. However, there is no way he would have been first, or even second, choice with the strikers we have brought in, so I think we just need to move on. I think our strikers are better than Lincoln's and hopefully brabin will get the best out of them.

M

Mal

I never understand the "badly treated" comments (from anyone). No one backs the comment up with specific examples. Not being picked isn't being badly treated per se. It is a judgment call based on a number of factors.

Player
Manager
John King
Margetts had a decent goalscoring ratio both at rovers and the clubs he was loaned out to, but was frozen out by brabin from October onwards. Useless players like higdon were given extended spells in the team ahead of him, with no real justification. We struggled to score goals last season but a player who, based on his career record, is a natural goalscorer did not get a look in. On that basis I think he was badly treated. It seems pretty obvious there was some kind of personality clash with brabin.

drwhoman

As with Mangin as well of course. We all hope that Cook and others will not suffer the same fate. In view of MPs comments it might be wise for Gary to be thoughtful in his man management. May be why he has brought the guy from Southport in.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Whilst at Vauxhall yesterday and being impressed with the strong squad we put out, it dawned on me that one of the few senior pros who didn't play was Norwood who didn't feature at Heswall either.

Low and behold I hear this morning of strong rumours that Oldham want him and he's told GB he wants to play in L1.

Maybe total rubbish but time will tell.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If he wants to go and we can get a good fee for him, we would be unwise to keep an unhappy player. In any case, he may not get so many games this season with the competition ip front. However, I'd still prefer to keep him if we can.

Player
Manager
John King
It is really bad news if the norwood rumour is true. The cook and Jennings signings were positive because they give us options and alternative ways of playing. Those options are limited once again if norwood goes.

Edit: current indications are that this rumour is rubbish. Norwood came off early against Liverpool so as not to risk injury, which is why he was left out yesterday apparently.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hopefully rubbish, I'd be gutted if he went as he is a major player for us.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Norwood staying would be a big bonus. It is strange when we speculate game time for him might be limited with us given competition, but he "is" possibly wanted by a L1 club. might say a lot about our squad strength.

drwhoman

Any thoughts on the trialists RLC please? I see one came on against Notlob. Not sure is it is someone who played in the earlier games.

Player
Manager
John King
The only trialist on Tuesday was a left back / left sided midfielder who played thirty minutes and did not look great.

I think the squad is fine now, other than someone to cover at left back. At centre back I think we are ok, as Gumbs or Maynard are probably capable of deputising in an injury crisis.