• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

M

Mal

What's your source, Mal?

Good news if correct, but after the trio were offered new deals, seen nothing mentioned.

There is another forum where the Administrator has listed status of each player. It says that the contract offers were accepted but as Ian says that may be an assumption based on the fact that it is unlikely they would refuse. Where would they go?

The status does have p,ayes with "Contract offered, no response" against them so I assumed that the 'contract renewed' for the above three was based on insider knowledge.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Can't believe how many players Eastleigh are signing. Ridiculous. Another 2 today.

Danny Holmes will be leaving Newport after not responding to their offer of a new 1'year deal. I still remember that emotional interview he gave when he left us and it was a big move for him moving down to South Wales. It'll be interested if he moves back up north. Maybe he'll end up at Wrexham where Cole Stockton has been linked.

If Vaughan hadn't resigned then he would have been worth a shout but can't see it now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm a bit surprised Danny Holmes didn't accept the contract extension Newport offered tbh, would suggest he's something else lined up. If Gumbs and Duggan have signed up and we've still got Sutton on the books, then Rovers have no need of another right-back.

Hadn't heard the Stockton to Wrexham rumour.

A few teams; Eastleigh, Gateshead, Forest Green have been doing a lot of their recruiting early, but don't know that much about the calibre of their recruits.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If it's anything like Wrexham it'll be a team of journeymen. They can happily have Stockton.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In a way, I'm not surprised teams are increasing their squad size. The end of temporary loans makes this almost inevitable. I read an article about this issue and they said there were a few workarounds but it would be difficult. Inevitably, the clubs with big budgets will also have the biggest squads and I would expect us to sign more players before September.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
OS says today that Pilling, Gumbs and Duggan have signed one-year contracts. Thankfully, that's sorted for now, but I hope they all get a chance next season so we can see what they are made of before their contracts run down again.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good to receive confirmation of Mal's previous posting. Agree with BBTC that they now need to be given an opportunity to show what they can do in a Rovers shirt.

M

Mal

I hope we get off to a flying start so that GB will have the confidence to bed in the youngsters, even if for last 20 mins of games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hope we get off to a flying start so that GB will have the confidence to bed in the youngsters, even if for last 20 mins of games.
Can't see it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Another signing from Wrexham today.

Perhaps not as exciting as Connor Jennings but we've now got their physio, David Spendiff, who has been with the dragons for 2 years.

Good luck to Greg Blundell who has got a job with Liverpool.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Another signing from Wrexham today.

Perhaps not as exciting as Connor Jennings but we've now got their physio, David Spendiff, who has been with the dragons for 2 years.

Good luck to Greg Blundell who has got a job with Liverpool.
Should have got Les back!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ridehalgh signs a new 1 year contract. I guess this makes sense given Hill was released and Liam does give us a flexible option as he can play left back or left midfield. At times also he can put a half decent ball in the box and is probably one of the longest serving players in the current squad! Plus still a decent age.

However I think he should be seen as a squad player and we should be looking for another, first choice LB, similar to Vaughan but left footed.

In other news, Myrie-Williams has signed for L2 Newport. Hope they don't need him for any sort of relegation battle as he didn't roll his sleeves up for us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
However I think he should be seen as a squad player and we should be looking for another, first choice LB, similar to Vaughan but left footed.
Agreed.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
That's almost everyone from last season's squad sorted one way or another. No announcement yet on Margetts, but I've always assumed he would go as he featured so little last season. However, he missed the last few weeks to have a hip operation.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was a fan of Margetts and would have kept him even though it appeared he fell out with GB.

However along with Cole he is even further down the pecking order with the arrival of Cook & Jennings, so along with Norwood, will I am sure mean Johnny will be looking for another club. Expert another national league side to snap him up.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There were times last season when Ridehalgh looked really good on the ball. Very much a confidence player and Brabin seemed to make him a scapegoat, when others, for example Jennings, were picked regardless of their poor form. We need a second left-back for sure, as no obvious cover from the youth squad.

I'm guessing we've made Margetts an offer so that we'll be eligible for a small fee if he moves on. He had a hip operation at the end of last season and haven't heard if he's fully recovered from that.

Still need 3 or 4 more recruits.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just seen that the National League have scrapped transfer windows. With a Brabin-type manager not sure this is good news.

Discuss...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Ridehalgh is good enough as a squad player but no more than that. He started ok in his first season in League One, but seems to have lost confidence since then. Towards the end of last season he was very poor indeed. I think we need a new left back and I am not totally convinced by him as a wide midfielder either. He does not really have the quality to play that role.

As regards the transfer window, in theory the change should suit a club like Rovers who will be able to pick off the in-form players from the smaller sides. Whether Brabin will use the system sensibly, only time will tell.

On other matters, Boreham Wood signed Adrian Moke today, another very good acquisition for them. I have no idea where they are getting their money from (either Arsenal or a sugar daddy it seems) but they could be promotion contenders the way their squad is shaping up.

drwhoman

It will be interesting to see how Braintree go as they have lost not only the Manager but also a few players. On the issue of players it would be nice to see the two or three signings we need before we get into trialist territory. A couple of old boy movements. Clint Hill has gone to Rangers. His style will suit the Scottish League while Myrie-Williams has gone to Newport.