• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Has GB learnt anything from last season? Apparently not, Ian....the man is an absolute dolt and it is difficult to see why the Palioi are supporting him in this latest stupidity. It just beggars belief that we bring in another striker, even if C Jennings is out, when we have other alternatives but more importantly when we do not have an experienced attacking midfielder and no recognised left-back....quite incredible.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

Doesn't really explain why an inexperienced striker can replace a creative player. I thought the days of short term youth loans by Rovers were over. He may have potential but we need experience. Why help to develop Shrewsbury's youngsters when we've got our own to nurture? If he fails, it will cause unrest with the fans and possibly in the team. If he succeeds, Shrews will take him back asap.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The signing of Louis Almond has now been announced. A good player who gives us something different, but essentially I think he is a striker who can play wide and is a typical GB signing in that sense. If nothing else his arrival demonstrates Rovers' pulling power in being able to pick off the best players of other clubs at this level.

With only two fit midfielders I would imagine some midfield cover will arrive soon, whether brought in by Carden or the new man.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Who knows where almond will fit in. He can either play in the hole as a number 10 or wide in attack. I don't think he's quick enough though to be an out and out winger.

So we have Norwood, cook, Stephenson, loanee Jones, almond, Mekki and Connor Jennings who is back in 2/3 weeks. Try and pick 3 from them!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Who knows where almond will fit in. He can either play in the hole as a number 10 or wide in attack. I don't think he's quick enough though to be an out and out winger.

Maybe so, but he gave Jeff Hughes a torrid time when playing as a right-winger in the Southport game. A decent player at this level, but unsure he's what was needed right now.

Reactions: Ian

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I take back my post about him retrieving his S'Port shirt out of the bin.
Very surprised the deal went through whilst 'proper' manager not in charge.

drwhoman

The deal was probably too far gone for Rovers to back out. Carden will like him. Whether the new Manager does is a moot point. See how they go on Saturday. Whether there is an upturn in enthusiasm and performance.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, we now have a group of strikers who scored 100 goals between them last season, but I bet they don't this time. Half of them won't get a game. The other half will, but won't get any service.

Reactions: Mal

drwhoman

Service is the key. This must be the number one priority for the new manager. The defence is ok and we have some proven goal scorers. The middle bit is the real problem!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Strange that we have signed another winger when we are so short in midfield. Perhaps further signings will follow in the next few days.

Pollitt has pace and potential according to Portsmouth fans.

drwhoman

Cover for Mekki I imagine. Another Scoucer who wants to be nearer home. Hope he puts in a more enthusiastic shift than Higdon! I cannot see Carden getting the job. Too close to Brabin.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Depending what you read Tollitt is winger, midfielder or striker. Agree with RLC that doesn't seem the area where we most needed reinforcements

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The problem is that with no manager installed we are unlikely to interest any decent players. However, I think Tollitt could be a useful addition to the squad.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Cover for Mekki I imagine. Another Scoucer who wants to be nearer home. Hope he puts in a more enthusiastic shift than Higdon! I cannot see Carden getting the job. Too close to Brabin.
I see your logic. We are looking for an experienced midfielder, who's a Scouser and is no longer in favour at his club. I've got it. We must be after Joey Barton. ;)

drwhoman

We both can smile BBTC as I thought exactly the same thing! I see Tollitt used to play for Skem. That brought back memories. As you will recall, they were a top non-league side in the 60s with Steve Heighway and Brian Hall in the team. When I was not commuting to Prenton Park, my local team at the time was South Liverpool, near where we lived, and we used to play Skem in the Lancashire Combination (days of the Cheshire League as well!) before joining the Northern Premier League (now Nat League North). Sadly Souths are no more. Jimmy Case, who I knew vaguely, started at SL as later did John Aldridge.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We both can smile BBTC as I thought exactly the same thing! I see Tollitt used to play for Skem. That brought back memories. As you will recall, they were a top non-league side in the 60s with Steve Heighway and Brian Hall in the team. When I was not commuting to Prenton Park, my local team at the time was South Liverpool, near where we lived, and we used to play Skem in the Lancashire Combination (days of the Cheshire League as well!) before joining the Northern Premier League (now Nat League North). Sadly Souths are no more. Jimmy Case, who I knew vaguely, started at SL as later did John Aldridge.
Seems a long time ago! I once went to Wembley to see Skem in the Amateur Cup Final. Missed a pen in the last minute and lost the replay.

drwhoman

Yes I recall that although I had to check the opposition - Enfield 1967. They subsequently won it in 1971 against Dagenham.