• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2024-25

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not so convinced about these lower league players. It's a big step up for a lot of them and is quite a risk.

Recruiting from the non league market isn’t one to dabble in, you really need know what you're doing. As mentioned, Crawley have done well there, which won’t be by accident, and Posh, for example, have been doing it well for years.

Nevitt came from quite low down the pyramid and has proven himself EFL standard. Let’s not forget we also signed the likes of Norwood, Cook and Jennings from non-league (it doesn’t really matter that we happened to be non league too at the time).

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
He does indeed join Accrington.

Have also heard good things about Solomon at Marine. One thing we need more of is pace and he has that

Barrow also sign a local player bringing in Chester’s keeper
That's the second nonleague player Accy have signed so far.
They've had mix fortunes with NL signings. Matt Lowe (striker) was signed from Brackley a couple of years back, but was released this summer. Nice bloke. Big and very quick. Often played at RB due to injuries and looked decent, but didn't get on scoresheet when he got the chance up front.
The other NL player signed this year is striker Kelsey Mooney from Boston Utd....might be for development.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Development who have we actually developed? Hewelt and Hughes ex-Everton, nowhere. McAlear and Jolley, more expensive nowhere and it would be a miracle if Merrie doesn't slope off at some stage. Then a whole range of assorted spanners on short term deals coming to nought, other than wages.
Ten years of internal development has proved fruitless unless Taylor makes it.
CBT and Nevitt appear to have developed after getting shot of us.
Hockenhull was two years a Prem Pro hardly developing and certainly didn't. I'd guess Bristow may have paid for his wages in a decent year of contribution anyway.
Even worse we signed known quality in Maynard, Hemmings and Dennis rendering them next to useless.
I know there have been worse offenders but changing managers doesn't help. Inevitably the new man must think, 'Who on earth signed him' made the worse when he realises it was a two year deal.
We need to look at Mansfield also a stable ownership. Clough rescued a relegation threat, made the PO final, then missed the play offs before winning promotion. Yet I know people will want mass sackings by autumn if not top three becoming a wave of opinion if mid table. And many will want it if we lose in the play offs next season. Mansfield wasn't built in a day

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Mansfield have been very well funded for several seasons with one of the highest budgets in league 2.

The likes of Crewe and Crawley can compete at the top end of the table so we should be able too as well
I'm still not convinced that as a squad that we have now we are still short for the top half, never mind play offs, and very short of automatic!
We still need more quality.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm still not convinced that as a squad that we have now we are still short for the top half, never mind play offs, and very short of automatic!
We still need more quality.
I think that’s a given. There are still ten more players to come in and I’d expect at least five to be regular first-teamers.

However, we have managed to keep everyone we wanted apart from Apter. A magnificent achievement. So it’s all about improving rather than a complete rebuild. A great position to be in at this stage.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I'm no fan of the development model tbh. I hope with those resigned and the dead wood gone we can add 2 or 3 quality signings. From there I think the key will be on sourcing quality loanees rather than punts on finding the odd nugget outside the league, or recruiting older players past their best or injury prone.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We need to remember that since early November under Nigel’s permanent reign we would have finished top 8, so some might say we don’t need to improve the squad too much.

Not sure I agree as we were very reliant on Apter and I think we need at least 4/5 match ready players

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We need to remember that since early November under Nigel’s permanent reign we would have finished top 8, so some might say we don’t need to improve the squad too much.

Not sure I agree as we were very reliant on Apter and I think we need at least 4/5 match ready players
I think the first eleven is fine, but we need far greater depth. The big issue last season was the huge drop off in quality between the regulars and the rest.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm no fan of the development model tbh. I hope with those resigned and the dead wood gone we can add 2 or 3 quality signings. From there I think the key will be on sourcing quality loanees rather than punts on finding the odd nugget outside the league, or recruiting older players past their best or injury prone.
A little surprised that you think this Higgy 2, as don’t your pals at Accrington do a reasonable job of picking up players from non-league and developing them into players who can at least hold their own at L2 level? Shouldn’t Rovers be looking to do similar?

On the question of quality loans, there’s always the risk of them being recalled by the parent club and placed at a higher league, if they do well, Simeu for example. While I can see situations where a loan would be useful, such as a youngster to share the Luke Norris style forward role, not convinced that we should become too dependent on loanees.

Given a couple under contract may move on, I’d expect maybe 4 or 5 coming in who will be in contention for a starting place from the off. It would be good if one or two could be brought in early, but in reality there’s likely to be a lull until the end of next month after that.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I can't see that there Is anything a unhinged

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
A little surprised that you think this Higgy 2, as don’t your pals at Accrington do a reasonable job of picking up players from non-league and developing them into players who can at least hold their own at L2 level? Shouldn’t Rovers be looking to do similar?

On the question of quality loans, there’s always the risk of them being recalled by the parent club and placed at a higher league, if they do well, Simeu for example. While I can see situations where a loan would be useful, such as a youngster to share the Luke Norris style forward role, not convinced that we should become too dependent on loanees.

Given a couple under contract may move on, I’d expect maybe 4 or 5 coming in who will be in contention for a starting place from the off. It would be good if one or two could be brought in early, but in reality there’s likely to be a lull until the end of next month after that.
Sorry for tardy reply.
I'm not a long term aficionado of Accy Boz, but given Matt Lowe was released, that would be deemed a failure. Tommy Leigh recruited from non- league has done well. There might be another - so will check.
I was saying - I like the idea of quality loanees. A lot will depend on the scouting of potential loans and the clubs connections. On that front they landed a few gems last season Inc. Four of the back five. Also strikerJosh Andrews (Birmingham loanee), but moved permanently to Gillingham - he was popular and scored a few goals.
In that respect we got a star in Apter plus Leake and Norris who were decent and had potential. Albeit Norris struggled a LB at times, but did get a MoM award....I think.
I think DB illustrated problems we've had recruiting from non-league. Hewelt springs to mind and I'm not sure Nevitt would be deemed a success....for me anyway.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the reply Higgy 2. Accrington have signed a couple from NL already this season while as well as those you name, Sean McConville who’s been released and linked with us was from a non-league background and had a couple of spells at Accrington.

While Apter was a quality loan, J Norris wasn’t really a left back and Leake looked raw. Aside from Simeu, can’t recall any recent loans who’ve made a big impact.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nigel back on his positive twitter videos and says we’re speaking to one or two players so watch this space