• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2024-25

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It's a fact of life, with the exception of Aldo, we have never signed a guaranteed scorer and we certainly aren't likely to now. Recently we have signed Maynard, Hemmings and Dennis; all as good as we can expect but all failed and I strongly suggest that was down to us not them.
We need to pick up a rough diamond and polish it.Not sure what happened to Maynard, there was no hint of a plan, we swamped lightweight Hemmings with long balls but eventually realised he need Matt Jamille alongside him and then signed Saunders. Dennis is an nonathletic poacher, so we tried using him as a workhorse.
Don't know about this guy maybe his agent is pumping fantasy interest, it makes little sense?
Two Scots incoming this week, I hear
Andy cook first time around was a guaranteed scorer, his 2 previous seasons he scored a lot of goals

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
There are actually numerous examples post Aldridge: Greenacre, Lowe, Mangan, Norwood to a degree.....
None of them were a solid bet to score at the level they were brought into. Norwood looked more likely to fall over than score one on ones, he became top scorer after promotion. The point is no way will we be signing a nugget who will almost certainly score a hatful at this level. Reality is they would be incentivised to take a back up role at a higher club with bigger wages. We have to look left field but as far left as a few summers ago. Wigan rejects are best left alone as well.
Another solution is signing the 34 year old who will not decline before 38, but that is blind man's bluff really. In hindsight I think Maynard was one who didn't fit into that category.
I doubt Hemmings would fancy it, he had an excellent attitude in complete adversity even so, but him running channels off Norris would be far better than the static Dennis looking for lay offs. Finding a younger, quicker but less classy Hemmings might be the solution; a non-jigsaw Saunders?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’d add Vaughan to the proven strikers signed post Aldridge list.

Any more detail on the arriving Scots, DB? While Hendry and Apter have been decent, some of our other recent north of the border signings less so.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
None of them were a solid bet to score at the level they were brought into. Norwood looked more likely to fall over than score one on ones, he became top scorer after promotion.
I think they all were actually.

Norwood had been played out of position in midfield at Forest Green but still reached double figures. He scored nineteen (I think) in his first season here, despite the struggles in one-v-one situations.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I think they all were actually.

Norwood had been played out of position in midfield at Forest Green but still reached double figures. He scored nineteen (I think) in his first season here, despite the struggles in one-v-one situations.
If you were honest you would include a few who completely flopped, using a consistent evaluation! We signed a 20 goal man last season, obviously a limited talent as he promoted club didn't retain him or make much effort to.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I’d add Vaughan to the proven strikers signed post Aldridge list.

Any more detail on the arriving Scots, DB? While Hendry and Apter have been decent, some of our other recent north of the border signings less so.
The left back you've read about Cameron Harper and someone else I've never heard of! Are we calling Apter a jock now, has he ever been past Gretna? Didn't know Hendry was! SPL itself is a league of about three levels, god help us below that. Seem to recall our weakest left back of an era spent about a decade in SPL- Tremarco
And in the words of Greavsie 'Never have a jock keeper' unless you can flog him on lol

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The left back you've read about Cameron Harper and someone else I've never heard of! Are we calling Apter a jock now, has he ever been past Gretna? Didn't know Hendry was! SPL itself is a league of about three levels, god help us below that. Seem to recall our weakest left back of an era spent about a decade in SPL- Tremarco
And in the words of Greavsie 'Never have a jock keeper' unless you can flog him on lol
Yes Harper sounds like it’s close to being done with the other rumoured Scottish signing being Finlay Robertson from Dundee. Both are young lads which is fine but not sure if they are ready to seriously compete for a place in the starting 11

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Yes Harper sounds like it’s close to being done with the other rumoured Scottish signing being Finlay Robertson from Dundee. Both are young lads which is fine but not sure if they are ready to seriously compete for a place in the starting 11
You may well be right but here is a question, when was the last player who arrived as such and later became a first teamer? Strikes me we have had dozens who hang around for a couple of years before heading to non-league. The entire domestic development fits that bill for the last decade?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks. Harper seems to have played a fair number of games and is 6 foot so a reasonable acquisition at left-back.Robertson still under contract, hasn’t played much would seem a less obvious recruit in an area where we must get some strong options, given Walker’s fitness issues.

I never thought Tremarco was that bad, but with Roberts then Taylor, he wasn’t going to get much of a look-in. Don’t know much about Apter’s ancestry but already played for the Scots at U17. Given Aldo was Irish by his great grandmother, wouldn’t be critical of Robbie going down a similar route.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I thought Tremarco was ok. I’m glad he made a good career in the SPL and even played in Europe with other ex-Rovers Raven and fon Williams.

Remember we were then in tier three and the bar was higher. He was also unlucky that we have had a tradition of really good left-backs. Roberts, Taylor, Buchanan, Ridehalgh, Macdonald, Bristow etc. All stayed years or moved on to better things. Last season it showed how much we missed a good left-back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sam Finley who I mentioned previously signs a two year deal. A box to box centre midfielder with good experience. Pleased with that as we need competition for places in that part of the pitch

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Previous captain at Bristol rovers and you can never have enough leaders.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, a signing! although I am going to reserve judgement as I've been here before and they sometimes turn out to be a bit rubbish for Rovers. Hopefully that is not the case here.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Midfield is the position we most needed to strengthen, in part due to Walker's injury record. We have lacked leadership in that area since the departure of Spearing and I think this is a good signing.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yeah, a signing! although I am going to reserve judgement as I've been here before and they sometimes turn out to be a bit rubbish for Rovers. Hopefully that is not the case here.
Ian, I’m surprised you are so negative and the season is two months away. ;)

Seriously, this is a good signing. I’m very impressed with his CV. Local lad, Everton reject who rebuilt his career from non-league, captain last season, L2 promotion winner. Our first signing is often someone nobody else wants, but this is clearly not the case here.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes at last we are off we needed some experience. I don't know much about him but lets welcome him and now we are up and running