• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2024-25

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
If the description is right, he is a Hendry competitor and Hendry can play wide as well. Think it might be important to have flexibility. Turnbull to left back is another option, I think the biggest priority now is a centre half similar to the big two not some shot in the dark.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
As Ian says "A signing is a signing" and as Bristol's captain he must have a leaders instinct, so that's a positive but I am concerned that by the time the season kicks off on 10th August he will be 32 and last season he missed 16 league games, the majority of which (13) were in 2024. Of the 10 league appearances in that period (2024) only 5 were of the full 90 mins. I, truly, hope the move is good for him and the club but the age and absences are a concern.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Ian, I’m surprised you are so negative and the season is two months away. ;)

Seriously, this is a good signing. I’m very impressed with his CV. Local lad, Everton reject who rebuilt his career from non-league, captain last season, L2 promotion winner. Our first signing is often someone nobody else wants, but this is clearly not the case here.
I agree BBC. He knows his way around the lower leagues and always seems to stay with a club for decent period with at least a couple or three captaining thrown in. Coes across as dedicated to his profession. Also picked up a community award down in Bristol - so probably a decent character.
Albeit he did get an 8 match ban for comments made to an opposition player re the guys Irish nationality - while at Accy.

drwhoman

This seems an excellent signing although, as has been said, we can but wait and see. As we all know, injuries are always more of a possible issue with older players. On the subject of injuries I see that Simeu has been released by Southampton after an ACL injury early last season. Unlikely that he would return to Rovers I suspect.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This seems an excellent signing although, as has been said, we can but wait and see. As we all know, injuries are always more of a possible issue with older players. On the subject of injuries I see that Simeu has been released by Southampton after an ACL injury early last season. Unlikely that he would return to Rovers I suspect.
I think he enjoyed it here and was a fan favourite. I doubt he’ll be overwhelmed with offers, so coming here must be a possibility if we give him a long term deal. Do ACL injuries still make players injury prone?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think he enjoyed it here and was a fan favourite. I doubt he’ll be overwhelmed with offers, so coming here must be a possibility if we give him a long term deal. Do ACL injuries still make players injury prone?
Simeu was great until the stupid sending off, but seemed to lose his way a little when he was available after that. Would agree he’s likely to get better offers.
On ACL injuries, I’m no medic but recall Tollitt picking up an injury soon after he returned from his ACL and the physio suggesting they were more susceptible to other problems.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just look at the comments on X from the Gas fans! Excellent signing similar to Spearing I’d suggest
Spearing actually started his Rovers career fairly poorly, think later linked to a covid infection before he joined. He did improve significantly though.

On the face of it, Finlay is a decent signing, although probably past the pinnacle of his career. If he was used instead of Walker then the midfield with the current squad is vertically challenged. So I’m in both camps, excited about Sam’s signing but tinged with caution until we see how it works on the park.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Simeu was great until the stupid sending off, but seemed to lose his way a little when he was available after that. Would agree he’s likely to get better offers.
On ACL injuries, I’m no medic but recall Tollitt picking up an injury soon after he returned from his ACL and the physio suggesting they were more susceptible to other problems.
ACL will leave your athleticism damaged, Tollitt speed and Muir agility. A centre half trades on strength and reading, so less of a problem. Simeu was quite a specimen and classy, I'd be more worried about between the ears. West London glamour to Birkenhead journeyman, may not appeal whether he has the huge riches still I have no idea but the hunger may not be there.
A downside to Nigel's ever positive outlook maybe a lack of useful cynicism, youngsters like this can lack hunger. On the face of it could also cover right back so a plus, I'd be more worried about the man than the player.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
If we are going to play two teams who are they, got two keepers?
LOC, Davies, Turnbull, Wood, Morris, Walker, Hendry, Saunders, Jennings, Norris
????,???????,????????,??????, ??????, Finlay, Merrie, Hawkes, Dennis, Taylor
Bound to have forgotten some but not many, append as necessary? For me if Finlay was any better on paper he wouldn't be coming, that is reality!

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
DB, obvious omission is Sam
Taylor. I’d guess even though we’ll have signed more by then, the odd triallist or academy player will feature at Vauxhall

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
DB, obvious omission is Sam
Taylor. I’d guess even though we’ll have signed more by then, the odd triallist or academy player will feature at Vauxhall
Triallists of course, have we got an academy anymore? Maybe you could take your boots and solve your own away record, struggling to see how this will pan out, Nigel mentioned signing players up until September deadline!

• Haha
Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If we are going to play two teams who are they, got two keepers?
LOC, Davies, Turnbull, Wood, Morris, Walker, Hendry, Saunders, Jennings, Norris
????,???????,????????,??????, ??????, Finlay, Merrie, Hawkes, Dennis, ??????
Bound to have forgotten some but not many, append as necessary? For me if Finlay was any better on paper he wouldn't be coming, that is reality!
Under contract now are Mcgee Murphy O'Connor wood Davies turnbull walker hendry Merrie finley Taylor hawkes norris Dennis Morris Saunders Jennings.
Without ant leaving that's 17 with 8 more to come to get to the 25 required, though I suspect some may yet move on.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Lewis Warrington released by Everton another we would have back. But guess he will go LG 1 or championship

Very pleased with the Finley signing, it injects some sorely needed leadership and grit into the squad. A few more signings with those characteristics are probably still needed too.

To get those ingredients at this level can often mean a 30-something player who may or may not last the duration of his contract - there’s only so many crunching tackles a body can take in a career! But that’s just a ‘risk’ that comes with the territory. It’s not as if he’s been particularly injury prone but, in any case, we’ll have done our homework on assessing that risk.

As such, the more important thing for me is that he also has quality, and he’s shown he does have the quality for this division and the one above.

So, in terms of bringing leadership, grit and quality into the midfield, I don’t think we could’ve done much better than this. Certainly a big upgrade on those we’ve let go.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes Harper sounds like it’s close to being done with the other rumoured Scottish signing being Finlay Robertson from Dundee. Both are young lads which is fine but not sure if they are ready to seriously compete for a place in the starting 11
Looks like Harper is going to Carlisle

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Left back Cameron Harper from Inverness who we were linked with apparently joining Carlisle

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think Cameron Harper could have been a decent addition to the squad, but we move on.

The ITKs elsewhere are suggesting that there may be two payers who've signed already but not been announced. Also that we'll be giving ex Marine striker Sol Solomon a trial.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Well its defo the quiet season last season we hit the ground running early but this seems like a propper tranmere transfer window quiet then we will probably have 5.in 1 day just hope we get some goals and aggression in the team and qyality

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I read something about Bristow recently and wondered would anyone take him back? When fit Stockport seemed to prefer Touray and Minnesota are apparently keen to offload him. Not perfect but I’d take him as competition for Wood.