• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Just seen a rumour elsewhere that Pike may well be leaving this week? NL window closes end of this week so if true I assume he has been told we are not interested in an extension and he has a decent offer.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Just seen a rumour elsewhere that Pike may well be leaving this week? NL window closes end of this week so if true I assume he has been told we are not interested in an extension and he has a decent offer.
Not upto league 2 standards, so NL would make sense

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pike wasn’t terrible, but not done enough to get a new deal. Think he may benefit from joining a club at NL where he’s getting regular football.

Has there been any update on Wood’s fitness? If he’s unavailable presume Norris J at left-back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree we can afford to let Pike leave. He's not as good as LOC or Wood and may want first team football.
That said we could easily lose both LOC and Wood at the end of the season and need new fullbacks! But I wouldn’t be concerned if Pike left

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The club have activated the extensions of Hawkes and Morris for 1 year each.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The club have activated the extensions of Hawkes and Morris for 1 year each.
Very good news. Morris isn’t a shock but I said a few weeks ago Nigel may turn on the positivity with Josh and tell him with apter going he’ll be first choice to replace him either on the right or swap with Morris. Both Josh and Kieran have a goal in them and are at good ages so I’m pleased with this.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Excellent news, although disappointed the extension is not for longer. We now have almost our full first team signed up for next season. Assuming we activate Turnbull's option, we are only short of the full backs. I can't remember us ever being so well advanced with contracts in March. Expect more announcements shortly, I expect.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes this is very good news we need some more quality players in the summer and not filling the team with bit part players who just wast wages and places

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Excellent news, although disappointed the extension is not for longer. We now have almost our full first team signed up for next season. Assuming we activate Turnbull's option, we are only short of the full backs. I can't remember us ever being so well advanced with contracts in March. Expect more announcements shortly, I expect.
Turnbull will be extended, not sure we will be able to keep O'Connor as he will get better offers elsewhere

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
There are two Kingyisms that play on my mind, I know Nigel was a disciple. Kingy always defended from the front and never liked having two fully up, Nigel appears the same with his use of Jenno. I'd like to see Norris and Dennis up top to see if it works, cannot see Dennis anywhere but in the box so he might do well but not under Nigel.
The other is general Kingy would never lose a player unless he knew he could get better. Most fans want players ditched with no idea what comes next. Nigel didn't have to keep Hawkes, he has been underwhelming, but he has clearly come to a pragmatic conclusion.
The regular eleven with little help from the bench have got us near top 3 standard, we are not far from nailing that core down. Additions should make us stronger?

ADD

Player
Norwood
Fair enough though I think with Hawkes that may also reflect a desire to get a fee when/ if he leaves.
McAlear has supposedly also had his extension option exercised I read elsewhere which is a slight surprise. Turnbull is also reportedly exercised also. Presumably he is being kept to announce just before Early Bird finishes.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I think that is really good news.
I hope this means that players are now getting offers to spend more seasons than the last few years, a good supply of stability.
And maybe, just maybe, a quality signing or two in the summer to strengthen the squad.
We defo need additional quality if we are going to have a chance at promotion.
If that is the plan???
One could be Apter, maybe, just maybe!!!
Keeping my ear to the ground.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Fair enough though I think with Hawkes that may also reflect a desire to get a fee when/ if he leaves.
McAlear has supposedly also had his extension option exercised I read elsewhere which is a slight surprise. Turnbull is also reportedly exercised also. Presumably he is being kept to announce just before Early Bird finishes.
Yes, I think Hawkes might still be sold this summer.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
There has been interest and bids for Hawkes previously, I expect there will be more in the summer
As a right footed left side who was also top scorer but now barely gets on the pitch. As Doohan was publicly dropping everything and attracted £120k, you could be right but I suspect not.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Suggestion elsewhere that we might be signing Jake Leake, who's been injured most of the season while on loan from Hull.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
An extract from Nigels comments in the programme today:

“We intend to have a smaller squad next season and we have scope to bring in several new additions before we kick off again in August”
Worryingly also said we ate in talks with several others to extend their contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.