• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Cogley had a loan spell at Crawley and some first team action with Birmingham. He also joined us when in his mid 20s so in footballing terms significantly older than Hockenhull. I wouldn’t say the parallels between Josh and Ben are that strong, but would be happy if he was felt good enough to be in first team contention from the off.
Cogley, although slightly older, had barely played any competitive football before he arrived.

O'Connor had not played any professional football before arriving but became a regular. Ditto the even younger Lewis Warrington.

I believe we are signing these younger players from higher levels with the intention that they will play regularly.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m with Boz on this one. Cogley was much more experienced, having played several games of league football at our level and above. A better comparison by age and experience is O’Connor, although he came first on loan so was less of a risk.

Having said that, I welcome the signing as a step in the right direction. My only concern is that good youngsters we have developed often leave at the end of their contract for no fee, as Ihiekwe did and Macdonald may well do. The only player I think we have moved on at a profit in recent years is Ollie Norburn. We need to get better at finding good prospects and tie them down with two year deals with a one year option.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was not making a a comparison solely with Cogley. O'Connor, Doohan, Warrington and Nevitt also fit the description of players that came here with very little or no first team experience but came straight into the side and played regularly. So did Glatzel last season.

There is clearly no reluctance to play youngsters with that profile if they are good enough, even if they have not played a single professional game previously.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I agree, I’m all for playing youngsters if they are good enough although we also have to make sure we don’t end up with too much inexperience in the squad when we need a bit more mental and physical toughness at various points in the season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers linked with Manchester born Halifax captain Niall Maher. A 26 year old Centre back who is their captain.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Rovers linked with Manchester born Halifax captain Niall Maher. A 26 year old Centre back who is their captain.
Also Tom Bradbury who is another centre half at Halifax

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There is also talk about signing a young keeper on loan from Liverpool which if true will be disappointing as I think we need another experienced keeper

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
There is also talk about signing a young keeper on loan from Liverpool which if true will be disappointing as I think we need another experienced keeper
Given Murphy’s form late last season would it a total surprise? I’m not sure. Yes he’s over 40 but was very good so I wonder if we’ll start with him as number 1 with a young and cheap back up. Can always bring someone else in during the season but Joe did nothing wrong arguably to not be number 1

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Given Murphy’s form late last season would it a total surprise? I’m not sure. Yes he’s over 40 but was very good so I wonder if we’ll start with him as number 1 with a young and cheap back up. Can always bring someone else in during the season but Joe did nothing wrong arguably to not be number 1
I would prefer a keeper on at least a 2 year contract for stability and to get an understanding with the defence

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Max Fisher and Arthur Lomax sign professional contracts, Lomax was in Wigan junior set up.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Lomax was with rovers when younger then left to join Wigan and back again

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Recall Fisher mentioned as playing quite well and getting an assist in one of the pre-season games. Don't know much about Lomax, but no issue with bolstering squad depth.

Jaros, the Liverpool keeper loaned to Notts County didn't seem to fare that well there. I would be very concerned if the plan was to make him no 1 for the coming season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Recall Fisher mentioned as playing quite well and getting an assist in one of the pre-season games. Don't know much about Lomax, but no issue with bolstering squad depth.

Jaros, the Liverpool keeper loaned to Notts County didn't seem to fare that well there. I would be very concerned if the plan was to make him no 1 for the coming season.
Agreed, I believe it would be a mistake and would have concerns if that was the case with Jaros

drwhoman

Agreed, I believe it would be a mistake and would have concerns if that was the case with Jaros
I agree. Pool have a lot of keepers and they want to find homes for some of them. Certainly, Jaros is not one of the highly rated ones.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Peter Clarke turned down new contract..

Grateful for all that he’s done during his 2.5 years with us, unsure that Walsall is a step up, reunion with Monthe. Not really sure how I feel about this until our own defensive line-up becomes clearer.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Whilst he has been incredible for us, age has definitely caught up with Clarkey. We were getting caught out for pace a fair bit last season, and the new signing of the lad from Brentford is a move in the right direction. Tom Davies (if he stays fit), with some pace next to him is a decent pairing in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.