• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
unsure that Walsall is a step up, reunion with Monthe.
Walsall have also signed Oisin McEntee from Newcastle, who looks a bit more experienced than our signing from Brentford having played for Morton last season. So, 3 into 2 doesn't work there either!

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m a little torn about clarkey leaving. Yes he had his negative moments late last season but I think we still had the best defensive record in the league. It’s clear we’ll be changing our style of play next season, a higher line encouraging us to score ‘goals, goals and goals’ as Mark P put it. Will our defensive record be as good next season? Probably not and we’ll need to compensate that by scoring more goals. Which is exciting in one sense but Clarke still obviously thinks he can play every minute of every game. Time will tell whether it’s a good move for both parties however we clearly need reinforcements in that area with a recently signed untried youngster, and Davies who had a very good season but does pick up injuries

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We didn’t score enough last season - partly perhaps due to the deep defensive line but also partly because our strikers weren’t good enough. That needs improving just as much as the back 4. Only Hemmings is a reliable scorer in my opinion

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
OK, talk has already started in a couple of other places, so I thought I'd kick this discussion off in its own thread.

Under contract for two more seasons, we have Josh Hawkes, Lee O'Connor and Kane Hemmings. Under contract for one more, we have Elliott Nevitt, Josh Dacres-Cogley and Chris Merrie. Whose existing contract should we extend? Should we be looking to offload any of these players? Are we likely to sell any during the close season?

Out of contract are Joe Murphy, Mani, Joe Maguire, Mateusz Hewelt, Peter Clarke, Tom Davies, Kyle Hayde, NKP, Calum Macdonald, Kieran Morris, Ryan Stratulis, Callum Macmanaman, Sam Foley, Jake Burton, Nicky Maynard and Charlie Jolley. Who would we like to re-sign and who should we allow to move on?

On loan, we have Ross Doohan, Lewis Warrington, Josh McPake and Paul Glatzel. Which loanees would we like to keep (on loan or under contract)? Would we have any chance of getting them?

We have the basis of a decent squad with some good young players under contract plus the potent Hemmings. However, currently we have no goalkeepers and hardly any defenders. We still need a few more midfielders and wide players. Ironically, one area which is relatively strong is upfront - three strikers.

What do we all think?
The only problem I can see is having to put up with those awfully tactics of that old dinasaur Mellon for yet another season - replace him for a young keen football savvy manager !

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
walsall fans a bit underwhelmed by signing a forty year old. Some entertaining views on their forums which have reminded me that clarke was frustrating at times last season

“Thoroughly underwhelmed by this. Based solely on the home game v Tranmere last season, he seemed more interested in needling the opposition and moaning to the ref than actually defending. And when called upon to actually defend, he gave the match-winning penalty away”

walsall may well have an ex rovers back 3 next season with Donovan Daniels and monthe either side of Clarke

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The only problem I can see is having to put up with those awfully tactics of that old dinasaur Mellon for yet another season - replace him for a young keen football savvy manager !

as has been said previously micky was likely only negative because of the players he had at his disposal. When we had cookie, Norwood and Connor Jennings we were scoring for fun because we had great national league level attacking players. Whereas last season we didn’t have enough league two players of equivalent calibre. So micky will have knowm we couldn’t score many so had to play defensive, keep clean sheets and nick a goal. Although the swindon and Exeter home games showed that we could play differently, but over the course of the season it made sense to some degree. Granted it was painful to watch at times.

So micky had to use his squad in the best possible and pragmatic way. However I accept next season with more recruitment this year means micky Will be understandably questioned if the style of play was the same

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think these are both good moves.

Clarke has been a good servant, but we need more mobility at the back. We can't on the one hand defend higher up the pitch and play more expansively, and on the other have a forty one year old at centre half. Micky was clearly prepared to have a difficult conversation with Clarke and tell him he would not play every week, as he did with McNulty a few years ago.

I think the Lewis signing is a good one. We did not score enough goals last season, and he scores goals from midfield. He also gives us more height in the middle of the pitch.

He had a good season at Northampton last year and was always prominent in the highlights of their matches.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Paul Lewis returns on a 2 year contract
Well I didn’t see that coming. I always felt he was a bit under appreciated by the SWA. After all he was in a squad that got us to the play offs and did the same for Northampton this season. Not an out and out centre mid, better as a number 10. Gives us options

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC says Lewis will give us some height in the middle. Apparently he wanted a move back north but it’s decent business for a free transfer and a good age at 27

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As RLC says Lewis will give us some height in the middle. Apparently he wanted a move back north but it’s decent business for a free transfer and a good age at 27
Agreed think it's a good signing at a decent age and for 2 years

drwhoman

Lewis is a good signing and I am amazed that Walsall have signed a forty year old centre back. Clarke has had a good career and has been a stalwart for Rovers but time waiteth for no man. He may do ok but I doubt if Walsall will be play off material.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lewis I’m genuinely unsure about. Don’t recall anyone here was devastated when he left after a reasonable season with us. Agree his height will be useful and scoring from midfield though his finishing was patchy. Used to give away a fair number of silly fouls too.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm with Boz. He was alright but I think we need better players if we are to improve on the season just gone. Seems like a bit of a easy, lazy signing to me. I know he turned it down but I don't think we should have offered Clarke a contract either. He's been great for us but he'll be another year older and those legs just a bit slower. I'm also not sure if the dynamics were right with him as I think he intimidated some of the younger players. Not that is matters now, but so far not all that impressed with recruitment decisions.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A bit harsh on Lewis I think. His last two seasons he’s been an important part of teams that have reached the play offs. And if it wasn’t for that crazy Bristol rovers result he would have been in a promotion winning side. I can understand some reservations but as a squad player on a free transfer I think it’s a decent signing. We needed more players in their 20s with decent experience and Lewis brings that. He won’t set the place on fire of course but I’m fairly pleased with it as a squad signing

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought Lewis's finishing was actually very good last time around. He is not great on the ball, but he is probably as good as any midfielder at this level at timing runs into the box and getting on the end of things.

As Sparky says, you won't have a midfield packed with world beaters at this level. It is about having the right blend, and Lewis gives us a goalscoring threat from the centre of midfield which we did not have last season.

He played virtually every game for a team that finished fourth last season and, let's face it, if Vaughan had not have got injured he would have been promoted automatically with us the season before.

I think a lot of the negative comment is due to Hill playing him out of position as a striker when Vaughan was unavailable, a role which he was not suited to.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I am underwhelmed with both of the new players, MP said in the Q & A said they had agreed on forward players to be more forward-thinking and score goals goals and more goals

Status
Not open for further replies.