• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree AM but I would still prefer Joe between the sticks if it was a choice between the two. I think Doohan is a decent keeper who is still learning but Joe has been there, done it and is a safe pair of hands. That's my problem if Doohan stepped in. I never thought like this when Davies was in goal either. I think it is probably an age/experience thing.

drwhoman

I agree AM but I would still prefer Joe between the sticks if it was a choice between the two. I think Doohan is a decent keeper who is still learning but Joe has been there, done it and is a safe pair of hands. That's my problem if Doohan stepped in. I never thought like this when Davies was in goal either. I think it is probably an age/experience thing.
Fair comment Ian but if Joe is now also coaching he will presumably be involved with the signing of any keeper and I imagine it will depend on whether he sees Ross as a development project. Tyrer (?) from Everton has also been mooted - he would probably fit into the same category. All this said, the bottom line is that we need a dependable keeper if we are to do well. Howard going to Wrexham was presumably money given his age.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’d be surprised if Ross would sign if he wasn’t given assurances he’d start as first choice. He’s 24 now so will want first team football and given he was dropped for Murphy not too long ago would he want to come back to warm the bench? Unlikely.

Plus as has been said previously do we need a back up keeper of his calibre and presumably wage? Murphy didn’t put a foot wrong and I’d rather wages were spent elsewhere

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I’d be surprised if Ross would sign if he wasn’t given assurances he’d start as first choice. He’s 24 now so will want first team football and given he was dropped for Murphy not too long ago would he want to come back to warm the bench? Unlikely.

Plus as has been said previously do we need a back up keeper of his calibre and presumably wage? Murphy didn’t put a foot wrong and I’d rather wages were spent elsewhere
I do like the idea of the money being spent elsewhere given Joe has shown he's plenty good enough. If he can improve a young gun good enough to be a reliable deputy that could be further monet saved. I'm sure the likes of Hewelt or Tyrer would be cheaper than Doohan.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I do like the idea of the money being spent elsewhere given Joe has shown he's plenty good enough. If he can improve a young gun good enough to be a reliable deputy that could be further monet saved. I'm sure the likes of Hewelt or Tyrer would be cheaper than Doohan.
Tyrer is under contract for another 3 years and is highly rated at Everton if we were to sign him on loan I would think we would have to guarantee a certain amount of game time.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like RLC I would be happy if Doohan returned as long as it wasn’t impacting the budget elsewhere. As to who would start as number one, if Ross did rejoin my guess is he would but he’d have to stay in good form as he was dropped only a few months ago for 40 year old Joe

ADD

Player
Norwood
Would have expected if we were going to sign Doohan that he would have been in already? Think that rumour elsewhere was probably from a WUM given he was supposed to have been announced 2 days ago.
More likely surely that we will be going for a more established keeper unless Murphy is keener to play on a regular basis than he suggested when his Coaching role was confirmed..

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Would have expected if we were going to sign Doohan that he would have been in already? Think that rumour elsewhere was probably from a WUM given he was supposed to have been announced 2 days ago.
More likely surely that we will be going for a more established keeper unless Murphy is keener to play on a regular basis than he suggested when his Coaching role was confirmed..
I'm a bit confused on this one myself. All indications were that Joe would step back and be our No. 2 No. 1. There seems to be as much expectation that we are bringing in an understudy as a first choice keeper. Interesting, and time will tell. Personally, I'd not have a problem with Joe being our first choice for a season with a decent back up; and I'd be delighted if we brought in somebody who left Joe as standby on merit.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Omari Patrick not in the Carlisle squad tonight, and some suggestion that he is coming here.

Status
Not open for further replies.