• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Slightly off topic but not worth starting another thread, I notice there is an important rule change for EFL matches next season. Seven substitutes can still be named but now up to five can be used. However, teams can only make changes at halftime and on three other occasions. Presumably, this is to reduce the total time delays for subs and will mean more double and even some triple substitutions.

I can see this making a difference in some cases. By changing up to half your outfield players, you can change the shape of your team and replace older players when they get tired. It will inevitably favour teams with larger squads, but will also make it easier to keep more fringe squad players happy. I wonder what Micky thinks about it.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Slightly off topic but not worth starting another thread, I notice there is an important rule change for EFL matches next season. Seven substitutes can still be named but now up to five can be used. However, teams can only make changes at halftime and on three other occasions. Presumably, this is to reduce the total time delays for subs and will mean more double and even some triple substitutions.

I can see this making a difference in some cases. By changing up to half your outfield players, you can change the shape of your team and replace older players when they get tired. It will inevitably favour teams with larger squads, but will also make it easier to keep more fringe squad players happy. I wonder what Micky thinks about it.
This sounds very similar to the covid rules that Mike Jackson (ab)used?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Micky is currently second favourite for the Blackpool job. I can't really see it, but stranger things have happened.

drwhoman

Another interesting change for next season is that clubs may use their away kits at home if there are possible team differentiation issues for colour blind people. I thought that something like this was beyond the thought processes of the EFL!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I agree with both of you. Unlikely but not impossible that he goes. If that did happen, finding a suitable replacement would not be easy.
Whenever Micky leaves I hope we go down the route of a younger man.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I hope you are right, RLC. But if it did happen, it really would knock us back a bit.

One of those where I’d be surprised if he left after what happened when he last left us. He’s moved to the Wirral and is now settled. However he lived for many years in the Blackpool area plus they are side who I think were in the championship not that long ago so it could be a pull for him.
Most Blackpool fans are expecting the favourite rosenior to get the job but could be interesting

Player
Manager
John King
One of those where I’d be surprised if he left after what happened when he last left us. He’s moved to the Wirral and is now settled. However he lived for many years in the Blackpool area plus they are side who I think were in the championship not that long ago so it could be a pull for him.
Most Blackpool fans are expecting the favourite rosenior to get the job but could be interesting
They are in the Championship now Sparky. If he was offered the job he would leave, but I think it is unlikely to happen.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ah ok thanks RLC. Like you say he would go if tempted but with all due respect to Micky, the tangerines may have bigger names in the frame

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I thought it was a strange decision by Critchley to quit as Blackpool manager to join Villas coaching set up, he seemed to be doing OK unless he just didn't fancy being a manager

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought it was a strange decision by Critchley to quit as Blackpool manager to join Villas coaching set up, he seemed to be doing OK unless he just didn't fancy being a manager
Maybe thought he’d taken them as far as they can go? Although they had one season in the Prem, realistically most don’t see them getting back up there. Plus the pay at Villa in his new role still likely to be better.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Maybe thought he’d taken them as far as they can go? Although they had one season in the Prem, realistically most don’t see them getting back up there. Plus the pay at Villa in his new role still likely to be better.
Does seem bit odd after only 2 years but maybe down to money

drwhoman

Does seem bit odd after only 2 years but maybe down to money
The opportunity to again with Gerrard would have been a factor particularly with Beale leaving. Far more exciting I would suggest than keeping a faded seaside town in the Championship?

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, it smacked of a lack of ambition to me. If he had continued to do a reasonable job at Blackpool, there was always a chance he would be picked up by a bigger Championship club or a low end EPL team.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Critchley is clearly ambitious, otherwise he would not have left his job at Liverpool. He wanted to be a manager and has proved he can be successful. He must surely think that next season in the Championship will be a struggle, so it’s arguable what would be gained by him staying. Just a year of stress.

He is still only 40. I doubt more money is his main objective. I think he fancies being a Premier League manager, but he had an undistinguished playing career, so he needs to spend more time at an EPL club at a senior level to learn. He obviously knows Gerrard well and respects him. He will learn a lot and do his reputation no harm if Villa do well next season. He may even get the Villa manager’s job eventually when Stevie G moves on.

drwhoman

Critchley is clearly ambitious, otherwise he would not have left his job at Liverpool. He wanted to be a manager and has proved he can be successful. He must surely think that next season in the Championship will be a struggle, so it’s arguable what would be gained by him staying. Just a year of stress.

He is still only 40. I doubt more money is his main objective. I think he fancies being a Premier League manager, but he had an undistinguished playing career, so he needs to spend more time at an EPL club at a senior level to learn. He obviously knows Gerrard well and respects him. He will learn a lot and do his reputation no harm if Villa do well next season. He may even get the Villa manager’s job eventually when Stevie G moves on.
I agree BBTC. There are ways and ways to get ahead but this seems a sensible step to me. Take your opportunities when they arise and do not wait for the next one as it may never come!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

I would think he would learn more about being a manager whilst being on the role rather than just being on the coaching staff.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I would think he would learn more about being a manager whilst being on the role rather than just being on the coaching staff.
The point is that he will be in a managerial role, as Gerard’s number two. Although called assistant head coach, that really means assistant manager. Being on the bench for every first-team game, discussing tactics with his boss, will be an invaluable experience.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The point is that he will be in a managerial role, as Gerard’s number two. Although called assistant head coach, that really means assistant manager. Being on the bench for every first-team game, discussing tactics with his boss, will be an invaluable experience.
Have to agree to disagree.

Unless Gary Mcallister has moved on, Critchley won't be assistant manager

Status
Not open for further replies.