• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Doyle is a player on his way down in my opinion, but would certainly score goals at this level as he has before. Not sure bringing another 32+ year old forward is a progressive move though, he scores goals in teams that create lots of chances, which we are not set up to do. Would much rather see some pace brought into the team.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some good points charlton1975. As has been said previously we won’t keep clean sheets every week but despite being far from prolific we are in touching distance of the automatic places.

Would definitely like some more pace. McPake May bring some which we’ll need especially if hawkes went back to Sunderland

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Doyle was top scorer in League Two in a promotion winning side two seasons ago, and scored a lot of goals in Bolton's promotion winning team last season. I am not convinced he needs a great number of chances to score goals, as he is simply a natural finisher: Bolton were not prolific last season and a lot of their victories were by single goal margins. The other strikers we have provide plenty of workrate and energy and are all long term prospects, but we could also do with somebody experienced up front, particularly as Maynard is out for the season.

I don't realistically know of a player we could attract who would be better than Doyle, not that I think he is likely to come here.

Last edited:

ADD

Player
Norwood
Is Stratulis still out on loan does anyone know? I assume he is injured either way as he has not been selected at his loan club in weeks? If so how badly - anyone know? Thanks!

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
The Bolton press reported that English clubs were interested after the Irish article was published and Evatt said yesterday no deal had been done. However, I would not expect him to come here.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Doyle is a player on his way down in my opinion, but would certainly score goals at this level as he has before. Not sure bringing another 32+ year old forward is a progressive move though, he scores goals in teams that create lots of chances, which we are not set up to do. Would much rather see some pace brought into the team.
Vaughan was also over 30 and on his way down. We cannot sign anyone on his way up as we can’t afford decent transfer fees. In the last few years, we have only been able to afford youngsters like Jolley, whose career had stalled, or Nevitt, who was a part-timer playing several tiers below.

I agree about the pace, but surely we can replace both Hawkes and Maynard. We only need three players - those two plus another central defender.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really hope we don’t end up in a situation like last season where we have no experienced striker on the books, or what I should say is no decent experienced striker!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
O️n Twitter

Middlesbrough are set to recall Djed Spence (Forest), Stephen Walker (Tranmere) & Lewis Wing (Sheffield Wednesday) from their loans to play tomorrow.

They currently have 9 first team players OUT through Covid & long-term injuries.

#Boro

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The Daily Record says Josh McPake to have a medical with us this week ahead of sign for rest the season

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The Daily Record says Josh McPake to have a medical with us this week ahead of sign for rest the season
It looks a done deal, although the more a deal is publicised the more I get nervous that other clubs could jump in at the last moment and make a better offer. When his photo appears on the OS, I'll believe it.

It looks like there has been no decision on Josh Hawkes. Even if we sign McPake, I expect Micky would still like to keep him. This article, published yesterday, explains the situation. Hawkes might be recalled, but possibly only for a short time. If he subsequently goes out again on loan, it has to be to us. He can only play for two clubs in the same season.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I share BBTCs sentiments about getting excited over McPake before his arrival is confirmed by the club.

While he was injured for part of his loan spell at Morecambe, wonder why that didn't work out and why they didn't want to extend the deal. Which version of Josh McPake might we be seeing, the one who was probably the best opposing player while at Harrogate last season. or the one who has found this season more challenging? Hopefully the former.

Player
Ian Goodison
Doyle was top scorer in League Two in a promotion winning side two seasons ago, and scored a lot of goals in Bolton's promotion winning team last season. I am not convinced he needs a great number of chances to score goals, as he is simply a natural finisher: Bolton were not prolific last season and a lot of their victories were by single goal margins. The other strikers we have provide plenty of workrate and energy and are all long term prospects, but we could also do with somebody experienced up front, particularly as Maynard is out for the season.

I don't realistically know of a player we could attract who would be better than Doyle, not that I think he is likely to come here.
He is also a qualified electrician which might come in handy during the winter months at Prenton Park.

Player
Manager
John King
I share BBTCs sentiments about getting excited over McPake before his arrival is confirmed by the club.

While he was injured for part of his loan spell at Morecambe, wonder why that didn't work out and why they didn't want to extend the deal. Which version of Josh McPake might we be seeing, the one who was probably the best opposing player while at Harrogate last season. or the one who has found this season more challenging? Hopefully the former.
In fairness to McPake, he was playing at a higher level at Morecambe, and in a team that is in a rearguard action in a lot of matches, rather than playing expansively. That style probably did no suit him, and I would guess they did not even operate with wingers a lot of the time, which would mean he would not be selected for tactical reasons.

I think if he arrives, it is just crucial we keep him fit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That could just be the boost we need. Fingers crossed!