• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The good thing is that Jacko has worked with both strikers and will know what they can do and what their issues are. I would trust him and Mark to make the right decision, but I would be surprised if we don't have competition for their services, particularly Vaughan.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given how cautious Palios is financially, he is hardly going to put the club at risk by signing him, particularly if the fees quoted above are accurate.

I agree that's not going to happen.

Bradford fans don't seem to think he's leaving, so might all be academic.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
From the signs immediately prior to lockdown, Ferrier and Vaughan would cause some real damage in L2. At that level, and with the right service, either or both of them would improve their goals per game ratio. IF we had those two I struggle to see how Cook would fit in apart from being a replacement and "offering something different" in certain circumstances, and I can't see him being happy with that. I think at L2 level it is easier to defend against a more "traditional" centre forward than pace and movement. I'd be delighted if we could secure Vaughan and downgraded our budget for the third striker.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Given good service cook will score goals, Vaughan the same. If we have those 2 and ferried we have so.e decent firepower.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Given good service cook will score goals, Vaughan the same. If we have those 2 and ferried we have so.e decent firepower.
I agree, I'm just not sure that our budget is likely to stretch to Vaughan AND Cook without major sacrifices elsewhere. It would be awesome if we had all 3!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree, I'm just not sure that our budget is likely to stretch to Vaughan AND Cook without major sacrifices elsewhere. It would be awesome if we had all 3!
Yes, I was thinking the same. We already have Ferrier and Payne under contract, and they will be on decent money by our standards.

If it was a choice between Vaughan and Cook, I would definitely choose Vaughan.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
At the other end of the field, I'd like to think MJ was looking to get Mark Ellis back onboard particularly if there any doubt about Monthe;s future with us.

drwhoman

Who would be a Manager! The Cowley boys sacked after ten months. Pearson less than that! At least our owners are smart enough to know that success is never instant. You can never wave a magic wand! Best of luck Jacko!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Who would be a Manager! The Cowley boys sacked after ten months. Pearson less than that! At least our owners are smart enough to know that success is never instant. You can never wave a magic wand! Best of luck Jacko!
Watford have a radically different approach to managerial appointments, that's for sure! That's their 3rd sacking this season which pretty much follows the pattern since their current owners took over. Bizarrely, and if the aim is survival in the PL, it is working for them. This one does seem odd, even by their standards, since Pearson has taken them to a position where they are odds on to stay up - and there are only 2 games left. Thank God Rovers don't take this approach - I couldn't deal with the collateral on the forums!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Both the Cowleys and Pearson have been treated badly given the situations they were in at the point they were brought in.

However, you can wonder if Rovers might have fared differently with trigger happy Chairs. Could someone else have saved our FL status if Adams had been given the chop in March? Or after an underwhelming first season in the NL maybe axing Brabin would have changed our fate? However Micky wasn’t available then and could have ended up with worse, while our promotion season from the NL started badly and a Watford-style owner would not have the patience to let MM stay and lead us to a triumphant return to the FL.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Boz, the sad fact is that as a Premiership club, Watford have money to burn. We have to watch the pennies and make more considered judgements. I remember one of Mark’s first moves when he bought the club was to offer help to Rob Edwards before eventually sacking him. He was patient with Adams, Brabin and even Mellon.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
BBTC, don’t disagree re Watford’s finances. However Pearson’s contract ended when the season finishes and don’t see the youth coach who’s taken over being better equipped to get the necessary points for survival from the last two games.

I agree the Palioi have done pretty well for us in that regard. Rogers not giving Ray Mathias enough time and Johnson replacing Ronnie Moore with John Barnes are a couple of examples in the recent past where our Chair could have benefitted by taking their approach.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, hopefully this will make way for a signing or two.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hope Mullin does well - except against us. Always worked his socks off and whilst not exactly prolific (he never has been), he’s a decent league 2 player. Hopefully we can offload Payne too!