• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Great news about Ellis as he is our best natural defender, taking account of Clarke's age.

I agree it would suggest somebody is leaving, as it would be strange to have five experienced centre halves given the wage cap and squad restrictions.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Ellis has signed.... wonder if anyone is going??
Yes, we now have five senior central defenders plus Liam Ridehalgh, who can also play there. That's at least one too many for the balance of the squad. We are short of cover at full-back with although Manny has done a good job there. However, I am very pleased so far with the comings and goings this summer, which can hardly be faulted. The owners, management team and recruitment people have clearly been working hard and have done a great job, particularly when you realise we had no manager for a while.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Other options for full-back are Kyle Hayde, if he's ready, or Kieron Morris, who filled in occasionally last season. If we play 3-5-2, the squad looks more balanced.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Calum McDonald joins on a season loan from Blackpool. The 22 year old is a left sided defensive player so good competition for Rides.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A sensible, low-risk signing using the Spearing - Dawes Blackpool connection. They know him, so he should provide the cover needed.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hadn't heard of Calum McDonald, but reading a couple of their fan-forums, he seems fairly well thought of and they were quite surprised he'd been loaned out.

The only concern I have is that while we have Rides and Calum at left-back with Manny and Morris as options, on the right we only have O'Connor, with Rides at a push. Don't know where Kyle Hayde normally plays but guess he's unlikely to be in first team contention.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Another couple of good pieces of business, the squad is coming along well and is by no means finished as yet.

Player
Manager
John King
McDonald seems really highly rated by the Blackpool fans and most of them are gutted he has gone, so I don't think he is just here as squad filler. This looks like another great piece of business.

However, I still don't think it is realistic to expect us to sign two players for every position, so the absence of perfect cover in a couple of areas does not particularly worry me.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with most of the points above regarding the current finances and the strength of the squad, but I don't think there was any deliberate policy of holding money back in the last two summers. We simply did not have much money to spend, particularly last summer when we had a very low budget for the level we were at.

Our January signings in the last two seasons were largely funded by cup runs.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
McDonald seems really highly rated by the Blackpool fans and most of them are gutted he has gone, so I don't think he is just here as squad filler. This looks like another great piece of business.

However, I still don't think it is realistic to expect us to sign two players for every position, so the absence of perfect cover in a couple of areas does not particularly worry me.
we have 19 players so far and will sign more so I think we are likely to have 2 players for each position.

drwhoman

All good news. I wonder how our total wages spend compare with any salary cap that is introduced? I imagine that Mark will have had it in mind when dealing with the unprofessional and incompetent EFL.

Player
Manager
John King
we have 19 players so far and will sign more so I think we are likely to have 2 players for each position.
We may reach 22 players, but I doubt that we will have two senior right backs, left wingers and right wingers.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
More great business by the club. Ellis is solid at the back and I hope he can stay fit for the season. McDonald is rated by their fans and that to me is a very good sign. Also provides good competition for places which is what MJ said he wanted.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We may reach 22 players, but I doubt that we will have two senior right backs, left wingers and right wingers.

I'm not sure with a smaller squad that we can have two players for each position and don't see that as a problem in itself. However, Lee O'Connor is relatively inexperienced and it strikes me as risky not to have any cover at right-back, if he's unable to make the step-up and we need to play a left-back or central defender in that position.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It’s a little worrying that so few of the current squad can play in more than one position. Apart from Morris, I don’t know of any old fashioned utility players. However, Manny played at right back at Wembley and Rides has played there too. At a push, we are already ok, but I’d like another 2 or 3 squad players. If not, it will be up to the likes of Hayde and Walker-Rice to step up and step in on occasion- no bad thing.

Player
aldo
again I say it the club is backing mike. and fair to them the team needs to step up and do it now think another forward will arrive

Player
Manager
John King
It’s a little worrying that so few of the current squad can play in more than one position. Apart from Morris, I don’t know of any old fashioned utility players. However, Manny played at right back at Wembley and Rides has played there too. At a push, we are already ok, but I’d like another 2 or 3 squad players. If not, it will be up to the likes of Hayde and Walker-Rice to step up and step in on occasion- no bad thing.
I think a number of the squad are actually versatile.

For example, O'Connor can play right across the back four, Kahn can play in midfield, out wide, or behind the striker, and Morris can play wide, as a number ten, or even as a wing back. There are a few other examples as well.

Last edited:
Player
ian goodison
its all fingers crossed but if jacksons managerial start is as promising as the signings I,m a lot more positive than a few weeks ago

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think a number of the squad are actually versatile.

For example, Donnolly can play right across the back four, Kahn can play in midfield, out wide, or behind the striker, and Morris can play wide, as a number ten, or even as a wing back. There are a few other examples as well.
Donnolly?