• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Sutton v Rovers

Match result

• Sutton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sutton v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Borough Sports Ground
Saturday, October 8, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 8, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Hoofball is Mickey’s game - that’s all he knows !
Correction - hoofball is Sutton’s game. Has been for years. Always makes me smile whenever any of the anti Mellon brigade suggest Matt Gray as his replacement!

We may have got dragged into it a bit today, and the game itself won’t last long In the memory, but nobody can dispute the best team won. And the best footballing team won. At quite a canter, too.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Of course there’s plenty of positives for yet another good win against difficult opposition and the continuation of our impressive series of wins with no goals conceded. On the flip side, but probably another positive in some ways, we can still improve in some aspects of our game and I’m sure Micky will be working on further progress. The more we play it on the deck the better we are and there were a few occasions watching today where we were a little too quick to release the ball/clear it when there were options to keep possession; nit-picking maybe, but continuous improvement means we’ll be genuine contenders. Friday nights looking good now, play-off position up for grabs albeit briefly; who’d have thought that a few weeks back!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A satisfying win. We looked better than Sutton, who are mid table and not relegation candidates.
Defensively we were superb. When did we last have a back four as good as this one?
Doohan looked comfortable and kicked well. His positioning was good but he had little to do. He soaked up quite a few minutes in the second half. He’s clearly had coaching from Scott Davies. ;)
Merrie and O’Connor had a tough time against Sutton’s big lads
Hawkes and Morris were both tidy on the ball but were too often bypassed.
Lewis and Hemmings made the difference upfront with Paul earning the penalty which Kane scored. Then Kane fed Paul for the second.
After being a bit shaky in the first half, we were in control after the break although failed to add to our tally. Nevitt slipped and missed a great chance but the pitch was very wet having been watered heavily even at half-time.
MoM for me had to be Simeu, who reminds me of a younger, slightly bulkier Goodison. He is a joy to watch and deserves his own SWA song.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
4 wins in a row and 4 clean sheets up the rovers Lewis has scored 3 in 5 games fair play to him and some are giving him shit on Twitter, as for the song he is here he is there he is every fucking where simeu simeu

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The important thing is the result, everything is secondary.
You cant ignore the reality of the form.
Clean sheets, goals, are the basics for success.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
4 wins in a row and 4 clean sheets up the rovers Lewis has scored 3 in 5 games fair play to him and some are giving him shit on Twitter, as for the song he is here he is there he is every fucking where simeu simeu
Lol! Simeu Tranmere’s quickest ever cult figure?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think what the SWA were singing was “Simeu, aha, aha, there is nothing you can do!” sung to the tune of ABBA’s Voulez-vous. Love it.

Incidentally, I think Ross is enjoying playing behind him more than Peter Clarke. There is clearly respect between them.

Last edited:

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
also, who gives a toss if its hoofball or passing we will need to change things up now and again and if we keep winning, I don't care

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
2 goals scored, clean sheet, 3 points but what a mind numbing game of hoofball....surely we can play better than this...after all it's supposed to be.... football
We played plenty of good football this afternoon, not least in the build up to the two goals. We were playing physical, direct opposition that hoof the ball long at every opportunity and continually try to disrupt your rhythm.

Player
Manager
John King
Sounded comfortable but maybe not as good an attacking performance as Salford and second half at Walsall. Happy with taking all the points
I thought we were better on the ball today than at Walsall.

Player
Manager
John King
As comfortable an away win as you are ever likely to see.

It was a bitty game due to Sutton's style, and it was difficult for us to get the ball down and play for extended periods. However, in the course of the ninety minutes we put several good moves together, particularly on the counter attack, and we were clearly the superior technical side. I don't agree with BBTC that we were outmuscled in midfield the first half: I thought we were the better team in every aspect. The midfield made a massive contribution to the defensive performance, particularly O'Connor, and we did not look in danger of conceding at any stage.

The first goal was a clever set play, where we recycled the ball instead of lumping it into the box, with good movement from Lewis winning the penalty. The second goal was a great move, initiated by a wonderful piece of skill by Morris. For all the criticism he receives, Lewis has a talent for arriving late in the box and is a very cool finisher under pressure.

I thought O'Connor, Hawkes and Morris in particular had good games, but the back four were superb again. Doohan had nothing to do other than claim crosses and sweep up, which he did very competently, and I don't think he has had a genuine save to make in four matches now. Incredible really.

It also should not go unnoticed that Hemmings racked up another assist, in addition to his goal.

I thought Turnbull was outstanding, but Lewis was my man of the match.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think what recent results have shown is if we have our best eleven then we’re a match for most teams in the division. The worry of course is if the likes of Cogley, Morris etc get injured or Simeu is recalled and sent out to a league one club. I think cogleys contract is up next summer so teams may be sniffing in January trying to do a deal. I would if I were a league one clu.

obviously there is a busy autumn and winter schedule but if we can keep going and bring in reinforcements in January then play offs minimum is a real ambition this season.

Player
Manager
John King
I think what recent results have shown is if we have our best eleven then we’re a match for most teams in the division. The worry of course is if the likes of Cogley, Morris etc get injured or Simeu is recalled and sent out to a league one club. I think cogleys contract is up next summer so teams may be sniffing in January trying to do a deal. I would if I were a league one clu.

obviously there is a busy autumn and winter schedule but if we can keep going and bring in reinforcements in January then play offs minimum is a real ambition this season.
Yes, I agree. I think there is a core of twelve to fifteen players that are very capable but if we had to use, for example, Byrne, Jameson or Nolan on a regular basis I would worry.

The majority of clubs in League Two need luck with injuries to key players due to squad sizes, probably even including Salford and Mansfield.