• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Sutton

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I am as surprised as I am disappointed. I really thought our two cup exploits would have turned our league form. This is the sort of match any aspiring team ought to win.

Am I the only one to think this could turn out to be a very long season? :(
The way it is going it is likely to be a very long season.
The lack of pace and creativity is a very big worry which won't be solved by playing 2 up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Could see what was on the cards when we lined up so negatively 1 up top who’s a (currently)non-scoring striker. Team booed off at the end and a number of questions asked about Mellon’s future overheard as I left the ground. I don’t entirely agree that we’re lacking in creativity, but failing to make the best of what we do have. Depressing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We are going nowhere with is line up...its so blatantly obvious we will struggle to score goals with 1 upfront, particularly if that lone striker is Nevitt
Completely agree. 11 goals this season is terrible quite frankly and something needs to change. There is no sugar coating that performance, it was poor.

I do feel sorry for Nevitt who is up against it but it was food and drink for their centre backs today and very little creativity. We simply do not have enough up front to trouble teams. How many saves did their keeper make?

drwhoman

Sadly, nothing changes. Something has to happen or we can kiss goodbye to any chance of promotion. Then the season becomes a procession. We can guild the lily buy about individual good performances but a loss is a loss. The fact that it is another 1-0 defeat at home is very frustrating. I can only assume that MM has visions of Nevitt suddenly turning into Norwood or Vaughan. Not going to happen.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was made up when Micky came back but they do say you should never go back. He is working with some poor players but I can’t understand why neither glatzel or Maynard didn’t start after Tuesday. Yes it might mean changing the system but this one up front clearly isn’t working

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The kind of tight. drab game I was expecting, reminiscent of our National League meetings with Sutton, and an equally disappointing outcome as several of those games. As average as the performance was, neither team deserved to win in my view and we would have taken a deserved point if it had not been for Clarke's uncharacteristic error.

Sutton are no mugs and will probably be challenging for promotion, and I don't accept that they are simply 'bang average': they are organised, physical, direct and horrible to play against. However, the way we are setting up at the moment we are always vulnerable to the sort of sucker punch we received today, as we simply don't ask enough questions of the opposition in the eighteen yard box. Simply playing another striker would not solve the problem, not least because I think we would have been bullied and outmuscled in midfield today if we had gone 442. However, there is plenty for the manager to think about tactically.

I thought the first half was ok, with some decent approach play which was again let down by the final ball, or a lack of movement from the striker in the final third. However, Sutton started the second half the sharper of the two sides, and once we conceded I could not see us getting back in the game. Hawkes and Glatzel did perk things up a bit when they came off the bench, but we still looked pretty toothless.

Individually, I thought NKP had a decent game and Feeney actually put in one of his better displays.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You can play someone like Norwood/ Vaughan in that role but not Nevitt who has huge responsibility on his shoulders. Ridiculous to be in this situation relying on a player who was playing leagues below us and still had a lot to learn.

Player
Manager
John King
I was made up when Micky came back but they do say you should never go back. He is working with some poor players but I can’t understand why neither glatzel or Maynard didn’t start. Yes it might mean changing the system but this one up front clearly isn’t working
I don't believe we have poor players. How many of Sutton's side would walk into our team ?

However, we lack an out and out goalscorer who can also contribute in general play. That makes challenging for promotion very difficult.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Feeney is past it, he’s rubbish and has been for weeks. We don’t have the pace to trouble teams either .

Player
Manager
John King
I think Feeney is past it, he’s rubbish and has been for weeks. We don’t have the pace to trouble teams either .
That was really evident today, as Sutton played a very high line in the first half. We should have been looking to play balls in behind, but everything went into Nevitt's chest which was easy for them to defend.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don't believe we have poor players. How many of Sutton's side would walk into our team ?

However, we lack an out and out goalscorer who can also contribute in general play. That makes challenging for promotion very difficult.

I think we have some poor players, not all of them. The average age is an issue. No pace. A few times today we won the ball And could have broke but it all got slowed down and allowed them to regroup.

also I think they did just about deserve to win. We created nothing of note whereas they hit the post and had one cleared off the line.

Player
Manager
John King
I think we have got enough decent players to be doing better than we are.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre

Feeney was lucky to get a new contract. He was awful the last few months of last season and is now 35/36. To be fair as RLC says he did some good things today but overall isn’t good enough often enough

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think we have got enough decent players to be doing better than we are.
Yes I agree we should be doing better. The question is whether Micky will continue to be stubborn. If the players aren’t scoring then maybe the system should change as that isn’t working.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
As Bigmart says 11 goals in 16 games, joint worst in the division alongside Carlisle who are 3rd from bottom. 4 points from a last potential 15. Today 64 minutes played with 1 striker, and this at home, overall 65% possession.....1 shot on target. I agree with Boz we were not lacking in creativity, but we were TOTALLY lacking in converting chances into real goal scoring opportunities, relying on 2 totally inexperienced youngsters upfront and then only for the last 25 minutes of the game .
As Sparky says Mellon does have some credit in the bank but that will quickly disappear if he doesn't start to turn things round, and quickly. He selects the team, he determines how they are set up, he must accept total responsibility for the dire performances we have seen over the last 3 league games. The clock is ticking Mickey get it sorted or.....

Player
Manager
John King
The calls for Mellon to be put under pressure and / or fired are absolutely laughable in my view, particularly as they are being made with absolutely no knowledge of budgets, recruitment processes and so on.

I trust him implicitly and I don't think there is any person better qualified to manage us.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree RLC but football is a ruthless business with not much sentiment these days. Palios will I am sure be expecting play offs as a minimum and there are lots of games to go, but we’re a third into the season and going forward we’ve been dreadful all season as the stats show. We signed 18 players so they will take time but as I say, there are some Alarming signs

Player
Manager
John King
I agree RLC but football is a ruthless business with not much sentiment these days. Palios will I am sure be expecting play offs as a minimum and there are lots of games to go, but we’re a third into the season and going forward we’ve been dreadful all season as the stats show. We signed 18 players so they will take time but as I say, there are some Alarming signs
But what was Palios's contribution ? It is easy just to blame Mellon but several players in key areas did not arrive until late August, and our 'marquee' striker signing who arrived on deadline day had scored two goals in his previous 26 league games, has barely featured and clearly is not trusted by the manager. Beck continues to have a major role in recruitment.

I repeat. There is nobody better qualified to manage this club than Mellon.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree with RLC. I don’t think Micky’s job is under threat - yet. If he can keep us in touch in the league and either cup, then he will last until the window and then be allowed to recruit. If Rovers manage their usual turnaround, we’ll be back challenging. If not, I think Micky’s days are numbered. Remember that Mark usually backs his managers to the hilt, as funds allow. He’ll be concerned, but will be a long way from pushing the panic button.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The recruitment wasnt orgnised by MM.
The wage structure was out of MM hands.
None of the contracts were signed by MM.
Regardless, this bunch have shown enough for me to know, for me to predict a loss today. There is too much drossin the squad.