• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Sutton

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes the recruitment has been overall poor and Palios must be held accountable and this beck chap

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree Micky is the best man but I think he needs to find a different way to play because playing this system will only cause us more problems.

Player
ian goodison
its a funny game football as I think Clarke's looked nervous with KP next to him as I think he's an accident waiting to happen, morris who looked the best player on the pitch and the most creative gets taken off and Watson & McManaman who were both poor and offered nothing stay on, the problem with mellon is he hasn't got Norwood to get us out of jail, all teams have to do is be organised as we have no threat at all, all in all another depressing sat. afternoon

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The fans weren't moaning when Nors was putting them away, when playing with one up front!
Most of MM teams and thhe shape he likes is usually 4-3-3 or a variation of 4-5-1.
Its not how they are set up, its the players who cannot compete consistently in this league.
We are just not good enough.

drwhoman

I think that a part of the problem is the age of the team. Many players who, in their day, were very good. I am sure that one reason why Mm is so conservative in structure is that gives his overage players more time. Fair enough but it means that we do nor have enough clout in the opposition penalty box. It is a reason why Hawkes has stood out, being younger and quicker than the majority.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
I'm at a loss to understand why Morris was hooked so early (not for the first time). The system we play relies on goals from midfield and he is often the one most willing to try and have a shot. His running with the ball gets us between the lines and unsettles defences. After he went off, it was mostly sideways. McManaman is looking like a luxury we can ill-afford

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We switched to 442 and went with strikers. so I think it was inevitable that Morris would come off despite having a decent game, as he can't play in that system.

If Mellon had left both Glatzel and Maynard on the bench he would have been criticised.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
<copy and paste comments from pretty much every other game this season>

Too old
Too slow
Too negative
Boring, so boring to watch

I for one do not want Micky's job to be under threat but if this dross continues then something will give, as that is football!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm at a loss to understand why Morris was hooked so early (not for the first time). The system we play relies on goals from midfield and he is often the one most willing to try and have a shot. His running with the ball gets us between the lines and unsettles defences. After he went off, it was mostly sideways. McManaman is looking like a luxury we can ill-afford
Agree about mcmamanan. Supposed to be a marquee signing but apart from the odd glimpse he’s been a disappointment.

Player
Manager
John King
It is still too early to know how good or bad the majority of this squad is. We are in touching distance of the play offs and there are two thirds of the season still to play.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is still too early to know how good or bad the majority of this squad is. We are in touching distance of the play offs and there are two thirds of the season still to play.

Yes too early and the strategy may well be let’s stay within touching distance of the top 7 until January when we can strengthen the squad. It has worked well before as we know.

As I said Micky has plenty of credit in the bank although if we lost the next 2 (Bristol rovers away and Bradford at home), that would be five defeats in a row which got dean smith sacked recently (harsh in my view)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This game had a feeling of inevitability about it from the moment the starting line-up was announced. Even if we didn't adopt the same approach as for Oldham, some adjustments could have been made; Duffy rather than Feeney for starters. Though I agree Liam was marginally better than Mcmanaman, who was very lucky to be left on the pitch when Morris, who was rightly given the MoM award by the sane sponsor ~unsure where the other got Nevitt from, was hooked. While Kieron is not best suited to a wide position, it would still have been better to keep him on and take off the ineffectual Mcmanaman. It is a concern that Micky failed to keep his best player on the park and the "wanting to play with two strikers" explanation given is unconvincing.

In my initial post match comment, I referred to a couple of overheard discussions about Micky's future which were not supportive. Actually think that if we'd lined up something similar to the Oldham game and tried to play more football, even though the result might have been the same, would have been viewed more favourably. 1 shot on target in the last two home league games is abysmal and makes Maynard's 2 goals in his last 26 FL appearances seem star-shaking. I renewed my season-ticket when Micky returned having been in two minds, so not anti-Mellon at all. However the trudge from W Yorks to watch such poor fare as the last two home FL games, means that my inclination is not to make the effort anymore. I have been persuaded to go to the Bristol Rovers game by a ground-hopping mate who's not done the Memorial yet, so maybe that will re-ignite the spark, I dunno.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes too early and the strategy may well be let’s stay within touching distance of the top 7 until January when we can strengthen the squad. It has worked well before as we know.

As I said Micky has plenty of credit in the bank although if we lost the next 2 (Bristol rovers away and Bradford at home), that would be five defeats in a row which got dean smith sacked recently (harsh in my view)
The Premier League is a different world when it comes to managerial sackings. There is no way Palios would get rid of Mellon in the next couple of weeks.

Player
Manager
John King
While Kieron is not best suited to a wide position, it would still have been better to keep him on and take off the ineffectual Mcmanaman. It is a concern that Micky failed to keep his best player on the park and the "wanting to play with two strikers" explanation given is unconvincing.
Morris was not that outstanding today, merely the best of an average bunch. He has never been a conventional winger, and does not suit a 442 with two strikers. MacManaman is more naturally suited to that role.

You can argue that MacManaman was so bad he should have been replaced, but tactically the change made sense.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I have been persuaded to go to the Bristol Rovers game by a ground-hopping mate who's not done the Memorial yet, so maybe that will re-ignite the spark, I dunno.
That is four defeats in a row then. ;)

Reactions: Boz

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Sadly I just cant see Micky changing his approach anytime soon. Nevitt is just not good enough to be playing as the focal point of an attack, and the players who are supposed to play off him are also playing far too conservatively. Whilst we got away with it at the start of the season as teams perhaps expected more from us and gave us some respect, It has quickly become flawed and teams know that there is absolutely zero threat from us on the break, so can press us back.

I do hope for a change in approach on Saturday, just to be entertained a bit!