• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Sutton

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is newly promoted Sutton next up for Rovers.

The visitors have adapted quickly to the Football League, and from what I have seen of them this season will be a very difficult opponent. They are a big side, with a number of players over six foot, and pretty direct. They recently caused absolute mayhem with their long throw and set plays against a good Port Vale side, and we will have to defend the eighteen yard box well to get a result. I don't know most of their squad, but long serving midfielder Craig Eastmond and alleged Rovers transfer target Enzo Boldewijn are familiar names.

As for ourselves, Micky probably has his most difficult team selection of the season after the performance of Glatzel, Maynard and Stratulis on Tuesday night. My gut feeling is that Glatzel will start in the number ten role in a 4231, with Maynard on the bench and Stratulis missing out, but perhaps training with the squad pre-match.

It would be possible to fit both Glatzel and Maynard into the side in the following formation, but we won't start like this:

Doohan
Cogley Clarke Davies/ NKP MacDonald
Watson Spearing Morris
Glatzel
Nevitt Maynard

We need a victory to get the league season back on track.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't know much about Sutton either, but RLCs preview brings me out in a cold sweat with memories of how Cheltenham and Tozer mangled us with their long throws last Easter.

We won't keep the fans on board with such a grind out results kind of line-up as at Crawley and it wouldn't work as well anyway, with there being no real onus on the away team to attack. I don't envy Micky the task of team selection for this game. The easy bit is the defence, which injuries permitting is the same as the one at Crawley. After that it gets more difficult...

The one player, who if fit is a certain starter is Spearing. After that, Glatzel's performance on Tuesday night should have earned him a start and having built his confidence up, it would risk denting it by ditching him. Whether that's in a front 3 with Mcmanaman and Nevitt/Maynard which was how we seemed to play v Oldham or replacing Watson in a no 10 role as at Crawley is a hard call. I agree that Stratulis won't feature but like RLCs suggestion of keeping him with the squad. I don't think Feeney's recent performances have deserved a place in the starting xi, but Morris, Watson, Foley and Duffy all made a case for being picked on Tuesday's showing.

Think this will be a tight game, expecting goals and the spoils could be shared or decided by the odd goal either way.

Player
Manager
John King
Glatzel definitely played as a number ten on Tuesday night, behind the front three of Duffy, Maynard and Walker. It was the same 4231 / 4213 system that we used at Crawley, but with different (and more attacking) personnel.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was a fairly fluid arrangement though; he was pretty much a right winger when setting up the Maynard goal.

Player
Manager
John King
It was a fairly fluid arrangement though; he was pretty much a right winger when setting up the Maynard goal.
But the central starting position helped him get into the box and score his goals.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I miss this game so look forward to reports how it went.
It is a concern they are a physical side as we couldn't cope with Northampton. I think Watson will play alongside Spearing with Glatzel in the number 10 role, a tough game think we will nick it 2 1

Player
ian goodison
the son-in-law & grandsons will arrive at 1pm for tea & bacon butties then I,ll get drinks crisps & biscuits ready then we will try to guess the score/scorers then we will arrive at the ground wait for the team to be announced then think another 90mins of drudgery, then again we MAY!!!!! go 2 up front and have a real go then again not optimistic

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I don’t think we are great when we are up against it physically, especially if the likes of Glatzel are in the side but this is where they need to toughen up and grind out results. I think it’ll be hard work tomorrow and I’m going for a draw. 1-1.

ADD

Player
Norwood
This could be a tough one. Who knows which Tranmere will turn up? Who knows what side MM will pick?
For me Glatzel and Maynard should start with Nevitt basking in his contract extension making way for us to go 442 especially since Sutton, based on RLC's initial summation, will not likely try and play that much through our midfield anyway but launch over the top. The long throws scare me witless - difficult to defend against! Stratulis maybe on the bench as recognition for his play on Tuesday - thought he was outstanding going forward or is that too much after only one game?
We do need a win to get us back going in the League but I am going for 1-1 with my fingers crossed....

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Afraid, another defeat, because, still not convinced we can defendwell enough and score enough to win.
2-0.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Fancy a win today. Any drop in confidence should have been arrested by the 2 Cup victories and our record against the top half teams is good. The "good" Rovers to turn up today; 3-1.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Feeney starts again. How is that happening ?!

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Maynard and glatzel Both sub too which is a shame after Tuesday

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The only change from the Cup win is Morris replacing the absent international O’Connor. Good performances in the Pizza Cup seem not to have registered, while it’s hard to understand how the out of sorts Feeney makes another start as Sparky notes. One positive is Hawkes makes the bench.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Lots of huffing and puffing, not much goal mouth action. Look a little devoid of ideas.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sutton hit the post with a header, goal gaping. Rovers haven’t come close to testing their keeper, who seems to have picked up a knock. Poor.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
We are going nowhere with is line up...its so blatantly obvious we will struggle to score goals with 1 upfront, particularly if that lone striker is Nevitt

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
11 goals scored so far in the league says it all, the season is going nowhere fast.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am as surprised as I am disappointed. I really thought our two cup exploits would have turned our league form. This is the sort of match any aspiring team ought to win.

Am I the only one to think this could turn out to be a very long season? :(

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well that was pretty dreadful wasn’t it. We were so poor we allowed a bang average side to get the 3 points.
We had an ok spell in the first half but surprise surprise, no effort on target. Second half
More of the same. Huffing and puffing and lots of the ball in the final third but no end product. A terrible error by Clarke for their goal but if that chance had been given to us we would Have spurned it. We looked devoid of confidence in the final third often trying to walk it in.

big question marks about the recruitment: Maynard, glatzel, Walker, Duffy, Watson, Mani, Mcmamanan, nevitt - none have been good enough, often enough. We’ve seen glimpses but not enough. Morris and Feeney both trying their best but again not good enough (although the latter put some decent balls in the box first half but again, no one on the end of them). Very poor and we’re dropping down the table. Teams know they only need one goal Against us and it’ll be enough.
Micky has a lot of credit in the bank but if those performances and results carry on like that (no entertainment), It could Be a long winter