• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Friendly Rovers V Rangers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting that all our shopping lists are fairly similar. Striker, pacy winger, defensive cover and I’d be particularly looking at central defence given the injury histories there. Is Hayde who can play full-back ready to play in the first team if needed? It wasn’t clear whether Merrie was an attacking/defensive midfielder though the match reports suggest more of the former.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I wouldn't guarantee either would get out The Championship.
I think Defoe et al will be on a fortune without being significantly better than some of our L1/L2 players.
Rangers still looked a decent side, probably of the standard of the bottom half of the Premier League. Defoe looked sharp as well and is certainly better than League Two standard.

My original point was more that Rangers and Celtic face virtually no competition on a weekly basis, due to the weakness of the rest of the League.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting that all our shopping lists are fairly similar. Striker, pacy winger, defensive cover and I’d be particularly looking at central defence given the injury histories there. Is Hayde who can play full-back ready to play in the first team if needed? It wasn’t clear whether Merrie was an attacking/defensive midfielder though the match reports suggest more of the former.
Regarding Merrie, it is difficult to tell his best position on yesterday's performance. He played deep with Spearing, probably due to the strength of the opposition, but took all the set plays, and looked decent on the ball.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Much may depend on Khan staying as if he did, he can cover at RB and on the wing although he’s not the quickest and I’m still not convinced about him at rb

Player
Manager
John King
Much may depend on Khan staying as if he did, he can cover at RB and on the wing although he’s not the quickest and I’m still not convinced about him at rb
My one concern with that would be the lack of pace in the side. I think we do need a wide man who is quicker than those we have at the moment, having lost both Woolery and CBT. I suppose it depends how much room there is left in the budget.

ADD

Player
Norwood
One thing that confused me yesterday. I thought Glatzel was an out and out striker but he was far from playing that yesterday? Is that something Liverpool will be happy with do people think?

Player
Manager
John King
One thing that confused me yesterday. I thought Glatzel was an out and out striker but he was far from playing that yesterday? Is that something Liverpool will be happy with do people think?
I think he was just played out of position because of the strength of the opposition and the 451 / 4411 formation we were using. I am sure he will play up front in League games.

drwhoman

I wouldn't guarantee either would get out The Championship.
I think Defoe et al will be on a fortune without being significantly better than some of our L1/L2 players.
Generally I agree with you but Defoe was a pretty sharp striker is his prime and a definite step up from Nugent! How many England caps did he have? A fair few. Anyway, as I say, I agree with the general sentiment. Scottish football got many of it best players from the mines and shipyards that have now gone. I think the Liverpool team has been full of Scots at times in the past. Sad really.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Generally I agree with you but Defoe was a pretty sharp striker is his prime and a definite step up from Nugent! How many England caps did he have? A fair few. Anyway, as I say, I agree with the general sentiment. Scottish football got many of it best players from the mines and shipyards that have now gone. I think the Liverpool team has been full of Scots at times in the past. Sad really.
I would think at least 30 England caps Defoe, there are a few good Scottish players currently Robertson and Tierney are class but in general they have been in decline for years

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rangers still looked a decent side, probably of the standard of the bottom half of the Premier League. Defoe looked sharp as well and is certainly better than League Two standard.

My original point was more that Rangers and Celtic face virtually no competition on a weekly basis, due to the weakness of the rest of the League.
A lot is talked about whether the Old Firm would survive in the EPL. Of course they would. Every English team with their size of fan base has little problem in staying up. If they got accepted, they would immediately have the money needed to strengthen their squad. That’s what all the clubs promoted from the Championship do.

However, I doubt whether many other SPL sides would. I remember when Pat Nevin was released by Rovers when we were in the English second tier, he went straight into Motherwell’s side and continued playing for Scotland. I would expect most clubs in their bottom two divisions to be National League standard at best.

drwhoman

A lot is talked about whether the Old Firm would survive in the EPL. Of course they would. Every English team with their size of fan base has little problem in staying up. If they got accepted, they would immediately have the money needed to strengthen their squad. That’s what all the clubs promoted from the Championship do.

However, I doubt whether many other SPL sides would. I remember when Pat Nevin was released by Rovers when we were in the English second tier, he went straight into Motherwell’s side and continued playing for Scotland. I would expect most clubs in their bottom two divisions to be National League standard at best.
I agree BBTC. I wonder how Dundee Utd will get on with their new Manager from the Scottish fifth tier? The appointment looks a bit like who you know! Time will tell!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It would be interesting to ask Micky how many SPL sides would survive in League Two!

I remember Tremarco, Raven and OFW later playing in the SPL for Inverness CT and getting into Europe! I think the Scottish leagues cover everything from mid EPL down to National League North!

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
I am from Scotland and these assessments are pretty much on the mark. My hometown team plays in the 2nd tier up there and I don't reckon the standard of that league is better than National League. Rangers and Celtic would be lower English prem with the rest of SPL in English leagues 1 & 2. Micky's views of the different standard would be very interesting!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am from Scotland and these assessments are pretty much on the mark. My hometown team plays in the 2nd tier up there and I don't reckon the standard of that league is better than National League. Rangers and Celtic would be lower English prem with the rest of SPL in English leagues 1 & 2. Micky's views of the different standard would be very interesting!
Thanks for your views. BTW, which is your Scottish team?

Player
Manager
John King
The first team squad are away at a training camp, so I doubt even the first and second year professionals will play.