• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Friendly Rovers V Rangers

drwhoman

While Rangers looked a reasonable side, the standard of that league can not be great.
Fair comment RLC. When you see some English Championship and L1 and L2 players going well in the Scottish Premier League it tells you something. Rangers are obviously the best at present but this is pre-season which, as you know, does not count for much in the longer term! Encouraging from Rovers all the same.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
While Rangers looked a reasonable side, the standard of that league can not be great.
Not a great standard when you see level of players playing their trade up there. Albeit the Rangers wage bill compared to ours would be interesting for a relatively low increase in terms of class.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Micky’s post-match interview was easily the most interesting and animated I’ve ever heard from him. He has hit the ground running and is determined to do everything he can to succeed. If he can get the extra players he wants, we could have a great season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I haven’t seen the Micky interview, but it’s interesting that he’s come out so forcefully about the need for additional funding. However encouraging that he’s had an impact already and some squad players are in contention for a starting place on today’s showing.

drwhoman

Who knows. He might feel that going to Scotland was a mistake and that it did not work out well for him, Jacko and Rovers. A point to prove maybe which could result in a very positive outcome!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure he would view it as a mistake. I think it was an opportunity he could not turn down, and he has described his twelve months up there as a great experience, however short lived.

Player
Manager
John King
I think there is a certain amount of kidology in Micky's interview. The squad looks pretty strong as it stands, both in numbers and quality, and we must already have pushed the boat out financially for players like McManaman. However, I think he is nudging MP to get a deal over the line for the experienced striker that will complete the picture.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The squad is down on numbers, there were on the 2 c mcs not playing yesterday which meant a number of youngsters on the bench. But don't forget in general Micky likes a big squad so would say something similar even if numbers were higher

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not a great standard when you see level of players playing their trade up there. Albeit the Rangers wage bill compared to ours would be interesting for a relatively low increase in terms of class.
I’ve never thought much of the Scottish league. All those people who used to say Celtic or rangers could finish in the premier league top six need heir heads testing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There is just no competition. You’ve got two big clubs and that’s it. Rangers front line includes of a 38-year old ex prem footballer.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I’ve never thought much of the Scottish league. All those people who used to say Celtic or rangers could finish in the premier league top six need heir heads testing.
They wouldn't be that high up but with the massive increase in TV money and extra finances they would probably be fairly competitive

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There is just no competition. You’ve got two big clubs and that’s it. Rangers front line includes of a 38-year old ex prem footballer.
Hes not first choice striker

Player
Manager
John King
The squad is down on numbers, there were on the 2 c mcs not playing yesterday which meant a number of youngsters on the bench. But don't forget in general Micky likes a big squad so would say something similar even if numbers were higher
How many players do you think we still need ? I would say another forward, a wide man with a bit of pace and possibly some cover at the back. However, as you say, Micky likes a big squad so may want more competition elsewhere.

I still think he must be happier with the quality and number of players brought in than he suggested yesterday, considering we were rebuilding from scratch. All managers want more from their Chairman.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
How many players do you think we still need ? I would say another forward, a wide man with a bit of pace and possibly some cover at the back. However, as you say, Micky likes a big squad so may want more competition elsewhere.

I still think he must be happier with the quality and number of players brought in than he suggested yesterday, considering we were rebuilding from scratch. All managers want more from their Chairman.
I think striker, at least 1 winger, 1 central midfielder, 1 centre half and another right back so minimum of 5.

Player
Manager
John King
I think we might bring in one player who can add cover at both centre back and right back. I think Maguire might also be able to play across the back.

We possibly do need a defensive midfielder to cover Spearing as well.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I expect in those numbers bexa loan signing or 2

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I wouldn't guarantee either would get out The Championship.
I think Defoe et al will be on a fortune without being significantly better than some of our L1/L2 players.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I was one of those who paid iFollow but had no picture or sound until about 15 minutes from the end. So, how many shots did Tranmere have during the game? Who of the new forwards looked promising?