• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Friendly Rovers V Rangers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Strong Rangers side featuring Defoe, Roofe, Lundstram and Tavernier among others.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Macdonald must be injured as not involved at all.

ADD

Player
Norwood
No commentary despite club stating there would be during the week.......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Cracking strike from Morris too!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
1 of the trialists was nivin bingaraname if that's how you spell it released by wigan brother at Everton

Player
Manager
John King
Well, that was highly impressive and very enjoyable.

As expected, Rangers dominated the ball for long periods, but we kept our defensive shape really well and always looked a threat on the counter attack. The organisation and work ethic was very good considering how early we are in pre-season.

Of the new recruits, Knight-Percival and Davies were very solid, reading the game well and winning most of the aerial battles. Cogley gets forward well and has good distribution. However, the real surprise to me was Mani, who led the line very well against experienced centre halves and also has a nice touch. Glatzel and Merrie also looked decent, and it was interesting that the latter took the set pieces in the first half.

It is an incredible result when you consider that Rangers played their full first team and changed all ten outfield players at half time, whereas we had youngsters on the pitch at the end.

Micky is back. :)

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Nevitt looked quite handy in the second half as well; as with Mani, better than I expected.

Morris and Feeney also looked much sharper than in the closing months of last season.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Quite enjoyable, more team work than most of last season together.
Hope it's not pre season players trying to convince the gaffer that is what to expect.

Number of Scots in and around the ground, surprised me! Now I know the pandemic is over!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the reports. Camping in north Wales so couldn’t make it but some of the new recruits sound promising

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky mentions several times post match that we need more bodies in

Player
Manager
John King
Micky mentions several times post match that we need more bodies in
Yes, interesting comments. He is obviously frustrated that we missed out on McAleny and others and is putting pressure on MP to get the McNulty deal over the line.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes, interesting comments. He is obviously frustrated that we missed out on McAleny and others and is putting pressure on MP to get the McNulty deal over the line.
Indeed very interesting comments about being more aggressive to get deals done

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Apparently the other trialist was max sheaf defensive midfielder released by Hull played loan at Cheltenham couple seasons ago

ADD

Player
Norwood
I appreciate that MM is making a point to the fans that MP needs to open the purse strings to bring in more players but even so saying "we only have 12 players" is an interesting man management style!
Interesting that he mentioned he has bought a house on the Wirral which shows the commitment he has made.
As to the performance thought we played very well considering this was our first game. Clearly Rangers were always going to have the majority of posession but all the players gave it a good go and all looked reasonably fit whilst to me nobody seemed out of place. Thought both of the new CB's did well as did Cogley. Nevitt and Mani also. Nice to see Stratullis and Fisher especially get minutes also - know nothing about either of them TBH. Good for them. Looks like Burton is way down the pecking order but early days I guess.
So much better start to this year's preseason thankfully compared to last which was a shambles! Feel pretty positive after that display.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Jermaine Defoe probably made Clarke look young out there! I didn't realise he was still playing.