• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Mariners

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Grimsby

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Mariners
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 22, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 22, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
I don't agree about Turnbull. He made several vital interceptions and won a number of important headers today.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the only two games we have won under Dawes were against the two sides with nothing to play for. I personally did not see any difference in the quality of the football today and many games under Mellon.
I agree with this. Several players had decent games today and Turnbull was one of them. Didn't seem to me to be disinterested. Bristow had a poor game today but it wasn't through lack of effort

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I noticed watching the Wrexham game that, despite the incessant singing, there was not anything like the same release of passion and relief when the goals went in as there was in our final against Boreham Wood.

The difference being they have effectively bought the league and 60-70% of the crowd at the Racecourse today were not even attending games prior to the last two years. The fifteen years Wrexham spent in the wilderness would not really register with most of them.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Quite enjoyed that today, probably because we scored a few goals and kept a clean sheet. We did have some dodgy moments at the back but survived and Hewelt made some good saves to keep the visitors out. Saunders seems to have gained some confidence after his recent goals and is more influential in games. Whether he and Hemmings can form a good partnership and get us the goals we need next season, I am not sure.

Ref seemed to bottle the second penalty which was a shame as it looked nailed on and another goal would have been great. Hughes was excellent today and showed his excellent skills at set pieces and possesion on the ball. He could be a really good player. I thought the attendance was really good too considering it was a nothing game. I think there were around 5k Rovers fans.

Hopefully we can finish the season with another few wins and then get preparing for next season with the new manager.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
The Wrexham players get 250k each bonus for going up that's crazy but fair Plas y to the Americans

drwhoman

Totally inevitable. However, whilst no one would want one of our main rivals to do well, I'd much rather be playing them than Woking, Barnet, Bromley or Boreham Wood next season.
I have to laugh. The media are talking about Hollywood stardust when it is fact about money. I imagine they will have a big budget next season!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Any neutral would have to be pleased to see the world’s third oldest professional football club back where they belong, even if it may be at the expense of the world’s oldest pro club. It’s just a shame their success has been bought and not earned the same way our promotion was. Can you imagine how difficult it would have been for us to get out of the National League this season with our present finances?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Totally inevitable. However, whilst no one would want one of our main rivals to do well, I'd much rather be playing them than Woking, Barnet, Bromley or Boreham Wood next season.
I’d much rather be playing Notts County or Chesterfield tbh. Though it wouldn’t be a total surprise if the Magpies screwed up after just missing out on the automatic spot.

Really hope Boreham Wood don’t go up, horrible club. If it has to be a southern club I’d prefer Woking though never seen Rovers play Barnet.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yes, I think he is our best midfielder. The only one of the loan players I would want to keep.
If Newcastle offered to loan us Turnee-Cooke for next season, would you take him?
He plays best in a more central role, but there were some bright spells yesterday.

Player
Manager
John King
If Newcastle offered to loan us Turnee-Cooke for next season, would you take him?
He plays best in a more central role, but there were some bright spells yesterday.
Probably, but it would depend what system we play next season. I don't think Turner Cooke can really play in a 442.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
I thought the attendance was really good too considering it was a nothing game. I think there were around 5k Rovers fans.
I don't think there were 5,000 Tranmere fans actually in the ground at either of the last two home games. A lot of gaps in all parts of the ground and clearly a lot of season ticket holders are staying away at the moment.

I know I argued previously that only supporters present are included in the attendance (!), but I don't think that is the case anymore. Under the old cash system the number of clicks on the turnstile was used to determine the gate, but since the introduction of the electronic ticketing system I think the attendance must be the number of tickets sold.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Recall some comment on this at one point. Think they have to record the number actually inside the ground for fire regulations. Though don’t suppose that stops the tickets sold being included as the official attendance.

I wasn’t at either Micky’s last home game or Dawes first match as caretaker. The two I have attended have both had season ticket holders missing and significant gaps in the stadium. It didn’t feel like the figure quoted as attending.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The two I have attended have both had season ticket holders missing and significant gaps in the stadium. It didn’t feel like the figure quoted as attending.
Yeah, thinking about it, when i looked around there were quite a few regular season ticket supporters not there yesterday.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I don't think there were 5,000 Tranmere fans actually in the ground at either of the last two home games. A lot of gaps in all parts of the ground and clearly a lot of season ticket holders are staying away at the moment.

I know I argued previously that only supporters present are included in the attendance (!), but I don't think that is the case anymore. Under the old cash system the number of clicks on the turnstile was used to determine the gate, but since the introduction of the electronic ticketing system I think the attendance must be the number of tickets sold.
I hate saying it, but, I ..............!
Tickets sold for VAT purposes which includes season tickets.
I think looking at the highlights , that the ground was about less than a third full bar the cowsheds, and the lower kop looked very sparse for a league game. So around 3500 + away supporters. And I being generous.!!!!

Player
Manager
John King
I hate saying it, but, I ..............!
Tickets sold for VAT purposes which includes season tickets.
I think looking at the highlights , that the ground was about less than a third full bar the cowsheds, and the lower kop looked very sparse for a league game. So around 3500 + away supporters. And I being generous.!!!!
Prior to the electronic ticketing it was definitely the number of clicks on the turnstile. It also has nothing to do with VAT rules.

I doubt the Kop was even one third full yesterday.

Last edited: