• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Mariners

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Grimsby

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Mariners
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 22, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 22, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great work by Saunders to win a free kick which hughes puts in the top corner. 2-0

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hawkes putting a few grand on his transfer valuation

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Won 2 0 we played some good stuff at times, really could do with getting the manager sorted ASAP.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A decent performance and a deserved victory for Rovers.

I thought the first half was a typical low key, end of season affair. Some of our approach play was ok, but there was very little threat in the eighteen yard box. That changed with the one bit of quality in the final third that we produced: nice link up play between Hemmings and Saunders, and a very cool finish from the spot by Hawkes, who has had a superb season.

The timing of the second goal was crucial and seemed to settle us as a team, and from that point on we played some good football and created further opportunities. It was a brilliant free kick by Hughes, who is a technician of real promise.

I think the main sponsor must have spent the afternoon on the ale, given their selection of Hewelt as man of the match. Yes, he made a couple of decent saves, but I thought Saunders was clearly our best player. His energy and workrate is infectious and he played a part in both goals.

Everton are back in the relegation zone, so it was a good afternoon all round.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Agreed Bigmart some of the play in the second half was more than decent and I enjoyed watching it. Hewelt however had to make a number of good saves. Think he is actually a good shot stopper (certainly better than Doohan) but simply has no command of the area, punches when he should catch and worse is often betwixt and between coming for things or staying on his line.
Hemmings looked fit and more importantly interested so maybe he knows who the new manager is and is positive about it? Let's hope so! Saunders and Hawkes also both did well. Irrespective of what happens to Dawes the players today excepting Turnbull who again looked disinterested IMO showed a good attitude today. Also the play was far more on the floor with Dawes clearly having adapted so we don't play everything from the back but we still look to play it around. Incidentally I thought Burton did well when he came on. He will never win balls in the air but created a decent chance for Saunders and was in acres of space when not passed to also.
Alan Nixon apparently has something on us tomorrow incidentally.

Player
Manager
John King
Irrespective of what happens to Dawes the players today excepting Turnbull who again looked disinterested IMO showed a good attitude today.
I don't agree about Turnbull. He made several vital interceptions and won a number of important headers today.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the only two games we have won under Dawes were against the two sides with nothing to play for. I personally did not see any difference in the quality of the football today and many games under Mellon.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A decent win in the end after an improved second half performance. First half we looked a bit unsure of our formation and they caused us problems down our left where Bristow was overloaded more than once.

We got the goal when Saunders cleverly got his body in front of the defender and waited for the contact. Hawkes once again tucked away a spot kick.

Second half much better with hawkes giving Bristow some support. Saunders won a free kick which hughes curled in. Great technique from young Rhys. Hawkes was twice denied by their keeper but at the other end hewlet made a couple of good saves. We really need to keep hawkes next season if we can, unless we get an offer we can’t refuse

Overall I think we deserved it based on the second half performance. Saunders showed what he is about although probably with finishing too. He missed a good chance from a Burton pull back and an awful miss late on albeit the linesman’s flag saved his embarrassment.

Hewlet and the back four were good and we really need to tie Davies down to a new contract. Hawkes looked dangerous and hendry played well. Saunders MOM for me for winning the penalty and free kick. A goal in open play would be nice but a win is a win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought turnbull had a decent game. Contributed to a clean sheet. Yes Grimsby had very little up top but I’d have given him a 7/10

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought it was a game of 2 halves. Grimsby well on top in the first half until the penalty, Rovers much improved after the break though an early quality finish from Hughes’ free-kick settled the nerves.
Thought we should have had a second penalty, seemed pmore clearcut than the first when Saunders was chopped down.

Agree that Saunders MoM think one of the sponsors got it right. Hewelt kept us in it, JDC had his best game in ages, both centre-backs fine. Further forward Hawkes did well, Hemmings worked hard but doesn’t function as a lone striker and quite a decent cameo from Burton when he came on, wonder if new deal still under consideration for him. By contrast Mumbongo wasn’t given an outing when Hemmings came off.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Hoti also played a couple of nice passes when he came on. However, I doubt either he or Burton will be here next season.

I agree with Boz about the second penalty. It looked a stonewaller and it was bizarre that it was not given.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought it was a game of 2 halves. Grimsby well on top in the first half until the penalty, Rovers much improved after the break though an early quality finish from Hughes’ free-kick settled the nerves.
Thought we should have had a second penalty, seemed pmore clearcut than the first when Saunders was chopped down.

Agree that Saunders MoM think one of the sponsors got it right. Hewelt kept us in it, JDC had his best game in ages, both centre-backs fine. Further forward Hawkes did well, Hemmings worked hard but doesn’t function as a lone striker and quite a decent cameo from Burton when he came on, wonder if new deal still under consideration for him. By contrast Mumbongo wasn’t given an outing when Hemmings came off.
Yes I agree it was a penalty but no surprise it wasn’t given as we’d already had one. Also agree JDC seemed back on it today.

Hoti did ok to be fair. Neat and tidy but won’t be upset if he departs along with a lot of the dead wood.

Re Hemmings. No shortage of effort but he just doesn’t look like scoring. It may be down to our style of play but I’m hoping next season we’ll have better competition in the striker areas, budget permitting

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
Re Hemmings. No shortage of effort but he just doesn’t look like scoring. It may be down to our style of play but I’m hoping next season we’ll have better competition in the striker areas, budget permitting
I thought Hemmings' link up play was good today, and at Crawley last week. There is potential in the partnership between Hemmings and Saunders but, as you say, we need far better alternative options up front.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought Hemmings' link up play was good today, and at Crawley last week. There is potential in the partnership between Hemmings and Saunders but, as you say, we need far better alternative options up front.
Yes they are showing signs to be fair and with more games will hopefully improve. I’m just not sure either will score a lot of goals but time will tell. Another reason possibly why we need to keep hawkes if our strikers aren’t scoring many.

I’d like to keep hendry if we can. I’m guessing he’ll be out of favour at FGR

Player
Manager
John King
I’d like to keep hendry if we can. I’m guessing he’ll be out of favour at FGR
Yes, I think he is our best midfielder. The only one of the loan players I would want to keep.

Interestingly, Wimbledon are in freefall and were thrashed at home today, so an opportunity for an away win next week to cement a top-half finish.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
A decent performance and a deserved victory for Rovers.

I thought the first half was a typical low key, end of season affair. Some of our approach play was ok, but there was very little threat in the eighteen yard box. That changed with the one bit of quality in the final third that we produced: nice link up play between Hemmings and Saunders, and a very cool finish from the spot by Hawkes, who has had a superb season.

The timing of the second goal was crucial and seemed to settle us as a team, and from that point on we played some good football and created further opportunities. It was a brilliant free kick by Hughes, who is a technician of real promise.

I think the main sponsor must have spent the afternoon on the ale, given their selection of Hewelt as man of the match. Yes, he made a couple of decent saves, but I thought Saunders was clearly our best player. His energy and workrate is infectious and he played a part in both goals.

Everton are back in the relegation zone, so it was a good afternoon all round.
+1 apart from the Everton bit; my eldest son’s an Evertonian and I’ve got to live with the current misery!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Not much to add about the game, the penalty settled us and a decent free kick. Just shows how bad this division is.

I have also heard about news doing the rounds about investment.
Which would also be part of appointing a new manager.

Other than that is anyone's guess!
I believe everyone knows it is at last, the end of season, so any decisions, will be made before Northampton, I hope!
The players will be away after that!