• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Mariners

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Grimsby

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Mariners
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 22, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 22, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Our penultimate home game of the season sees the visit of Grimsby Town to PP. A bit like ourselves the visitors have very little to play for although that said, having been promoted from the national league last season a top 10 finish would be a real success. Grimsby sit 12th in the league, one place above us, but only 2 points off 10th. So whilst both sides are in similar league positions, I suspect the feeling around both clubs couldn’t be any different. Grimsby will have enjoyed their return to the EFL, coupled with a good FA Cup run. Rovers meanwhile couldn’t be any different with a tepid season overall and some disappointing performances of late. Ex rovers Otis Khan and Grimsby captain Luke Waterfall should feature and the visitors have a decent away record this season including 9 wins and 3 draws from 21 games.

Assuming there is no managerial announcement for rovers it’ll be the same again as Rochdale. With no one returning from injury and the options fairly limited, it may well be the same starting eleven as at Spotland. That in itself is questionable given the way the match panned out but hopefully the fact that we’re at home means the players will be more focussed and motivated than recent away games.

Prediction: as ever the first goal will be key. If the visitors get it then the cumulative effect of recent results and the general SWA frustration, could see the atmosphere turn toxic. If we score first then we are capable of picking up three points. A top 10 finish is still not beyond us so there is something to aim for, even if it isn’t what we all wanted for the season.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'm not expecting much on Saturday, so anything more than a close, low scoring match will be a bonus. We live in hope! If we lose narrowly I would anticipate an overall feeling of apathy and resignation rather than toxicity, but may be wrong. Providing the players put in the effort, I'm not really sure to whom any anger would be directed. Dawes is only a stand-in and there would surely only be a "special" minority who could wish that MP and NP walk away. Let's hope that our enthusiasm is rekindled by the appointment of a new manager prior to the last home match on 8th May.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I'm going for a draw 1 1 they have sold 400 tickets which for a game of no importance is s decent effort

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Another draw for me!
Hope with the good atmosphere from the grim supporters. It will make a better game!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The club media reminds us of better days with the 5-0 win over Grimsby to end the Dawes/Parky first stint as caretakers and form a back cloth for Keith Hill to take the helm. Still wonder if we'd have fared better with sticking with the caretakers then. Things have been much less rosy this time around. Expecting either to lose or scrape a draw. Perhaps worth giving Hoti and Taylor a start in a relatively meaningless game where we can afford to experiment,

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The club media reminds us of better days with the 5-0 win over Grimsby to end the Dawes/Parky first stint as caretakers and form a back cloth for Keith Hill to take the helm. Still wonder if we'd have fared better with sticking with the caretakers then.
I don't think so. They would have had exactly the same problems as Hill once Vaughan got injured.

Hill was not the right fit for the club but he was a reasonable manager. His win percentage was very good, and the football was good for periods as well.

drwhoman

I don't think so. They would have had exactly the same problems as Hill once Vaughan got injured.

Hill was not the right fit for the club but he was a reasonable manager. His win percentage was very good, and the football was good for periods as well.
I agree RLC. On a different subject, I see that an Everton team with with eight first team players lost 1-0 to Chester the other day! They are in deep proverbial. If they are relegated and with that new stadium still to fund....

Player
Manager
John King
If we are to finish in the top half of the table I think we have to win this game, given our away record and with Northampton to come on the final day.

I would imagine we will be unchanged from Tuesday night, as there are not many realistic alternatives at the moment.

I will be there, but it is difficult to generate much enthusiasm for the matches at the moment.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If we are to finish in the top half of the table I think we have to win this game, given our away record and with Northampton to come on the final day.

I would imagine we will be unchanged from Tuesday night, as there are not many realistic alternatives at the moment.

I will be there, but it is difficult to generate much enthusiasm for the matches at the moment.
Assuming Northampton still have something to play for on the final game, we have to pay our strongest team for that one. I'm unsure that there's more value finishing in the top half or giving some of the fringe players ~ was thinking Hoti and Taylor especially, an extended run out in a competitive game to assess if they could be worth a new deal.

Player
Manager
John King
Assuming Northampton still have something to play for on the final game, we have to pay our strongest team for that one. I'm unsure that there's more value finishing in the top half or giving some of the fringe players ~ was thinking Hoti and Taylor especially, an extended run out in a competitive game to assess if they could be worth a new deal.
I am not sure either Taylor or Hoti have shown enough in their cameos to suggest they should be starting.

Taylor probably won't make it. None of our home products have in the last decade, as our academy is closed due to EPP and the majority, if not all, of our youth products are not of the required standard.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am not sure either Taylor or Hoti have shown enough in their cameos to suggest they should be starting.

Taylor probably won't make it. None of our home products have in the last decade, as our academy is closed due to EPP and the majority, if not all, of our youth products are not of the required standard.
You’re probably right. The little I’ve seen of Hoti, his short-passing game seemed ok, but anything more ambitious didn’t come off. Taylor haven’t seen enough of to form an opinion. Don’t think it would hurt to give them a reasonable chunk of time in a meaningless game to show what they can do, but won’t lose any sleep if we don’t.

Player
Manager
John King
You’re probably right. The little I’ve seen of Hoti, his short-passing game seemed ok, but anything more ambitious didn’t come off. Taylor haven’t seen enough of to form an opinion. Don’t think it would hurt to give them a reasonable chunk of time in a meaningless game to show what they can do, but won’t lose any sleep if we don’t.
Yes, nothing against Taylor and it would not hurt to give him a run out. However, I don't have any hope these days that our home produced youngsters will be good enough.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unchanged starting xi with same 5 on the bench from Rochdale. Ground very empty forty minutes from ko.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Anybody know who the other keeper doing warm ups was

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hawkes penalty gives us the lead not long after decent save hy Hewelt

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hawkes penalty gives us the lead after Saunders was fouled although Harvey knew what he was doing.
Slightly against the run of play I’d say as Grimsby are getting in down our left a fair bit

10th league goal of the season for Josh

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Grimsby were well on top most of that half.
Was the penalty a little generous? Almost no Rovers goal efforts that apart. Hemmings very isolated up front and need to adjust. I’d be surprised if we can win this without a great deal of luck or some tactical adjustments.