• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Mansfield

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Mansfield

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Mansfield
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, March 11, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, March 11, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
let us just do this I would say its the biggest game of the season, our form is piss poor and we have dropped down the LG we need a big strong team show but what team will turn up if we don,t show up it could be a bad night,my heart says we will win 1-0 but get a feeling another big loss could be on the cards

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The trouble is, AM, this is about the sixth “biggest game of the season” so far this year and I think we have lost most of them. We are going to have to win the next three or four if we are serious about going up.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Its 5th v 6th on Friday night and with our recent poor results, surely under the lights at PP is an opportunity to turn things around. With Harrogate visiting PP next Tuesday night 4 points out of 6 would keep us in the mix. Whereas our own form has been poor of late, the Stags have been in excellent overall form, unbeaten in their last 14 games. Despite already having a strong squad with the likes of Rhys Oates, Danny Johnson and Ollie Hawkins, they invested heavily in January bringing in the likes of Jamie Murphy from Hibs and most notably Matty Longstaff from Newcastle and ex rover Lucas Akins. The latter along with his ex Burton Manager Nigel Clough have plenty of promotion experience from this level.

Confidence could be a massive factor in this game. With their impressive 2-1 win v Exeter on Saturday the stags equalled a club record of 10 successive home wins. Contrast with rovers whose confidence must be at very low levels. I really fear that if we concede first on Friday, especially early, the atmosphere could be really toxic and it could be a long night. However let's be optimistic – our own home record is one of the best in the division and surely we are due a clean sheet soon. The visitors last 3 away games have shown that to win this we’ll need to be at our best – they won at Bradford and drew at both Newport and in form Bristol Rovers. A defeat for us and wins at the weekend for Swindon and Exeter will see us drop out of the top 7 and we may not get back there.

How Micky sets us up this remains to be seen especially after the bizarre team changes that didn’t work at Northampton. If Glatzel is fit then expect him to start alongside Kane so we may stick with the 4-4-2, even though I would be tempted to play 4-2-3-1. If 4-4-2 then I’d expect O’Connor and Warrington plus 2 out of Hawkes, McPake and Morris on the wings. Surely Davies will come in for NKP who really shouldn’t play for us again unless we are desperate. Hopefully McDonald will return too.

Prediction: I expect a reaction and we’ll start the game on the front foot (hopefully not lumping it forward). If we can score first then who knows, but if they score first, it could be another poor result with more goals conceded. Lets hope not.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Will have to pick up points from these home games. I suspect we will start the game quite well looking for an early goal but with confidence fragile, one small knock could swing it for the opposition. They are in pretty good form so it'll be a tough game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can't see us winning this game, do well get a draw

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I won't be there on Friday night as I am on holiday, the first game I have missed home or away for about five years, and I am hoping my absence brings us some luck.

I agree with Sparky that the first goal will be crucial, as confidence levels must be at rock bottom at the moment. I think that is reflected in recent performances, where we have looked anxious and stifled with the game at nil nil, and only relaxed and played some football when we were behind and some of the pressure was lifted.

We looked good in the second half at Northampton with McPake, Hawkes, Morris and Glatzel all on the pitch, but it is difficult to fit all of them into a system while remaining solid defensively. I think Hemmings and Glatzel really need to operate as a pair and that limits our choices. I agree that Davies and MacDonald will return to the side, and whatever system Mellon goes with I think McPake will play, as he was our best player last Saturday.

Mansfield's incredible run began with a victory against Rovers, so let's hope we can end it on Friday night. We have not beaten them since returning to the Football League, and there could not be a better time to change that record.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
All I can say, RLC, is that it must be the holiday of a lifetime for you to miss your first game in five years. ;) Seriously, after the last three seasons’ despair, I think you are due a well earned break.

We have a habit this season of re-energising other teams’ seasons. It’s about time someone returned the favour. Who better to do it than Mansfield? More in hope than judgement, I’ve just cast my vote for a home win.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
In the past few weeks we have been involved in 1st v 2nd, 2nd v 3rd and now 5th v 6th. Really hoping to avoid 9th v 10th!
Looks like Friday will be 6th v 7th!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Let the battle commence!

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Yep, it could be worse. At least we’re still involved in games with high stakes. Roll on Friday, surely we’re due a big win……..but then again.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
its just hard watching this dross at the moment,when you see some of the players saying some need to pull there fingers out and this and that and the mood in the dressing room is rubbish,it don,t fill with confodence

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Taking my son for his first visit in years; he's not a sports fan at all but is reasonably sympathetic to my plight. I'm going to approach it on the basis that we are expected to lose - which is probably the truth. If we win I can declare him a lucky mascot. He's remarkably aware of TRFC's history (thanks to the Ballad Of Tranmere Rovers and @bring back the cowshed! ) but I'm going to have to bring him up to speed from the end of the song through until today - we may need to be arriving early!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our recent home record against Mansfield has been draws, unsure we've beaten them since the replayed game after that bloke got onto the Cowshed roof? Contrasting form of the two sides makes this look a very difficult fixture indeed and I'm inclined to think that a draw wouldn't be a bad result to break the slump, if it's followed up by some wins. However because of our recent dismal away run 1 point may not be enough and we really need to be winning it.

Haven't a clue how Micky will set us up for this one, but not convinced his changes for Northampton worked out at all. I would look at a number of further changes;
Firstly put Murphy back into goal for this game. We cannot afford to lose this match, Doohan's confidence looked shot last weekend and while he was only at fault for the second goal, he is just not assertive enough in his box and his failure to improve his distribution is a weakness. However MM can see no wrong and it would be a surprise.
It didn't look like NKP improved the defence as a left-sided back 3 player, Davies was below par the previous week and Cogley is better deployed as a full-back/wing-back. We are suffering from a lack of options in central defence, which weren't addressed in the January window, as Clarke looks in need of a rest too.
Further up the park, Mcmanaman may be good in training, but as others have remarked, a real disappointment out on the park. My preference would be starting both Hawkes and McPake, while hopefully Glatzel will be fit enough to start.

Another game I'll be missing as can't get the time off work. Hoping those who make it come away happy.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree that NKP should be dropped and MacManaman should be nowhere near the first eleven, but I think Doohan is becoming a convenient scapegoat. He was poor last week, but kept us in the game at Newport the previous week with some superb saves. If we dropped every player who has underperformed during this poor run, there would not be many left to choose from.

I think Doohan is a talented keeper and has had a very good season on the whole. His handling, positioning and reading of the flight of the ball on crosses is usually very good. I am unsure that bringing back a forty year old keeper who is looking forward to hanging up his boots in a few weeks is the right move at this stage.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that NKP should be dropped and MacManaman should be nowhere near the first eleven, but I think Doohan is becoming a convenient scapegoat. He was poor last week, but kept us in the game at Newport the previous week with some superb saves. If we dropped every player who has underperformed during this poor run, there would not be many left to choose from.

I think Doohan is a talented keeper and has had a very good season on the whole. His handling, positioning and reading of the flight of the ball on crosses is usually very good. I am unsure that bringing back a forty year old keeper who is looking forward to hanging up his boots in a few weeks is the right move at this stage.
Other players were scapegoated by Micky for their below par showings in the Newport game though. I’d agree that Murphy is not a long-term solution but could function as part of a re-set for the next game or two. Look back to the start of the season and Murphy was getting MoM for his saves and general performance helping securing the points
Trying to think of any MoM showings from Doohan and I’m struggling. There have been a handful of games where his saves have made the difference like Orient at home. It’s all academic anyway as Micky treats him as undroppable.

Player
Manager
John King
Other players were scapegoated by Micky for their below par showings in the Newport game though. I’d agree that Murphy is not a long-term solution but could function as part of a re-set for the next game or two. Look back to the start of the season and Murphy was getting MoM for his saves and general performance helping securing the points
Trying to think of any MoM showings from Doohan and I’m struggling. There have been a handful of games where his saves have made the difference like Orient at home. It’s all academic anyway as Micky treats him as undroppable.
Doohan was man of the match at Newport, so we don't have to look back that far..... The importance of Murphy was overstated in the opening weeks, as subsequent defensive performances showed. We continued to keep clean sheets with Doohan in goal.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Doohan has done ok but hardly spectacularly. The biggest issue I feel is his terrible distribution which pretty much guarantees him having to punt it upfield which routinely concedes posession. Murphy by contrast always looks for the early ball and allows our FB's to play the ball on the deck and not concede posession. Doohan also does not appear to be vocal and I suspect that is hampering our CB's now we are struggling at the back who aren't sure what is happening behind them.
He also clearly lost all confidence in the Northampton game with an early drop of a simple cross we were lucky to get away with and some terrible clearances. Also at fault for the second. To me Murphy would be a better choice for the run in. The fact he is retiring is irrelevant IMO - we need the best player in every position for the next 11games and I think on balance he is. That said I am with Boz. MM will not drop Doohan.
As to the game itself logically this should be a Mansfield victory given our respective current form so this being Tranmere we are likely to turn it around and I am going for a 2-1 win. Let's hope so!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Doohan looked a bit nervy last week but he’s still a good keeper at this level. I don’t recall a particularly bad game from him apart from last week. I think the players just need to get their heads in gear. We have the same players we had when we were winning so I think they just need to get mentally ready, keep their heads up and start picking up points. A win would do wonders for their confidence. Hopefully we can get that on Fri night.