• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Mansfield

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Mansfield

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Mansfield
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, March 11, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, March 11, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Nigel cloughs post match interview is worth a watch. The most disappointing thing for him was that his side didn’t receive a single yellow card. Plus he names two players at least of his who didn’t tackle.
To be fair he’s quite complementary about us
Yes, he effectively admitted we deserved to win. They should have received at least one booking, not least for some of the treatment that was dished out to McPake.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mcpake is starting to look much fitter now and was dangerous when he drifted inside. Hopefully he’ll have an extra incentive against his old club on Tuesday

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Going briefly off topic, Everton lose one of their 'easier' remaining fixtures against Wolves, while Leeds, Brentford and Watford all won this weekend.

They are in deep trouble.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes, he effectively admitted we deserved to win. They should have received at least one booking, not least for some of the treatment that was dished out to McPake.
I thought Longstaff should have been booked fir diving in the first half, he did it a couple of times trying to get a free kick.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The ref was very reluctant to use cards throughout the game, although I don't think it was a dirty game, just a competitive one.

drwhoman

Going briefly off topic, Everton lose one of their 'easier' remaining fixtures against Wolves, while Leeds, Brentford and Watford all won this weekend.

They are in deep trouble.
I agree. In going for Lampard, Moshiri has gone for another big name albeit as a player. His management experience is limited and certainly in a relegation dogfight. Some might mention his work at Derby but his two standout players there were Chelsea loanees, Mount and Tomori. Do not know if their current financial problems are anything to do with him. Everton are just so reliant on Moshiri and his money and yet as a result he calls the shots. Not a healthy situation at all given his seeming lack of football acumen.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thye have made terrible decisions regarding managers and players and deserve to be where they are. They might escape yet but it does not look good for them.

Moshiri hasn't got a clue. Just another play thing for the rich.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Illuminating interview from Clough. He was quite complementary about us in the pre-match too.

The referee made a rod for his own back, by letting a lot of bad challenges go in the early stages. Micky commented about it in his interview. As well as the one which effectively ended Morris' game, there was one where Longstaff trod on Macdonald, not even given as a foul., Did we get lucky with the no offside calls for Nevitt's goals? Clough seemed to think so, but the other site suggested footage from the opposite end, which I've not seen, but showed a Mansfield lad playing him on.

Interesting that the sponsors went for Clarke as MoM, the other site had Nevitt and Tranmere fans on the official site went with Macdonald. Could make an argument for all of them and one or two others.

Finally, please can someone create an Everton thread to talk about their woes.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Clough's interview was very honest, forthright and perceptive - just like his dad! If his voice was a bit louder and harsher, I'd have thought it actually was Cloughie Senior!

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

Clough's interview was very honest, forthright and perceptive - just like his dad! If his voice was a bit louder and harsher, I'd have thought it actually was Cloughie Senior!
I always liked Nigel when he played. He was a very thoughtful footballer and similarly as a Manager. Brian was always very perceptive albeit louder although I think that alcohol got him in the end. Shame he fell out with Peter Taylor who was always a good foil. Sad that his own career was cut short by injury.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Funny how Clough is perceived differently by a good number of Mansfield fans, commenting that he never takes responsibility when things go pear-shaped and is often “throwing players under the bus”. I thought it was a big tactical error urging his players forward at 2-2 when they could have walked away with a point.
I personally thought the fact that he was adamant both goals were offside, when the evidence suggests otherwise e.g. a deflection off their player, is a sign of arrogance; certainly something that his dad displayed at times.
Standard management practice I guess to give begrudging credit to the opposition then berate your own players/performance, somewhat negating the credit you’ve just dished out to your opponents.
On the subject of Everton, my eldest son’s an Evertonian (look, none of us are perfect parents!) and I won’t be joining in any smugness about their current plight as he’s suffering enough!

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
GTS makes valid points about Nigel Clough, I heard one interview where he suggested his defender didn’t tackle as he was up against an old team mate. While Micky may be critical of players eg McPake in the first half not doing enough, can’t remember any throwing players under the bus in the way Clough junior does.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I always thought Nigel was a decent manager at this level and his success with Burton proves it. He never had instant success and took a while to get Burton moving, but was given time by the owner. The patience shown by the Mansfield hierarchy is being rewarded. However, I can see him losing the dressing room if he's not careful. They have only lost one match since November and would still be unbeaten if he hadn't ordered them forward after the second equaliser.