• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Imps

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Always interesting to come on here and see the different perspectives after a game.

It was a very nervy showing from Rovers today. Could have conceded an early og and Lincoln were the better side in the opening half hour. When Norwood tucked away the penalty after the Imps were reduced to ten men, I hoped we might be able get a grip of the game. Instead, we conceded almost straight away, only to get back in front with a goal which appeared to have some fortune in the build-up, though well-finished by Kirby. Half-time soon after, hoping that Brabin would calm things down, however the second half was mainly Lincoln possession, interpersed with some good Rovers chances when we did get the ball. Mekki came on for Kirby in a like-for-like, but didn't initially change the pattern. Davies made an excellent save from a McNulty miskick, but couldn't keep out a later free-header from the visitors to level. Fenwick replaced GTF, with little immediate impact, but with the clock running down, Mekki ran and shot to grab the Rovers winner. Lincoln had more of the possession and can perhaps feel a bit hard done by, not to get something out of this game, but the result's the thing.

I felt Brabin was right to rest Mekki and bring him on as an impact sub. Whether Kirby should have been the one replaced, I'm less sure. Defensively we were all over the place; no idea why McNulty got sponsors MoM and Hill was slow to get back meaning Ihiekwe was often pulled out to cover at left-back. Kirby/Hughes/Mekki should have been providing back-up there. Hughes is much better in the centre, he kept cutting into the middle from the wing. Jennings was a mixture of good and not so good, while Harris went missing at times. I felt that the midfield conceded too much territory to the Imps resulting in us defending at times on the edge of the area. Defending is a team responsibility, not purely that of defenders. Taylor-Fletcher played well in patches, but made some poor choices close to goal. Norwood had a quiet game and Fenwick didn't do anything of note today, would need to see more to make a judgement.

MoM choice between Hughes, who, positional failings aside, battled hard and had a couple of chances or Davies who can't be faulted for the goals and generally kept well.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Lincoln had more of the possession and can perhaps feel a bit hard done by, not to get something out of this game, but the result's the thing.

There is no way Lincoln had more of the possession in that game, something I am certain of having watched the re-run on TV. Lincoln battled hard but we were worthy winners, as the watching Grimsby manager acknowledged. There was no fortune in our second goal either, it was good build-up by Harris and Hughes, aided by some poor defending. The game should have been out of sight well before their second equaliser.

However, I agree with you about the defence and the lack of protection from midfield, which was weird with both Harris and Jennings on the pitch. At 2-1 up we just seemed to show naivety at times and get caught with too many men ahead of the ball, although with Lincoln going to three at the back and throwing men forward they were bound to cause us some problems. Vaughan had a nightmare for the first goal, but was good going forward. I thought the choice of McNulty as man of the match was strange, but having watched the game again he actually played well as an individual, winning everything in the air and marking Rhead out of the match.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They really shouldn't have caused us that many problems with 10 men.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Doesn't look like any favours off Torquay, but Grimsby do the business against Wrexham.....so far. Margetts scores for Southport!

Player
Manager
John King
Dover four up at half time, which could just be the death knell for our play-off chances. Interesting to see that Payne, Miller and Deverdics have all scored for them again: three regular goalscorers from open play. Contrast that with our situation, summed up by Margetts' entirely predictable goal.

We are now relying on Braintree slipping up in their run-in, which is more difficult than Dover's, but they have been just as consistent in recent weeks. The top five look nailed on for the play-offs. At least Grimsby are pummelling Wrexham.

I can actually see us winning the majority of our remaining games, but our disastrous autumn has killed us. Another disappointment after the last three seasons is tough to take.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Five to Dover in the end and they are banging them in for fun, something we should have been doing yesterday !

Grimsby have been very consistent all season and are solid at this level. I think it'll take a huge slip from either Dover or Braintree to give us some hope.

Chances are very very slim now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes Dover I think scored 4 recently in another match. Even Norwood has gone off the boil recently for us, apart from penalties.

His last 5 goals for us have all been spot kicks.

Margetts scoring again at this level isn't a surprise. As I said he would have scored for us had he played yesterday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we won all our remaining games, we would get 84 points. If Dover and Braintree did the same, they'd get 92. That means five wins from eight games for each of them would be enough. Being optimistic, if we won 5 out of our six games, our rivals would need just 12 points out of 24 to deny us. Our bad autumn spell lasted too long and our recent spate of draws have cost us.

drwhoman

Agree BBTC. In terms of personnel and their ability to play football at times Rovers have been a play off team all season long. The trouble has been their inability to cope with the kick and rush teams and also their failure to take their chances. One cannot blame Gary directly for this but his seeming inability to manage the likes of Mangan and Margetts has been noticeable. Margetts gets farmed out to be replaced by a guy who has scored at at a higher level but is unproven in the National League. Why? Oh well - we can but hope.

drwhoman

Sorry I forgot. I hope Fenwick is successful but on the face of it signing a guy who cannot get a gig with a team fourth from bottom of Div Two is not encouraging. I will shut up now - depressing myself!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
To be fair, Vaughan could not get on the bench at Cheltenham but is now a regular with us. Different faces fit with different managers.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
If we finish sixth, at best, then it will indeed be that awful autumn spell that's cost us.
But, back then, would you have settled for sixth and on a good run of form with a bit of feelgood factor to take into next season? I would, after the depression of the last couple of seasons.
It would have been nice to bounce straight back but I think this league has been a culture shock for us fans (though GB thought he had a squad of seasoned NL players to cope). And the vibes I have had from MP suggest that he thought this season would be learning curve.
As has been said before, if we fail will GB be entrusted again? If we maintain a run then I think he will be.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
One thing I think we can all agree on is that at the moment the team is playing with spirit and confidence, which means we should finish strongly even if we miss out on the play-offs. This should be expected, as the players and GB himself are all playing for their futures. Unless form plummets, I would expect GB and most of the squad to stay. We have a settled team, which is strong in all departments apart from attack. If GB can sort this out during the summer, we should be well placed next season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Huge season next year for everyone. GB will be under heavy scrutiny and the fans will expect more. If they don't deliver, support will dwindle further. People will only put up with so much..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Huge season next year for everyone. GB will be under heavy scrutiny and the fans will expect more. If they don't deliver, support will dwindle further. People will only put up with so much..
Agreed. There has been an amazingly positive response from home and travelling fans this season, considering the poor performance of the team over the past two and a half years. I expected the club to struggle but support has been fantastic. If we don't start strongly next season, changes will be inevitable.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree that brabin will be here next season. However, the concern for me is that if we could not make the play offs this season with all the financial advantages we had - parachute payment, Max power money etc - what guarantee is there that we will next time ? Next season will be more competitive still, with the parachute payments doubling and yet more bankrolled clubs like ebbsfleet coming up from below. We should have made the play offs this season and I am still far from convinced brabin has what it takes to move us forward. I am sure that palios expected we would finish in the top 5 as a minimum, and the ' continuity' we benefit from by keeping brabin might not be all it is cracked up to be given the age of a number of the squad.

M

Mal

I still do not believe we will be in the playoffs, looking at the run in for Braintree and Dover. Braintree have a technique of 'minimal game time' by which I mean 'minimise time ball in play' that seems to be serving them well. Dover seem to be scoring for fun. Tranmere still flatter to deceive. Some fancy play but little end product in general. All this suggests we will just miss out. I bet it is 0-0 at Kidderminster . Hopefully that prediction will result in a 6-0 win! Still, if lessons have been learned for next season and we send Brabin on a Strategy versus Tactics course....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You just never know whether keeping Brabin for another season is the correct thing to do but I do believe you have to give managers more than a season. He should really be able to make his mark next season if he is indeed up to the job. I do completely agree about the reservations though. Tough decision to make but like I've said before I didn't expect us to go up first time around but I do expect more next season and my gut instinct is to stick with Brabin.

Player
Manager
John King
You just never know whether keeping Brabin for another season is the correct thing to do but I do believe you have to give managers more than a season. He should really be able to make his mark next season if he is indeed up to the job. I do completely agree about the reservations though. Tough decision to make but like I've said before I didn't expect us to go up first time around but I do expect more next season and my gut instinct is to stick with Brabin.
I basically agree. I did not expect promotion this season, or even next, but I did think we would make the play offs, as did palios I am sure.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes not making the playoffs will be a major disappointment and falls short of the board and supporters' expectations.