• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Imps

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lincoln the next visitors to PP, for Good Friday's televised game. They've been a bit of a bogey team for Rovers this season, not scored against them in 3 meetings. Hoping that can change. Matt Rhead, their main striker is one of the NLs top scorers, though a bit off the boil recently, with Jack Muldoon getting on the scoresheet more. Ex-Rover Luke Waterfall plays for them and scored the winner in the league game at Sincil Bank.

The two recent defeats have as good as finished the visitor's play-off hopes, while Rovers' prospects have receded with recent results. While Braintree and Eastleigh have relatively easy home games, Dover face Torquay battling relegation and on a good run,while Wrexham visit Grimsby, so that pair may drop points. For any of that to matter, Rovers really need the win.

Team selection will be interesting, with Jennings and Higdon returning to training and loan striker Scott Fenwick available. With Ridehalgh out for a few weeks, presume GB will stick with the same back four. If Jennings is match-fit, may get an instant return, though Hughes played well and Harris got our goal last time out. I'd also consider resting Mekki, though with Mackreth failing to make an impact v FGR, Maynard could be considered on the right of midfield. Up front, presume we'll start with GTF behind Norwood again, although at least there are some attacking options now.

Prediction: Lincoln brought 285 for the Cup tie, given the timing and that the game's televised, not expecting any more, in a crowd of just under 5k. While Rovers are well capable of winning this, fear that more points may be dropped as the season peters out.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Regardless of how the teams around us do this game really is in the must win category and realistically we can do it, along with the 3 games after that: Kidderminster, Welling & Torquay. None of them easy - but winnable.

GK and defence will be the same. I'll be amazed if Jenno doesn't start given he has been the best player in the last month or so IMO. Boz makes a valid point re Mekki who has faded recently. I'd give Mackreth a go who hasn't had a fair chance yet, with Mekki an option from the bench. Team selection will be interesting if Higdon is fit - will we have 2 strikers on the bench?! However I expect the team will be something like:

Davies
Vaughan Ihikwe McNulty Hill
Mekki Jenno Harris Hughes
GTF
Norwood

Subs:
Turner
Hogan
Kirby
Higdon
Fenwick

But what about Maynard?! I can't believe how big our squad is!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, GB has real selection headaches - of the best kind. I wouldn't like to second guess his team, but I don't expect any surprises.

For once I'm upbeat and expecting a win and maybe by more than one goal! However, I don't expect our overall position to improve much and would be surprised if we ever get back in the play-off zone again this season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would start with the same team as last week, save for Jennings replacing Harris in midfield. GTF was excellent against FGR and does not deserve to be dropped, but it will be interesting to see whether GB throws Fenwick straight into the side.

Although we have a poor record against Lincoln this season, I thought we were slightly the better side in the two games I saw but let ourselves down with our usual failings in front of goal. Lincoln are a solid outfit but they come to PP with their play-off hopes over and on the back of two poor defeats. Hopefully they will have an end of season mentality tomorrow; if not, this will certainly be a tight and tricky affair.

I can't see Lincoln bringing more than about 200 for a game with little at stake from their perspective, but I would expect another healthy gate, despite the presence of the cameras. For the exiles watching on TV, apparently Ronnie is the guest in the studio tomorrow. Victory for Rovers is absolutely essential and if we fail to win I can't imagine a scenario where we would make the play-offs.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Simply must win this one. I have a feeling Fenwick will start.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If Fenwick starts, maybe in a 4312 formation as GTF deserves to keep his place.

It seems there's total indifference to this game from Imps fans, hope their team are as apathetic. Expect only a hardcore to travel, so the attendance will be in the mid/upper 4k range.

Player
Manager
John King
If Fenwick starts, maybe in a 4312 formation as GTF deserves to keep his place.

It seems there's total indifference to this game from Imps fans, hope their team are as apathetic. Expect only a hardcore to travel, so the attendance will be in the mid/upper 4k range.

I agree about GTF. I still think the gate will top 5,000 as it is a vital game, a Bank Holiday fixture and the sun is shining in Birkenhead.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Simply have to win this and monday to put pressure on the other teams around us think we will win it 2 1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mekki dropped with higdon and fenwick on the bench. No sign of Macreth.

Hopefully I'm wrong but not enough of a goal threat in the 11 he has picked in my opinion - for a must win game.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Happy days. Could do with favours off Grimsby and Torquay on Saturday

Player
Manager
John King
A deserved victory for Rovers, but boy do we make life hard for ourselves. I am delighted with the result, but that game summed up why we are only outsiders for a play-off spot and not entrenched in the top five. With the score at 2-1 we had three virtual one-on-ones with the keeper, but failed to score any of them. In recent weeks we have got away with our profligacy in front of goal because we have defended so solidly. However, today I thought we were poor defensively as a team, particularly in the second half, and we were so nearly made to pay for those misses. In terms of the overall performance, I thought we played a lot of decent football and it was certainly an entertaining game, probably the best NL game on BT this season.

Individually, I thought most players played well. The midfield trio of Harris, Jennings and particularly Hughes were excellent and GTF had another good game. There was plenty of creativity in the second half when the game opened out, with triangles developing in the centre of the field, and both Hughes and Harris had a part in the second goal and the build up to the penalty. Credit to Lincoln for fighting the way they did with ten men, but I think the better side won.

Hopefully the manner of today's win will give us a lift going into the final six games. On to Kidderminster.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We made very hard work of beating a very limited team, we looked shaky at the back when crosses came in, Vaughan was at fault for the first goal as just stood watching the player step in front of him and score & Ihiekwe left there player for the 2nd goal/While Hughes is a good footballer his finishing is dreadful should have had a couple today but wasted too many chances.

An important 3 points and we should really win on Monday but think we have left ourselves far too much to do to make the play offs unless either Braintree or dover fall apart.

Player
Manager
John King
While Hughes is a good footballer his finishing is dreadful should have had a couple today but wasted too many chances.

Strange to single out Hughes, as I thought Kirby missed two easier chances today (albeit he played well overall and was unlucky to be subbed).

Stickman

Player
Aldo
I don't think we should be over critical today. We got the win we needed and the game had five goals with a late winner. I thought it was an entertaining game in which we came out on top. We made genuinely good chances for once. Also, credit to Lincoln for pushing us all the way with 10 men, particularly second half. They defended well and always looked a threat with their direct approach. I wish there had been more matches like that at PP this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
First half there were too many long bals and to be honest was a big of a drag. Second half opened up and was more enjoyable. The chances we created second half, we should have been 4 or 5-1 up, they were really good chances that should have been buried.

But like Carthorse says above, we won which is what matters and we move onto Mon.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hopefully BT sport viewers will have enjoyed the match: 5 goals, a red card, a penalty, poor defending and comical finishing at times. Plus Ronnie got soaked on the pitch in the pre match interviews!

First half an hour I felt we weren't great and they edged it with their front two looking dangerous. Rovers came to life with Norwood again scoring from the spot. Poor defending allowed the 10 men an instant equaliser but a well worked move saw Kirby give us the lead again. Second half came with rovers creating at least 3 clear cut chances but powder puff finishing from the likes of Hughes & Kirby saw the inevitable happen when poor marking again saw a free header end up in the net.

Credit to Mekki for coming on, looking lively, and getting the winner.

Defensively we were not great today and hopefully it was a one off. The poor finishing is a real concern and its not the first time we have seen it. The amount of times when someone needed to just put their foot through the ball, but instead a weak side foot or ridiculous chip (notably GTF), saw the SWA getting very frustrated.

I personally felt Kirby had a poor game hence his substitution. Yes he got a goal but missed another good chance and on several occasions his control let him down and he never really beat his fullback today but won a few corners. GTF was fairly quiet as was Norwood. Hughes & Harris worked hard with the former probably my MOM, but again a poor finisher. Too much messing about when in good positions. Fenwick looked ok during his small cameo.

If we had a goal poacher in the side we would have won comfortably. Mangan of course is no longer with us but Margetts would have scored today for sure.

But as stated, a win is a win, and we roll onto Monday which is another winnable game. Our next 2 games are against the bottom 2 so an opportunity for 6 points.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Would have been a travesty if we hadn't won today. Saw more action at the Kop end second half than we've seen all season.
GTF inspires one minute and infuriates the next. If he was with any other team in NL though I'm sure he'd be first name on team sheet.
Hughes, yes not a great finisher (though Barrow might disagree!), but for me he's an unsung hero and I think his value will be noticed if he's unavailable at any stage before end of season. Definitely one we should be talking to for next season.
What is it about Macca and match sponsors? He gets MOM every home game! Jenno or Harris for me today.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Their lad's misskick second half on touchline was a beaut. National League at it's best. Has to rival Cheltenham's free kick as one of our best piss take moments this season!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Always interesting to come on here and see the different perspectives after a game.

It was a very nervy showing from Rovers today. Could have conceded an early og and Lincoln were the better side in the opening half hour. When Norwood tucked away the penalty after the Imps were reduced to ten men, I hoped we might be able get a grip of the game. Instead, we conceded almost straight away, only to get back in front with a goal which appeared to have some fortune in the build-up, though well-finished by Kirby. Half-time soon after, hoping that Brabin would calm things down, however the second half was mainly Lincoln possession, interpersed with some good Rovers chances when we did get the ball. Mekki came on for Kirby in a like-for-like, but didn't initially change the pattern. Davies made an excellent save from a McNulty miskick, but couldn't keep out a later free-header from the visitors to level. Fenwick replaced GTF, with little immediate impact, but with the clock running down, Mekki ran and shot to grab the Rovers winner. Lincoln had more of the possession and can perhaps feel a bit hard done by, not to get something out of this game, but the result's the thing.

I felt Brabin was right to rest Mekki and bring him on as an impact sub. Whether Kirby should have been the one replaced, I'm less sure. Defensively we were all over the place; no idea why McNulty got sponsors MoM and Hill was slow to get back meaning Ihiekwe was often pulled out to cover at left-back. Kirby/Hughes/Mekki should have been providing back-up there. Hughes is much better in the centre, he kept cutting into the middle from the wing. Jennings was a mixture of good and not so good, while Harris went missing at times. I felt that the midfield conceded too much territory to the Imps resulting in us defending at times on the edge of the area. Defending is a team responsibility, not purely that of defenders. Taylor-Fletcher played well in patches, but made some poor choices close to goal. Norwood had a quiet game and Fenwick didn't do anything of note today, would need to see more to make a judgement.

MoM choice between Hughes, who, positional failings aside, battled hard and had a couple of chances or Davies who can't be faulted for the goals and generally kept well.