• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Grimsby

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
OK performance but same old. Changes need to be made and this isolation of Norwood at home is crazy. Agree with all of the above. Bit depressing second half knowing it was all over but they only have themselves to blame.

Ahh well, there's always next season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just as a further observation, we again played Hughes as the deepest of the three midfielders today, despite the fact that he is more creative than either Jennings or Harris. This might have been ok away at Eastleigh, but in a home game when we have to get on the front foot and create, and had no other natural width or creativity in the team aside from Mekki ?

It is tactical decisions like these that give me such doubts about Brabin. The way we set up tactically it is no wonder our home displays are so dull and cautious and we create so little.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This is my concern for next season. Assuming no one comes in for Norwood, some players will leave and some will come in....but GB will continue to go with 1 up front at home.

Yes it works away, but not at PP, and something needs to change in that respect.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If he repeats that home form again he'll be gone.

drwhoman

The comments by RLC and Sparky are spot on. Nine home defeats and three (?) away says it all. GB seems to lack technical flexibility linked to the fact that Rovers have not always signed the right sort of players for this to be done? Please tell me I am wrong but our squad does not seem to allow for an alternative approach? Trying to get round it by signed guys with a perceived reputation like Higdon does not really do it. I know we do not like loanees but it might have been worth getting a creative guy on loan if only for a short period, recognising that they are a rare breed at lower levels? One more win was all we needed to make the play offs. All history now anyway. Incidentally, and another reason to clutch my head, is that Andy Mangan scored again today after Shrewsbury came back to win after being 3-0 down with 20 to go. I agree with Ian re the home form. GB will HAVE to go.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Twelve games ago I said we'd need 80 points to make the play-offs but I thought this would definitely be beyond us. So, credit to the team that they came so close. And finishing the season with a win for the first time in six years - since the famous 3-0 at Stockport.

On to next season. I think GB will stay based on form since Christmas and MP not wishing for any more upheaval. However, I'm not convinced we are ever going to get promoted under the current management. Tactical naivety and inflexibility coupled with poor man-management are unlikely to improve over the summer. I doubt the squad will be any better next season. We might be able to attract some good players, but I think we'll also lose some of our current stalwarts. Because of the disappointment of missing the play-offs, our unattractive style of play, our poor home record and a general unhappiness with GB, I expect season-ticket sales to be lower next season and if so his budget is likely to reflect this.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
It was confirmed by an insider tonight that Braintree's wage budget was £240,000 this season. Puts our own £1.1 million into perspective.

While we have stabilised this season, and finished closer to the third and fourth positions than looked likely for a long time, failing to reach the play offs is still a failure. Not a catastrophe like the previous two seasons, but a failure nonetheless. That has to be considered when Palios assesses the season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
While we have stabilised this season, and finished closer to the third and fourth positions than looked likely for a long time, failing to reach the play offs is still a failure. Not a catastrophe like the previous two seasons, but a failure nonetheless. That has to be considered when Palios assesses the season.
Stability is key and even though I'm disappointed we didn't make the playoffs it will be interesting to see what next season brings. We finished with a decent points total and GB will be expected to improve on this seasons total and ultimately improve our home form to keep the supporters happy.

I know a lot of people want him gone but I think we need to build on what we have. Streghten out wide and in the middle and get someone to support Norwood up front (who has been fantastic this season).

Noticed there wasn't any season ticket forms being dished out yesterday.

Player
Manager
John King
It is worrying watching Brabin's post-match interview that he thinks the home form was poor because we were too 'gung ho' in trying to win tight games and got picked off on the counter attack. This smacks to me of the wrong lessons being learnt. My assessment is that it was our failure to get a grip of games early on against the poorer sides, play with ambition and invention and score a couple of goals to kill the game that was the issue. We got 'picked off' because we lacked creativity, the games against weak sides were tighter than they should have been, and the score was often 0-0 or 0-1 going into the last twenty minutes.

From what he says it seems we will set up with a 4-5-1 at home again next season, and if anything will be even more cautious in our approach than we were this season. Even if it gets us the 'three more draws' he thinks we needed, that approach is not going to improve his relationship with the supporters.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The match itself was a non-event from early on when Braintree took the lead in their game. Although Rovers subsequently went ahead against Grimsby reserves, their goalkeeping coach, playing his first game for a couple of years kept the scoreline respectable. The second half felt more like a practice game or friendly, Rovers had chances to increase the lead, but the visitors also had opportunities. The subs were a little strange, Hogan replacing Vaughan, who wasn't injured and once again Liam not entirely convincing as a right-back, though good to see he was fit again. Kirby hardly touched the ball after replacing Maynard, who did ok in the attacking aspect of his midfield role, but strolled too often on the defensive side. Clearly Brabin has made his mind up to release Mackreth, who I'd like to have seen a bit more of.

The programme suggested the Palioi were going away to have a think about how to improve things, my thought is they should have a good idea what's gone wrong this season and how to rectify it already. I mentally groan reading RLCs excellent post above about Brabin's misconceptions on this seasons failings. For a start he should be thinking about how to gain the extra twenty or so points to make us automatic promotion contenders, not the three that might see us scrape into the play-offs. Also for the first time in many years, not a single home-grown player has been given a debut this season and the short-term approach to squad-building needs to cease; so many of the established pros who've joined, seem to be here just to collect their pay-check with entirely the wrong mental attitude.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Quite right, Boz, Talk of just needing another three draws is so negative and tells you a lot about GB's mindset. We should be aiming for automatic promotion every time. We were eight wins short of championship form. As RLC states above, a little more positivity is required in home games. You can get away with a holding game away from home and it worked well this season. But you've got to show more intent at home, if only to keep the fans on side.

drwhoman

I hope Nicola and Mark have a really good think as we are we are marking time with this guy. His comments reflect a lack of ambition added to his tactical inadequacies and man management. It is probably why he has not managed at a higher level. He is a National League Manager at best. This sounds harsh but I doubt if many here disagree.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I will be surprised if Brabin is gone in the summer and will be even more surprised if he changed the way we set up or play, think we are suck with him for another year sadly.

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

I hope the crowd numbers hold up. I think they have been incredible considering where we are in the pyramid and the football fare being provided.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I expect season ticket sales to be down but as ever gates will depend on league position and home performances. We could get record NL attendances if we do really well, but I would expect him support to drop off if we repeat this season's fare. I expect the away support to hold up. These are the true fans.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If next season's form is a mirror of this season's as bigmart indicates above, it will be a complete disaster and will turn even more fans away. They have to learn from their mistakes and improve. I do tend to agree with bigmart though, I think whilst we stick with the current setup, it'll be another season gone and little progress will have been made.

M

Mal

Since Macclesfield on January, Tranmere record was W11 D4 L4, from beginning of October to end of December, it was W5, D4, L6 and L2 in cup matches.

So that means, despite home form being below the norm, some lessons had been learned

If that sort of form continues , then over the season it would be a possible 24 to 26 wins......

The midterm period is what did for us.

I am therefore more optimistic than others, as I think a couple of good additions plus the youths we have signed up will make a positive difference.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Mal that it is the form in the second half of the season that will keep Brabin in a job and if we can carry that momentum into next season, as we did in 2012 (and Leicester did this season), the future may be brighter. I think we were the second best performing team from January onwards.

However, the home form and the lack of entertainment at PP this season still needs to be addressed head-on if the supporters are to be kept on side. Added to which, the way we set up under Brabin it is difficult to imagine us ever winning the league, no matter how many attempts he has. With Brabin in charge I don't think we will ever be adventurous enough to amass 100 points, which means we will subject to the lottery of the play-offs in a best case scenario.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
if we had beaten a woeful Welling team we would have made the play offs, what makes that even worse is they than got spanked by several other teams.