• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Grimsby

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Let's kick this one off nice and early.
We all know the score. We simply have to win and Braintree have to lose if we are to take the last play-off place.

On the plus side, Grimsby are already in the playoffs so might relax a bit in preperation for the play-off matches.

Braintree are at home to Altrincham however they are fighting for their lives at the bottom end of the table and need to win to have any hope of staying up and did beat (ahem) Welling Utd 5-0 on Sat.

Should be an interesting final day.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Grimsby's recent form at home has almost been similar to our own. Losing to Braintree was a blow but totally unexpected was the defeat to Chester last week, although I don't know whether they are starting to rest players as they have known for some time they would make the play offs. That said, and also similar to us, they have had recent away wins, at Woking and Aldershot.

The main difference however is scoring goals. They have the 2nd best goal difference in the league with Amond having 32 goals in all competitions with support from Bogle (13) and Arnold (8). They rarely struggle to score in a match and we aren't exactly free scoring.

Early team news sees Big Mac a doubt with an eye injury. I'm sure it would have to be something serious for him to miss out on such a vital game. If so although I'm a fan of Hogan (when fit), I fully expect Riley to play as he did ok at Eastleigh. It'll be a big game for him given he has hardly featured this season.

Prediction: much may depend on whether Grimsby play a full strength side. I think they will, partly as whilst they current sit 4th, and would as things stand play Dover with presumably the 2nd leg at Blundell Park, if things don't go their way they could drop to 5th or 6th, and be away the 2nd leg.

I'm going to be optimistic and go for a slender 1-0 win, but with Braintree winning or drawing so we fall at the last hurdle.

P.s - What we don't want is things not going our way as another home defeat could see more frustration from the SWA. Whilst I suspect GB is thick skinned, I wouldn't want certain players who are out of contract and we want to keep e.g. Davies, to think why do I want to play my football here next season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Altrincham's away form is dire. They have won only two league games all season (both against teams in the bottom half) and none since November. It's expecting a lot. Added to that, even if they do win, all Halifax need to do is draw or Guiseley to win for it to be in vain. So, if either of their Yorkshire rivals are up at half-time, I'd expect Alty heads to drop in the second half. However, this is football and anything can happen.

As for us, our home record has been bad throughout. In particular, we haven't beaten any of our promotion rivals at PP so far. Grimsby are already in the play-offs, but will probably want to finish on a high and avoid FGR in the semis. They need a draw to achieve this. Also, if Braintree are winning at half-time, will our lads' heads drop?

My prediction is for Braintree to win and us to scramble a draw.

If we win, I will take back a lot of what I've said about GB.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McNulty's eye injury sounds bad, better missing this game than losing the sight in an eye. I'm surprised that Riley is favoured ahead of Hogan now that Liam is fit.

I'd expect Grimsby to score, probably more than once, we're not going to be able to stifle them entirely. While they will field a strong side to get the 3rd place that would give them the 2nd leg at home, on current form Dover rather than FGR look like the side to avoid. I'd start with Mekki and have Kirby/Mackreth on the bench to replace him if tiring.

I don't expect us to win this game. Though it would be typical if we were ahead and Braintree losing at 90 minutes only for a Marcus Holness og to level the scores and put Braintree into the play-offs.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the result of this game is hugely important, not because I believe we have a realistic chance of making the play-offs but because we need to finally put in a decent display in a big home game. It was a great performance on and off the pitch last week, and if we follow that up with another victory we will finish sixth and the SWA will feel slightly more positive about next season. However, another car crash like the Welling and Wrexham games and Brabin and Palios will be under massive pressure over the summer.

I don't agree with Boz that Grimsby are guaranteed to score more than once. They have been awful in recent weeks, albeit they might lift their performance slightly to cement a higher play-off position. I think the outcome depends on our attitude. Play with the hunger and energy we did at Eastleigh and we will win.

I agree that Hogan has in general looked better than Riley, but Martin played well at Eastleigh and deserves to keep his place. I would also prefer to see Mekki start the game, even if he only lasts sixty minutes.

If we did somehow make 5th place it would be one of the highlights of my time supporting the club, given all the frustration that has gone before this season.

I don't think we will pick up any uncommitted supporters for this game. I would expect a gate of 6,000 including 1,000 Grimsby fans.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've inserted a comma to make my earlier comment clearer. In essesnce not expecting a clean sheet and in my view it's not unreasonable to expect Grimby to follow the pattern of our last 3 opponents at PP all of whom scored twice. Particularly as they have the NLs top scorer in Amond, with Bogle and Arnold capable of chipping in a few and like Rovers, their current form on their travels is superior to that at Blundell Park. Paul Hurst is a bit of a tinkerman and we have to hope that he'll rest a few.

On the Riley v Hogan question, Riley didn't look that comfortable when he came on at Guiseley, but as RLC & Sparky say he did much better at Eastleigh and it looks like that die is cast.

Agree with RLC on crowd. Some home fans can't stomach the thought of another final game of woe and Mariners fans will be happy rubbing it in if that happens, after we relegated them around a decade ago.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's a funny old game. It will either be jubilation that we reached the playoffs and everyone goes home happy or it'll be a chorus of boos and GB out chants.

Sadly the latter is more realistic.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's a funny old game. It will either be jubilation that we reached the playoffs and everyone goes home happy or it'll be a chorus of boos and GB out chants.

Sadly the latter is more realistic.
Assuming Braintree don't lose, I think the crowd reaction will depend on the result. No-one is expecting miracles, so if we win and play well, I don't expect any demonstrations. However, a clueless display resulting in a tenth home defeat would go down very badly. The worst scenario is if both Braintree and Rovers lose!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Slightly off topic but bizarrely, Forest Green have sacked their manager! By their standards they are on a poor run but the timing of it is very strange indeed. Maybe we'll be playing them next week!

Player
Manager
John King
Just goes to show how desperate Dale Vince is to get them into the Football League. If they don't go up, I would not be surprised if they had a £5 million budget next season ! FGR are really just the advertising arm of his eco-tricity businesses and I am not sure how much of the spirit of the original non-league club remains.

The FA really ought to get a grip of bankrolled clubs like FGR and Eastleigh. Unless wage limits are introduced as in Leagues One and Two, non-league football will go the same way as the Premier League.

Player
Manager
John King
Some home fans can't stomach the thought of another final game of woe and Mariners fans will be happy rubbing it in if that happens, after we relegated them around a decade ago.

Some of their fans seem to really hate us because of that game, which is strange as it does not stick in my memory at all. I don't remember our fans being particularly bad that day, certainly not on a par with the Bradford supporters when they relegated us.

If we don't make the play-offs I would actually like to see them go up, as they are a proper club who have served their time down here.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we don't make the play-offs I would actually like to see them go up, as they are a proper club who have served their time down here.
Agreed.

Regarding FGR, to sack someone now is crazy. You really do have to wonder about the people running these clubs.

"It was a difficult decision just a week out from the play-offs after Ady had taken us to our highest placed finish in the National League," chairman Dale Vince said.

"However, as a club we felt we needed to make this change, in order to give us the best chance of succeeding in the play-offs.

"We thank Ady for his efforts while at the club and wish him well in the future.

So your sitting pretty much in the top three all season and gets sacked after a few bad weeks. I hope they fail miserably in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Some of their fans seem to really hate us because of that game, which is strange as it does not stick in my memory at all. I don't remember our fans being particularly bad that day, certainly not on a par with the Bradford supporters when they relegated us.

Grimsby were winning 0-1 at one point. Can't remember if we'd levelled then, but Ian Sharps was sent off for a ridiculously harsh second yellow, which fired Rovers up and we ended up winning 2-1. I don't recall any heavy duty gloating either, but something sticks in their craw.

Don't mind who goes up if not us, save not FGR.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Regarding FGR, to sack someone now is crazy. You really do have to wonder about the people running these clubs.
Ludicrous - both the decision and it's timing. How many managers will want that job next season, even if they have a £5 million budget? It puts the GB debate into perspective. If Vince owned TRFC, GB would have been gone by November.

drwhoman

Now there is a thought BBTC! (LOL!). Seriously though I can only agree that you have to wonder why this decision was taken at this time. It suggests to me that there is something else there that is not being talked about. For a guy to be as successful as the FGR owner it seems unlikely that he would take such a ridiculous decision unless this was the case.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think the FGR owner has been particularly trigger-happy in the past. Maybe his financial situation has changed and they need to get into the FL this year. Most of their fans seem happy with this decision and it will be interesting to see if new manager bounce works for them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
think it will all end in tears ad we draw 1 1 and Braintree also draw

drwhoman

A win and nice that Steve Jennings scored but bad home performances against poor sides did the damage. I see Braintree are managed by a P E teacher. Maybe we should get one!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A fairly poor spectacle that from the moment Braintree went 1-0 up had a real of end of season feel to it. No real atmosphere whatsoever.

It was a typical rovers home game in some respects. Plenty of endeavour and possession in their half, but a lack of quality and cutting edge. Norwood again missed a one on one but was foiled by a couple of good saves too. 2nd half they clearly had one eye on the play offs and the game fizzled out. The goal was a gift to Jenno after some poor defending.

Mom: I honestly can't think of anyone who stood out.

It wasn't today that stopped us making the play offs. It was all the home defeats especially the welling and Wrexham games.

No place for Higdon on the bench interestingly

Player
Manager
John King
Firstly, congratulations to Braintree on making the play-offs, a remarkable achievement for such a small club with limited resources.

Regarding today's game, I thought it was a decent performance and a deserved victory against a seriously weakened Grimsby side. I thought the display mirrored the whole season in many ways. It was competent and we did just enough, but were still found wanting in several areas.

I though we had control of midfield pretty much throughout and rarely looked troubled at the back, although The Mariners' first choice front pairing would have caused us a lot more problems. Individually, Riley was solid, Ridehalgh was improved on last week's showing and Mekki was as lively and industrious as ever. However, my man of the match would again be James Norwood.

On the negative side, given how poor Grimsby were and how much possession we had in the final third, we really should have won by more goals. The usual problems of a lack of support for Norwood and a lack of creativity in midfield were evident, and again we started with a lop-sided team with Maynard played out of position on the right. Until these issues are addressed I don't think we will perform convincingly at home.

It was good to see another decent crowd in PP given how slim our chances actually were. However, with only 500 visiting fans the police presence was ludicrous, heavy-handed and an utter waste of taxpayers' money. In this week of all weeks you would think Merseyside Police would show more sense.