• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Dons

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • AFC Wimbledon

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Dons
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, November 19, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 19, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King

Dynel Simeu

@dynel_simeu

After reflecting on yesterdays situation I want to apologise to my teammates, manager and fans. Within the heat of the moment I saw red for a split second and deeply regret what I did. It was wrong and I take full responsibility for letting the team down.

An out of character moment for me, age is not an excuse, I will learn from it. For the next few weeks I will work as hard as I can and give the team my full support untill im called upon again! #SWA

11:19 am · 20 Nov 2022 from Hammersmith, London·Twitter for iPhone

Retweet

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for posting RLC. Pleased he has apologised and hopefully he’ll learn from it. Not the first youngster of course to lose their temper.

I was chatting to a Carlisle fan earlier and we were saying in Paul Simpson and Micky we both have very experienced managers with success at this level. Simpson apparently like Micky prefers having his senior pros with a smattering of youngsters. However at league two level you do need those experienced players and our change in policy I’m sure goes against what Micky has used well for years. Of course Micky knew this and as a paid employee of the club he will do his best but you can imagine he is frustrated at the road we’ve gone down. The budget will influence this possibly although I know Carlisle struggle to attract players and you wonder if the likes of Stevenage and barrow have better budgets that us, but have a style and approach that has seen them in the play offs so far.

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for posting RLC. Pleased he has apologised and hopefully he’ll learn from it. Not the first youngster of course to lose their temper.

I was chatting to a Carlisle fan earlier and we were saying in Paul Simpson and Micky we both have very experienced managers with success at this level. Simpson apparently like Micky prefers having his senior pros with a smattering of youngsters. However at league two level you do need those experienced players and our change in policy I’m sure goes against what Micky has used well for years. Of course Micky knew this and as a paid employee of the club he will do his best but you can imagine he is frustrated at the road we’ve gone down. The budget will influence this possibly although I know Carlisle struggle to attract players and you wonder if the likes of Stevenage and barrow have better budgets that us, but have a style and approach that has seen them in the play offs so far.
Srevenage probably do have a good budget this season, if you consider they have players like Rose, Bostwick and Norris. Their owner funded them to the top of League One not so long ago.

Barrow probably don't, but they are the exception that proves the rule and it remains to be seen whether they will actually make the play offs.

The reality is we only have two fit centre forwards at the club, which is clearly unsustainable and inadequate for a promotion challenge.

I agree about the balance between youth and experience. I don't think it is right in the current squad and that is reflected by a lack of leadership at times, for example the period after we conceded the first goal yesterday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That figure is the away average for the season as a whole. There were 2-300 yesterday.

The Rochdale fans were compressed into the same area, presumably to cut stewarding costs.
That’s more what it looked like!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What concerns me is the performances of the more experienced pros, those who’ve played more than 2 seasons professionally. Of those who’ve largely been available, only Turnbull has come up to expectations so far. Are they throwing in the towel because of the dampening down of those expectations or getting complacent as however half-heartedly they play, there’s no risk of getting subbed?

Player
Manager
John King
What concerns me is the performances of the more experienced pros, those who’ve played more than 2 seasons professionally. Of those who’ve largely been available, only Turnbull has come up to expectations so far. Are they throwing in the towel because of the dampening down of those expectations or getting complacent as however half-heartedly they play, there’s no risk of getting subbed?

The form of the experienced players is variable: Turnbull good, Morris mixed, Hemmings poor. However, as a squad we lack experienced voices and natural leaders that can direct and lift players when they are struggling and help the team to overcome a period of poor form. There is an imbalance between youth and experience.

The poor form of certain experienced players will be influenced by the inexperience of some of the players around them. Hemmings being partnered with Nevitt is a case in point. Somebody like Hemmings could also benefit just as much as some of the youngsters from having a McMulty type to cajole him.

I agree about a lack of competition and options in key areas which hinders us further.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC, I’d agree there is a problem with natural leaders amongst our experienced players, which is certainly contributing to current difficulties

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes the lack of leaders is a big issue. In recent seasons we had Clarke, spearing, Murphy, Vaughan who would happily give out a rollicking when needed.

Doohan is no youngster as he’s 24. However I don’t think I’ve even seen him shout. Byrne, Hemmings, Morris, Lewis have plenty of appearances between them but all seem to be the quiet types or certainly not what you’d call natural leaders. Same goes for merrie and OConnor - again not really very vocal.

I’d argue that along with signing injury prone strikers, it’s another example of poor recruitment not replacing leaders.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I think Turnbull is a bit of a leader and seems to do his fair share of communicating with others (when he’s on the pitch of course). Aside from him, it is difficult to pinpoint any genuine leaders or particularly vocal players. In reality, we should have a spine that exists of leaders, but that’s a bit of a Utopian outlook I guess. They could let their football do the talking and lead by example, but that’s pretty scant right now to be effective.
Even the 12th man has been fairly subdued in recent times, but the results have clearly affected their output.