• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Dons

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • AFC Wimbledon

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Dons
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, November 19, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 19, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We could really do with a win on Saturday. Not just to stop our winless run which currently stands at 6 league games, but also to give the fans a boost who only saw 2 points (and 1 goal), from the 3 home games we had at the end of October. You could be forgiven for thinking that morale might be low given our winless run but the performance at Swindon, first half an hour in particular, shows we can be positive, play with some freedom and look dangerous. The Dons were of course relegated from league one last season and haven’t adjusted too well to league two yet sitting 15th in the division, 3 points behind ourselves. A midweek FA cup win against Weymouth was straightforward and the Dons away performances of late haven’t been too bad including a win at Rochdale and a draw at Salford. The Dons have some half decent players at this level including ex rover loanee Alex Woodyard who had a successful spell with us, also former Colchester midfielder Harry Pell who adds height and Josh Davison who doesn’t score many but can be a handful up front. Defender Chris Gunter is with Wales at the World Cup and despite some decent recent away results, their away form is 2 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats. Our home record sits at 4 wins, 2 defeats and 3 draws.

As for rovers I’m not expecting any major changes as 1. We don’t have the biggest squad and 2. The Swindon performance was decent. Turnbull suspended and it’ll be interesting if Tom Davies is fit to come back in as he hasn’t had too many minutes since injury (Carlisle FA cup game apart). Let’s hope he is fit as I’ve not got much faith in Byrne or Jameson. Simeu could do with someone like Davies alongside him who is vocal and experienced. Will be interesting whether Lewis starts assuming he is available and given the performance of the front two last week. Perhaps Lewis will come in for Nevitt.

Prediction: a draw for me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Is this a grudge match, the first time we've played since their role in our demotion? Some SWA are portraying it as such, would be interesting to hear other thoughts on this. As Sparky mentions, they also have Alex Woodyard as captain, who was on loan to us and the subject of an offer before opting to join Wimbledon instead. Some of those ITK suggesting that Mark Palios wanting to delay the contract until the last possible minute may have been a factor in this. Don't recognise that many other squad names, though think Pell featured in the Carabao Cup game for Accrington before moving south again. They seem to be in reasonable form at present.

Due to the encouraging showing at Swindon, I agree that Micky will be keeping the changes to a minimum. Turnbull's enforced absence means a likely start for Tom Davies, though whether he's fit enough to last the full match remains to be seen. Bristow has looked a little vulnerable on our left in recent games and we need to ensure greater protection on that flank, Wimbledon played 4231 in their last away game, so Rovers could try a 4411 with Morris behind Hemmings, but more likely we'll stick with 442, though whether Lewis or Nevitt is hard to call. It will be interesting to see what the crowd numbers are like, available on Ifollow depressing the attendance, but possible boost from Scouse teams deprived of their football fix.

I agree with Sparky, draw most likely outcome.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes first time we have played them since the absolute disgrace of a decision of ppg. I fancy us to get back to winning ways 2 1.

drwhoman

Yes- the crowd will be interesting. I would imagine that all L1 and L2 teams will be looking for an attendance boost during the World Cup. As to this game, as always with their limited scoring ability, Rovers need to score first. That said, a draw looks most likely, even 0-0.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
My theory is that we have to win a game soon so why not Saturday. Even though we are winless in six, we are only 3 or 4 points off the autos. We need another first half like we saw against Swindon and hopefully we can push on from there. We need goals though, hopefully we can score more than 1!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, I would particularly enjoy winning the game on Saturday after what happened in 2020. We certainly owe them one.

As commented above, Wimbledon have a few decent players, although like ourselves they apparently have a relatively inexperienced squad. Woodyard was excellent when he was here and Pell is one of the better players in the lower divisions. Davison is a bustling sort of forward who did reasonably well at Swindon last season. The visitors are in decent form, unbeaten in seven in all competitions.

Micky has confirmed in his interview that Davies will slot in for Turnbull. Nevitt is a slight injury doubt and did not train today, in which case Lewis might play just off Hemings as a false nine.

With the exception of the two Carlisle games recent performances have been pretty good, and I think we will win on Saturday.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
would be great if the forwards could get scoring 3-0 rovers 6500 in attendance, I've got a Xmas party to feed roll on January then i can rest for a few weeks

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The visitors are unbeaten in their last eight games in all competitions.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
let us just hope for a good performance and more than 1 goal who cares who scores them we have not scored much in last season and a bite

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As expected Davies in for turnbull and Lewis in for Nevitt. Elliot on the bench

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No real surprises with that line up. See how it goes.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Again from our left, just about their first goal attempt too. A lot of aimless long balls from Rovers look better when keeping the ball down

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Poor goal to concede again, we don't look very good so far

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Idiotic from Simeu who kicks their lad and gets sent off. Hawkes taken off for Byrne. Ok Josh is on a yellow but Morris hasn’t done anything of late and hawkes has a goal in him

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Tranmere are shit so glad i am not watching this goals goals goals my fucking arse the front two are useless just nothing in the team just not good enough

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Doohan with a good save to keep it at one, we're are not getting anything out of this game we are very poor