• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v coventry

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Not looking good elsewhere either. MK Dons, Wimbledon and Rochdale are all winning. Small consolation that Southend and Bolton are down.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A bad afternoon all round. Thought Micky got it tactically wrong changing what worked well against Blackpool and going 3-5-2. Their first goal looked like an error from the keeper to me who assumed no one would get to the cross so moves from the middle of the goal where goddens header went. Morris who isn’t a left back gave the ball away initially.
CJ gave us hope making it 1-2 and we started the second half brightly. I thought Morgan might miss the penalty - he was very worked up and we needed composure at that point. No surprise he missed and CJ should have taken it. Their third goal was 3 passes from their own box and they scored. Perkins who was poor gave the ball away for the 4th which led to a deserved penalty.

we didn’t deserve anything from the game and Micky and the players need to look at themselves. Perkins, CBT and others were poor. Agreed with the CJ as MOM but really don’t understand Mellon changing system as he was so complimentary after the blackpool
Game. Woods who played so well at left back switched to centre half and we ended up playing 3 centre halves when they only had one up front

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Has a bid come in for Manny?

rumours Pompey have made a bid but he was injured today. He’s under contract for another 18 months so it would have to be too good to turn down as if he left some would say we’re doomed

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A very disappointing afternoon.

The first half was pretty awful. We were all at sea defensively, with the absence of Monthe and Ridehalgh really telling. There was a lack of organisation and understanding at the back and individually I thought Woods and Ray were poor, with both of the goals coming down their side. We have used Morris as a wing back several times this season, but not with so many personnel changes elsewhere, as Sparky mentions. It is difficult to defend against a team that moves the ball as well as Coventry, but even so I thought we were passive and showed them too much respect in possession. The midfield three in particular struggled to get tight enough and affect the opposition when they had the ball.

The beginning of the second half was a major improvement. We upped the tempo and got about Coventry and had several decent chances in addition to the penalty, with a couple of efforts blocked on the line. It is difficult to argue with the final scoreline, but had Ferrier's penalty gone in there was a real chance we would have taken something from the game. As it was, we were picked off on the break and the game was over.

Individually, I thought Ray struggled badly in the first half but was improved in the second and also had a threat in the opposition box. Woods' distribution was decent and he got the assist for the goal, but I was not always convinced by his defending. The midfield duo improved after half time, but that is still an area of obvious weakness. I thought Morris had a decent game and Ferrier worked hard, but I agreed with the sponsors' choice of Jennings as man of the match. In addition to the goal, he had our other best opportunities and was energetic and inventive throughout.

We have to hope the new signings have a significant impact, as the squad as it stands does not really look good enough to survive, particularly with the spate of additional injuries.

Player
ian goodison
can cope with getting beat & also being outclassed which will happen now & then, but after the blackpool game how CBT got a start is beyond me I don,t know whether micky thinks he,s cleverer than he is but 2 in midfield was never going to work against a city side who played like they did,i would like to have seen potter in a 5 man mid-field to protect the defence, caprice once again never gets close to his opponent and at times is s headless chicken, seriously worried now as to whether micky has the nous to change things around before we freefall into lg2

Player
Manager
John King
We did play three in midfield (at the beginning of the first half and switched back to it in the second).

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That was awful, we didn't follow runners hardly put a tackle in and were easily beaten which could have been much worse.

the table makes from reading

Player
aldo
to say im pissed is not the word first things first and i don,t care what you all say . this is to MARK P . the fact we don,t have a qualified grounds man or manager . is why the pitch is shit , sorry as for the garbage on the pitch . first game due to my work . well i wished i had not botherd reminded me of the second half of the macc game a few years ago no defence it was shocking Perkins was terrible . morgan was rubbish . if i honest apart from 15 mins into the second half the team where crap and thats being kind . mm has to look at himself as well . don,t care he trains the team can,t beat the first man or defend set plays . he wont play younger players . the clubs kids ok they prob are not ready . im glad i don,t have to do it much . but i do love my rovers and im hurting tonight and pissed off

Player
aldo
we need a total clear out . playing two 36 year old plus players who are slow in the middle of the park against faster better players is going to happen but to not try to change stuff play the odd young player be stubborn ohhhhhh im on one . thats all might calm down tomoz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
By and large the recruitment has been poor, Morris has been very good, ferried good in patches but the rest have been disappointing or worse

Player
Manager
John King
By and large the recruitment has been poor, Morris has been very good, ferried good in patches but the rest have been disappointing or worse
You get what you pay for unfortunately, and we have been shopping in Netto for the most part.

I just don't think Mellon has been sufficiently backed to turn a National League / League Two squad into a League One squad in a few months, but if we don't have the money we can't spend it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
You get what you pay for unfortunately, and we have been shopping in Netto for the most part.

I just don't think Mellon has been sufficiently backed to turn a National League / League Two squad into a League One squad in a few months, but if we don't have the money we can't spend it.
our budget is comfortably more than Accrington get they stayed up last season and look likely to this season,

Player
Manager
John King
our budget is comfortably more than Accrington get they stayed up last season and look likely to this season,
But they won League Two at a canter and had a better squad than ours before reaching this level. We jumped two divisions in two seasons via the play offs and were very reliant on one player (Norwood) last season.

Aside from Accrington, I doubt there is a club with a lower budget than us (Rochdale perhaps). Just because Coleman is over achieving at Accy, does not mean we are underachieving relative to our resources.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
But they won League Two at a canter and had a better squad than ours before reaching this level. We jumped two divisions in two seasons via the play offs and were very reliant on one player (Norwood) last season.

Aside from Accrington, I doubt there is a club with a lower budget than us (Rochdale perhaps). Just because Coleman is over achieving at Accy, does not mean we are underachieving relative to our resources.
Wimbledon will have a low budget, Wycombe is fairly low.

Another problem is a reluctance to play some players. Payne never gets a go anymore yet Mullen who does not look up to it often gets a run out but does little

Player
Manager
John King
Wimbledon will have a low budget, Wycombe is fairly low.

Another problem is a reluctance to play some players. Payne never gets a go anymore yet Mullen who does not look up to it often gets a run out but does little
Wycombe had major investment in the summer, so I doubt their budget is lower. Wimbledon possibly, but they are struggling too aren't they ? The fact we can only name two or three clubs emphasises our problem.

In reality, I don't think Payne or Mullin are good enough (I agree that Payne offers more), but both have had extended runs in the team. I don't think swapping one of those two for Ferrier or RHM changes a great deal.

I don't think there are eleven better quality players sitting on the bench or in the stands that will significantly change our fortunes. You can tinker at the edges, but ultimately that is all you are doing - tinkering.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit deflated after today's showing. Started the game awfully again and not for the first time this season found ourselves a goal or two down in the first half. We did however do well to get back into the game and as good as Coventry are at passing and counter attacking their defence is a little shaky and there were some scares in the second half. The penalty was a big turning point in the game. Still, we are down there for a reason and we have to improve the quality in the squad or it may well be curtains.

Player
aldo
when morgan was having his warm up they where having shooting drills . he hit most over the bar or at the keeper . he did not look to comfy with his run up and i said to my wife he will miss just did not look right to me . and don,t get me started on blacky taylor yes i know its not wright but he was shocking . ...