• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v coventry

drwhoman

Maybe we are paying the price for back to back promotions. There was no time to build a squad gradually that might cope at a higher level and hence the need to take a punt on older experienced and injury prone players who might buy the club time to settle in Div One. Clarke is another example of that. As has been said we largely got where we are through Norwood who has gone. BTW, I see he scored today.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe we are paying the price for back to back promotions.
I would say definitely, not maybe. I don’t think anyone would take it away but you have to be realistic about our ability to cope this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not sorry that I missed this one, though hardly getting value for my 2019/20 season ticket. While the squad is stretched, surely once we'd gone 1-3 down, MM should have looked to make changes, bringing Potter on for the jaded Perkins and it might have been worth giving Walker-Rice ten minutes to see whether he could hack it at this level.

In a situation where there are only 3 relegation places, you would hope Rovers could take advantage even allowing for the unexpected promotion. If we go down, it doesn't seem that we'd be well equiped to come straight back up, so there is a stronger argument for the Palioi to loosen the purse strings. Who knows if they will.

Player
ian goodison
I don,t think it,s just down to budget at times I,m not sure what formation we play at times but as I posted earlier I would have potter starting along with danns & perkins why mellon persists with 2 in midfield is not working, can,t he not see it? or is he to stubborn, I know one thing if brabin had been in charge he would have been slaughtered

Player
aldo
i know a few ex players not naming them . as they say mm has not got the brains for lg 1 . im not saying it but his record in lg 2 is very good in lg 1 not so

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Defo need someone sitting in front of back four. Danns and Perkins will get overrun in the middle more than not. Given shortage of choices due to injuries, could Callum Woods do a job there (provided he is not required elsewhere)? Obviously has defensive qualities and distribution seems decent might be a temp option until MM maybe signs the answer.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The latest suggestion is that Monthe is staying.
Given he's tied for another 18 months, there is no hurry to cash in. With him and (I hope) Peter Clarke in the middle, we should have a good chance of staying up. We won't get a big enough fee to fund a replacement. He is one of the few players of League One standard and the right age that we have. Letting Monthe go would also send an awful message to the fans. As for Manny, moving to Portsmouth may get him a pay rise, but no guarantee of a higher standard of football next season. I'd tell him if he stays till the end of the season and a decent offer comes in, he can go if he wants to.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
i know a few ex players not naming them . as they say mm has not got the brains for lg 1 . im not saying it but his record in lg 2 is very good in lg 1 not so
In fairness, AM, Micky has had little chance to manage in League One - just a season there with Shrewsbury battling relegation, where he kept them up. I don't think you need a better brain to manage in League One than League Two. But you do need better players! Micky knows what's needed as he has spent most of his playing career in this league or above. If he gets the backing of MP to sign two or three more players and the fans get off his back, we should see a steady climb to safety.

Player
ian goodison
I went to the blackpool game and CTB was a disgrace yet starts yesterday and guess what he was just as bad, I went to the burton game and watched caprice get slaughtered by akins yet starts yesterday I know we have injuries but at some point mellon must see things are not working , is he scared to take chances or to stubborn? at the moment I have little faith he can sign decent players or change things around but hope to be proved wrong

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We were effectively playing with 10 men yesterday, CBT was so poor.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure how Caprice could have been replaced given that Wilson and Ridehalgh are both injured. Jake was by no means the poorest player yesterday and most of our problems came down the opposite wing. CBT was ok against Blackpool, but poor yesterday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Caprice was also decent against Blackpool so cant blame Micky for playing him yesterday, especially with the injuries.

im still annoyed that Micky changed the shape from the Blackpool game. After that game he was so complimentary about the second half so I was amazed he changed it to 3-5-2 for Coventry and put Morris left wing back. Madness. He changed it at 2-0 seeing the error of his ways but the damage was done By then. You can talk about injuries but that was his decision.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I still don't think we can purely put yesterday's showing down to the formation.

We have played a 532 with Morris at wing back several times this season, including games against good sides like Rotherham and Peterborough, and had good performances, and Morris has generally looked fine at wing back. To me, the biggest problem was the personnel at the back: Ray, Woods and Nelson have hardly played together this season and looked like complete strangers, with Ray and Woods particularly poor. A lack of leadership and organisation was a major issue again.

However, I agree that using Woods as a third centre back probably contributed to the defensive problems, as he did not look comfortable in that role at all, even if he has played there at his previous clubs.

I think Micky believed a passing side like Coventry would football us to death if we started with a 442. As it was, they outpassed us anyway in a 532, but there was a logic to starting with that formation.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A lack of leadership and organisation was a major issue again.
I’m hoping the addition of Clarke will bring some much needed organisation to the defence who are leaking too many goals. There are no real leaders on the pitch so I think it’s a good move by the club.

If we can stop giving away early goals we might stand a chance. I’m not saying one man will make all the difference but it will help.

Player
ian goodison
instead of 5-3-2 why not 4-5-1 that way we may not be played off the pitch conor could be one of the 5 and could offer support to ferrier, as for CTB the position we find ourselves in means we need grafters not people strolling around not breaking sweat,

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think the formation was changed to match the formation that Coventry were playing but it really didn't work. Quite how Corey played so my h of the game is beyond me, the put in no effort at all and should have been taken off at half time.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Was that the worst defending we have ever played? A disgrace to L1 -Coventry are good but it was men against boys. It almost looked as if we were trying to make a How Not to Defend training video...
CBT should have been taken off earlier - I don't care how much potential he has but it is now clear why RHM is still at Villa and CBT is not - he was lazy as. We should have made other substitutions in second half once 3-1 down. and at least see if DWR can cut it at this level. Nothing to lose but no once again no further subs when Perkins was again looking knackered. Baffling.
Can only hope that MP loosens the purse strings and MM can bring in 2 or 3 more decent players although it must surely be questionable to even the most ardent supporters whether MM is the right man to be trusted with further recruitment or whether he has also stepped up to a level he is not comfortable at - after all he brought in Ray on a 2 year deal only in June (not a Netto bargain buy) and now he is pretty much last choice as CB.